Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Driver side upper engine mounting bolt
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This subject was brought up a little while ago in another thread, my main reason for asking about it was to determine whether there was a difference between the 4 speed and autostick versions of the starter bolt.
But what I found out from that thread, was that there was a threaded case insert from the factory for the upper driver's side bolt that tended to work loose depending on how many times that bolt had been messed with.
Look at this pic, see how big the hole for that upper drivers side bolt is compared to the others

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

That's because there was supposed to be a threaded insert in there, that allowed you to tighten the bolt from the transmission end without having to reach through behind the fan shroud. But if that insert falls out or works loose then that bolt will just spin when trying to tighten it from only one end, which is why mine and plenty others had to use a washer and nut on the engine side.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Joe Mama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know what that threaded insert is called officially? My 68 has the doghouse tin missing I believe because the last time the engine was put in this tin was left off so that the upper driver bolt could be put in (my engine doesn't have the insert) I have replaced the tin and would like to get that threaded insert to save time on the install with out skipping this bolt.

Thanks
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Mama wrote:
Do you know what that threaded insert is called officially? My 68 has the doghouse tin missing I believe because the last time the engine was put in this tin was left off so that the upper driver bolt could be put in (my engine doesn't have the insert) I have replaced the tin and would like to get that threaded insert to save time on the install with out skipping this bolt.

Thanks

I don't think there was an official name for it-- it's just a threaded insert. Tons of them are missing from what I have gathered, and no true actual VW replacement available. The guy helping me with my rebuild is actually going to manufacture one for me, and I think we are going to try to Loctite it in or something. The other 3 bolts do a pretty adequate job of holding the engine in so if you had to go with a washer and nut on the engine side of that bolt it should be fine.

1600 SP engine
Joe Mama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

For now the body is off so reaching it will be easy for the install but for future install/uninstalls I was hoping to have it correct since I have the dog house cooler and the tin gets in the way more and in my case the PO left the tin off the front.

I was actually thinking of making some thing also but I am trying real hard to not read about my self here in 10 years or so being referred to what that darn PO did. Smile
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
no true actual VW replacement available.

Just search for case captive nut or Part #111101135, several places sell them like VWheritage etc

http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_spares_Captive-nut-fo...183292.htm
johnnypan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the older case? fit the nut to the bolt and clean the threads,oil them a tad till the nut goes on like butter...then get after it and quit whining about how hard it is..I use a small pair of vise grip for weight on the bolt side and work the nut side with the finger tips..

oh, and if you decide to nutsert the case be damn sure you drill it out correctly,many cases have been broken by hammering in a sert in a hole drilled too small.
Joe Mama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Joel for the link it's on order now.

Thanks Johnypan for the advise I will make sure it is looking good before pressing it in.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got this saved as Engine Case Nut Insert Captive Nut
https://www.wolfgangint.com/store/product/engine-case-nut-insert-111199102/
Part #111 199 102
This nut came on all dual relief cases. This is because with a doghouse cooler it is near impossible to get a nut off or on once the engine is in. If you're putting a dual relief case on a transmission that took a single relief case, make sure you grind off the locking boss for the bolt on the clutch arm side before you put the motor in. Be careful not to crack the case when installing. Rig up a pipe that has a notch to match the notch on the flywheel side of the case. Draw the nut into the case with a bolt.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joel wrote:
sb001 wrote:
no true actual VW replacement available.

Just search for case captive nut or Part #111101135, several places sell them like VWheritage etc

http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_spares_Captive-nut-fo...183292.htm

Well damn Joel, thanks-
there was another thread where I asked about this and everyone "in the know" said they were not available.

EDIT: That nut insert is for a twin port case, same as the one Cusser linked to. Any difference between those and the one that originally came with the single port case?? (What I have)

1600 SP engine
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good,
I suspect the main problem is people just don't know what they are called so have trouble finding them.

It was only twinport/dual port that had that setup up.

Single ports like yours just had a bolt with a normal nut on the engine side.

If you look closely the trans has a little V recess which locks the bolt head from turning so you can do up the nut from the engine sold without having to hold it.

Always causes havoc when people install DP engines in a SP trans and they don't get why the bolt won't do up properly.

Although that is with Manual trans, it's been way too long since I've worked on a Semi-auto so they may be different but I don't remember it being any different aside from longer bolts.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joel wrote:
All good,
I suspect the main problem is people just don't know what they are called so have trouble finding them.

It was only twinport/dual port that had that setup up.

Single ports like yours just had a bolt with a normal nut on the engine side.

If you look closely the trans has a little V recess which locks the bolt head from turning so you can do up the nut from the engine sold without having to hold it.

Always causes havoc when people install DP engines in a SP trans and they don't get why the bolt won't do up properly.

Although that is with Manual trans, it's been way too long since I've worked on a Semi-auto so they may be different but I don't remember it being any different aside from longer bolts.

Hmmm I was beginning to suspect that myself- that the single port cases didn't use the threaded insert. However that's a picture at the top of this page of my single port case, and the upper driver's side bolt hole is clearly larger than the other side. Did the bolt just wallow that hole out?? It just looks way too perfectly round to have been that. It REALLY looks like there used to be an insert in there! I wonder if I could just go ahead and use one of those inserts you linked to anyway...

1600 SP engine
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it works out ok with your auto bell housing I would, should make life easier.

Just looking at Lees, his has a nut there too but as you can see next to his oil cooler flange it is a type 3 engine and not original.

sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
I've got this saved as Engine Case Nut Insert Captive Nut
https://www.wolfgangint.com/store/product/engine-case-nut-insert-111199102/
Part #111 199 102

Any particular reason this is a different part # than the other link to VW Heritage shows? I would assume it's the same thing. If so I will probably go ahead and order one from here, since they are in the States and will get it a lot faster.

EDIT:

Holy F#&$K!!! They want freaking $16 to ship that!! They can go to hell as far as I'm concerned. They make bug city look like goodwill.

1600 SP engine
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have uncovered a bit more info regarding the upper left engine bolts. According to bug city's website, some of the "half moon head" engine bolts they sell are specified as bolts for this hole. (For example one of their ads says "Engine Bolt, Half Moon, Opposite of Starter Side, Single Port, 53-70, Used German.) This makes sense as the single port engine cases were not supposed to have the threaded insert and used a nut on the engine side, so the bolt would need to "catch" against something as that nut was being tightened down.
I still have no explanation why my case is a single port yet still has the larger hole for the threaded insert, unless it's that by the time I got this replacement engine (1990) VW Brazil had just gone to the threaded insert for everything and my insert is gone now. Anyway what I discovered yesterday was that I DID in fact have a half moon bolt on that side, but someone had twisted wire around it on the flex plate side of the bell housing to keep it in check so a nut could be tightened down.
So I think my best solution is to just use some kind of bushing in that hole to take up the slack for that bolt and then just use a nut on the engine side as was normal.

1600 SP engine
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
I got this replacement engine (1990) VW Brazil had just gone to the threaded insert for everything and my insert is gone now.

If it's a Brazilian case that changes everything.

I was thinking you still had a German single port.
Those later Brazilian cases had changed to the captive nut just for ease of install by then, so its probably just come loose at some point and been replaced by a nut.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joel wrote:

If it's a Brazilian case that changes everything.

I was thinking you still had a German single port.
Those later Brazilian cases had changed to the captive nut just for ease of install by then, so its probably just come loose at some point and been replaced by a nut.

Sure wish I still had my original 1500 H case but it was destroyed in my engine fire in 1990. Not only would my car still be completely numbers-matching original, but for whatever reason it always seemed to have much more power than this replacement 1600 has ever had (I could get it up to 80mph on the interstate with no trouble at all.)

All I know about my replacement case is this:

1600 SP engine
dopedemon69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello I just put another motor in my bug and the upper driver side bolt will not go all the way though. It's a stock bolt but right size. Is it ok to operate with only 3 bolts. Don't want to force it in. Can anyone offer any advice
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people go without that bolt--but I wouldn't.

Pull the engine back out far enough to thread the bolt in. Either you need to chase the thread in the hole or on the the bolt, or the bolt is the wrong size, or something else will make itself obvious.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
dopedemon69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's to late I may have already destroyed the threads. Is there a special bolt for this?
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps you can use a helicoil or Timesert (spelling incorrect?) to repair the damage.

Then, figure out how you managed to strip the pressed-in fitting, so you don't repeat the issue. 22 ft. lbs. is all you need to tighten any of those nuts and bolts that hold the engine to the transmission.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: