Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

engine seal
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnnyvw164
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:52 pm    Post subject: engine seal Reply with quote

So who makes a good quality rubber seal for the engine compartment (the one that seals off the upper part of the engine from the lower part when it's in the car). The one I got this past summer was shaped like a "J", really doesn't seal well like the OEM that has two lips that go above and below the sheet metal.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: engine seal Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnnyvw164
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: engine seal Reply with quote

Thanks for posting that Glenn. It's interesting, the car as I got it had the early style seal. What would be the actual years that was used? Mine is a late 69 M.Y.

The late style seal I got doesn't hook onto anything....the breast plate doesn't sit down low enough for the "J" to catch the edge of the sheet metal. Maybe I'll just have to get clever and figure out something to attach them together.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: engine seal Reply with quote

Model year 1967 was then they went to the 111813705D rear engine cover plate seal.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
2type2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: engine seal Reply with quote

I'm experiencing rather same problem with the late seal. I made my rear apron removable and did not have a seal issue.Then went and replaced the entire bottom seal. The only place it doesn't fit well is across the back where it doesn't quite seem wide enough to push against the plate. I did not ever have that issue with the first rubber I put in when first modifying the apron. Im thinking of trying a heat gun to force it to fit, but just miffed... more shitty parts again!
Does anyone know of any particular maker/brand of better-sealing rubber? I think many of us have a less than perfect fit .Although I don't like the foam material, it is interesting how well a bay bus lower engine foam piece
fits and seals. One of us has to find a solution I suppose.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: