Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

threaded stud on rear wheel well repair piece?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fwillison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:14 am    Post subject: threaded stud on rear wheel well repair piece? Reply with quote

I got these to repair the area behind the rear wheel wells (just outboard of the bakelite heater ducts).

They have a threaded stud pointing out toward the fender.

Nothing like that on my car.
Anyone know what this is for?

It's #15 in the diagram

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: threaded stud on rear wheel well repair piece? Reply with quote

It's a stud used for rear fender front lower mount.
Not certain if they stopped using them on late models, my 66 has one on each side.

Here's a pic from the Gallery showing where it is...

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
fwillison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: threaded stud on rear wheel well repair piece? Reply with quote

thanks Bruce!
I thought that's what it might be.
My 73 doesn't have one, but looks like it just has another weld nut in that location
regordracis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: threaded stud on rear wheel well repair piece? Reply with quote

I'm in the middle of that repair on both sides right now. I removed that stud both times to make it easier to install in my body-on repair. I'm pretty sure it's not part #15 though. For both sides , I bought both parts for both sides , not knowing what needed to be replaced ; considerable difference in gauge of metal between the two parts. During the driver's side rebuild I found that part 15 came into use to cover the part from your pic , from the outside - it ended up covering a few factory-stamped holes in that other part as well as reaching down to the outrigger or pan. The gauge of this part gave me the impression it was more of a secondary layer ( more like actual body skin ) . During demolition of these areas it almost seems that the multiple layers of metal and the spaces between are where the rust took hold and created the trouble. My gallery posts are far behind where I am actually in my repairs ...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: