Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

64 Wiper motor 6v to 12v build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
volksian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

volksian wrote:
In my case, I need a new switch and 12V --> 6V dropper
Close on 50 quid for the switch after postage Rolling Eyes
volksian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And now the switch is working again just by fiddling with the terminals. Rolling Eyes
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Oh the joys
61redbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I felt this was important to post in the forums.

As part of the conversion of my car to 12V, I also got a new stock wiper switch. This is the one with terminals #30, #31, #31b, #53, #53a and #53b and the support for the washer hoses. I guess it would be a 1968 year switch that the parts places are selling.

I relied on a document from the OldVolksHome site to get the wiring correct to work with my 6V wiper motor in my 1961 Type I sedan.

I also referred to the wiring diagrams for 1961, 1967 and 1968 here on TheSamba in the Technical section.

Unfortunately, I kept blowing the fuse for this circuit as soon as I turned the ignition key to ON even if the wiper switch was OFF.

After some troubleshooting, I discovered that on the switches being sold these days, at least the ones at Cal. Import Parts, the terminals are NOT like the OEM ones for #53 and #53a.

Specifically, on these new aftermarket switches, low speed (black/purple) should be connected to terminal #53, not #53a. It turns out that terminal #53a is the "parked" circuit. It is connected to terminal #30 (+) when the switch is in the OFF position. Terminal #53b is still the high speed terminal (black/yellow).

I have the single speed motor, and so I don't need terminal #53b.

Because of this swap of the identity of terminals #53 and #53a, you will blow fuses if the black/purple wire is connected to #53a when using this 2-speed switch with a single speed wiper motor. This is because the black/purple wire is connected to ground via the brown wire when it is in the park position. Normally this would not matter if the black/purple wire from the motor was connected to the correct terminal on the switch for low speed, but due to the swapped identities on these switches now sold, that terminal #53a is actually tied to #30 (+) when the wiper switch is OFF. This is why my fuse would blow each time.

I have found schematic wiring diagrams on the internet that show this alternate designation. It sounds like this switch was possibly designed for some other vehicle, and is being sold as the correct one for VWs. If so, a note should have been included with the switch that carefully notes the change of meaning of terminals #53 and #53a.

C.I.P. owes me about a half-dozen 8A fuses! Heh...

I have to think that if one were to salvage an original switch off a 1968 VW, the terminals would be the original designations and would be correct when viewing the wiring schematic for that year car (they are here in the Technical section).

I hope this is helpful. I couldn't understand what the problem was until I got out my DVM and set it to audible continuity test mode and saw what was connected to what on the switch in the positions of OFF, low speed, and high speed.
barry cox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:31 am    Post subject: wipers Reply with quote

C?an you take a 67 wiper assembly, and switch and install it in a 65 Beetle? It is 12v right?
Bugzilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb03830 wrote:
Hey what is the problem with the Bosch motor? That is what is in mine. If I need to order a SWF Motor were can I get on on line?

I also have a Bosch motor in my '59--and in my research I found this thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5...p;start=40

mukluk wrote:
Projects for today included swapping the wiper motor over to 12V with a conversion armature from WW and stripping/priming the cowl.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

First off, I know WW says the conversion armature only works with the SWF motor, but I figured I'd give it a go in my Bosch unit -- if it didn't work out then I'd see about sourcing a SWF motor. I'm happy to say that it seems to be working just fine, the trick is I did need to shim the armature slightly to get decent contact with the brushes. To shim the armature, I slipped two thin washers over the armature shaft where it passes through the housing, that brought the end of the armature up flush with the top of the carbon brushes and still let the splines of the gear mesh well in the drive portion of the motor. You can see a washer like the ones I used near the assembled wiper unit below.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I may take the same approach: Buy the SWF armature, try it in the Bosch motor per Mukluk's writeup, and if I don't have the same success, I can find a 6v SWF motor to convert.

T
Split 1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Wiper motor 6v to 12v build Reply with quote

Bringing this post back to life
I have the Swf wiper motor and it only has 3 wires, I fitted the 12volt armature and rewired it according to the diagram and now it wont switch off?
Any ideas?
If I remove the wire from the wiper motor to the switch at 54 the switch works?

Thanks
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:24 am    Post subject: Re: 64 Wiper motor 6v to 12v build Reply with quote

I installed the 12V armature today and like others have noted, the diameter is slightly larger than the original and it rubs. Instead of machining the new armature down slightly like others have done, I undid the two screw that hold the stator winding of the motor and pushed it forward and retightened the screws. It seems to give enough clearance.
KOMBI NIKO
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrDarby wrote:
I converted mine during the time everyone was out of the armatures. A 1980-1984 Volvo 240 (245) wagon's REAR wiper motor is SWF and absolutely identical. I scrounged one for $10.00 and used it to convert mine and it works great.

been Looking for one of these motors for ages is this the right one?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/OEM-Volvo-240-245-Wagon...SwiylXAuP0

https://www.facebook.com/Demopgarage/

https://www.youtube.com/@DEMOPGARAGE/featured
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: 64 Wiper motor 6v to 12v build Reply with quote

It says 1992 which I don't think is what you're looking for. I think it looks much like the VW unit - this thread says it's showing the Volvo one:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=332237

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Wiper motor 6v to 12v build Reply with quote

There is an easier way, keep your six volt motor and string together six or seven 6 amp barrel rectifier diodes. If your solder skills are lacking you can use crimp connectors. You must pay attention to polarity. If the string does not work reverse the whole string. Would be good to epoxy mount them to a heat sink as they will get hot. Why not use a resistor? Because resistors do not load regulate and wipers will go too fast in hard rain and too slow in a drizzle. The more diodes the more the voltage it cuts. You could even use a rotary switch to give extra speeds. Dan
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: