Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 3 Panel Van Nirvana
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aaron M265
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct on the wrap around indicator and side marker's. Different parts of the world used either bullet's or wraps in the last few years of the early body as you can see.

Also as we know, some countries had amber side markers which were used as additional indicator / turn signal lights.

Thought I would post a couple more images of my beastie- this shows the complete lack of upper side trim and side marker on the left side and the lack of door lock on the passenger side - as you would expect for a 1500 'N' model.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I have the correct solid wheels for the car but since it has a CSP disk front and 356B drums on the rear, I thought that BRM's would look better.

My under hood area is not entirely correct - I have left off the card board liner above the fuel tank area because the paint is super good, but yes it should be there.

None of the panel van's assembled here had the side fender protective vinyl pieces under the hood either - just plain painted steel as you would expect on a 1500 'N'.

Also note on the next car that it is an early push button model. (I don't recall where I got these images from so sorry in advance if I didn't get permission).

The early 1500 'N' models (up to 1964 I think - I do not know the exact chassis number) also had the front hood held up with the metal prop.

Next time your working on your early body Type 3, have a look under your hood and you will find the hole on the underside where the rod locates into!

Obviously, the over riders and knuckle guards are later additions.

Being an early dash model, one can only guess it's a late 63 perhaps or early 64. I have a photo of the engine bay it's the later wider engine bay so it's not a VW-1500 model, but a 1500 'N' model.

Of course the front panels have been replaced with pop out windows too. I estimate that 30 % - 50 % of all panel vans' are now missing the front panels due to the owners deciding to use a back seat. These front panels are very rare now (compared to the rear most pair with the air vents).

http://1500notchback.blogspot.com/

Need to contact me? Email is faster than a PM - [email protected]

For T3 Panel Van information:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=389465
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
funkyp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also my squareback (with reat seats)

currently with an on going restoration Smile
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

funkyp wrote:
There is also my squareback (with reat seats)

currently with an on going restoration Smile

So your keeping it then?

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1500king
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, over the years I have had my Panel Van, I have gone to some length in making sure it stays exactly as a low mile Type 3 Panel Van.

Below is a little history of "PV0075"

I first noticed it being driven through the Adelaide hills around 1994(It was a long time ago!!) during a Volkswagen club cruise day to Birdwood. Although learning my way around early Type 3's, I approached the then owner Steve Keeley who bought the car from the original owner's estate in Strathalbyn, along with Aaron's Panel van. They were both owned by the same original owner!!! Both were even the same colour!

During the conversation, he promptly pointed out that it was a Panel Van. I walked around it again and again, awe struck at how straight and original it really was, but I could not work out the "brown" paint, again Steve pointing out that it was red and directed me to the area he had polished. I looked inside the car, had not seen an uncracked dash pad until then and Steve had also pointed out that the mileage was original(then around 27000).

After that moment, I thought I had to have it!!! Before I could get my act together several months later, Steve had sold it which was somewhat depressing..but my attention had since diverted into VW, VW parts and dealership hoarding, a new hobby which I found quite interesting and sent me all over the country side(sound familiar folks? , do you "suffer" a similar disease?). With the car having disappeared for quite some time, Aaron had mentioned a couple of times that he had seen it in his area being driven. It wasn't until early 1996 that the car had resurfaced and I had spotted the advert in the local Sunday newspaper. I wasted no time in going to look at the vehicle, firstly with every intention of buying it, and secondly getting it for a better price(I can't help myself!). At this point, the car had 38500 miles with the owner driving it as a result being "all he could afford" after buying it from Steve whilst going through a divorce at the time.

After having bought it home, the car went into storage with the other Type 3's I had at the time until I found some parts and cash to be able to deal with some of the issues with it.

Over the years, I have literally tripped over more of its history in my travels, finding some of its pre-delivery and production information.

This Panel Van was built on February 4, 1965 and was delivered to VW(Sales) on February 8, 1965 according to VW, but I cannot verify this information as being correct. Australian VW records were quite often cloudy and in many instances, just not there with not even a colour being recorded.

After having gone through a VW stash of an old Dealer owner here in SA, I found a pile of dealer literature , stock sheets and invoices relating to VW sales at the dealer through the 60's. In going through one of the stock sheets, I discovered that my car was on it. It was recorded as new vehicle stock on 31/8/1965 at Unley Motors, so it must have been yard stored in Melbourne and depots for some time post production.

The last listing on the stock sheet below shows the vehicle designated as a Type 366(N) V30(Panel Van). It is interesting to note that there are several other Panel Vans on the stock sheet. I wonder where they are?

In having ALL the original service records for this vehicle , The Panel Van Transferred to Sierp Brothers VW the next day on 1/9/1965 where it had its delivery inspection at 13 miles. It stayed with Sierp bothers until 2/11/1966 where it had been received by L.N.Clough in Strathalbyn with 4369 miles on it. It had its 6000 mile service on 5/1/1967 back with Sierp shortly before being sold to its first official owner on 8/2/1967. It was also discovered that the first owner was a mechanic at L.N. Clough for some time after showing the vehicle details and first owner details to the dealer Principal(who was also the owner) of L.N. Clough back in 1998.

Well, it never became the victim of a warranty claim.....

The vehicle still possesses its first sales receipt and registration to the first owner, also detailing the number plate change to "modern" alpha-numeric plates in 1969.

Below are the brochures and owners manual initially delivered with the vehicle in their original wallet.

Below is the original spare, complete with "Olympic Air Ride" cross ply tyre. These were standard issue for Australian Type 3's back in the day with a fierce reputation for blow outs (fender destruction!).

Below is the body plate... no double stamping over the "5" on this one...

Panel Van tag and paint decal.....

Cloth strap for the rear storage compartment.... I try not to use it for obvious reasons.

A little of the cargo area. All carding is in "Kombi Grey". The door cards are also "Kombi Grey" but vinyl. Seats are also "Kombi Grey" with white piping.

Below are a few photographs of the vehicle when first found.

A shot in 2001 after spending two weeks polishing it!

Other additions to the Panel Van which have been on it for several years now are the the following;

*Rectification of the exhaust- The extractor was replaced with a NOS Liestritz unit, correct damper, tail pipe and NOS VW chrome tip.

*German accessory overriders.

*Full circle horn ring.

*Type 3-only NOS Bosch spot light kit all working on 6V with Halogen globes!

*NOS German wheel trims with Ruby Red inserts. (I like the original red/ ivory rims too, but the choice depending on mood is good!)

*Period Blaupunkt Frankfurt (Type 3 with the silver beige buttons and knobs) with NOS fitting kit coming shortly.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you sell the 4 panels? That would be sacrilegious wouldn't it? Wink
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1500king
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have everything for this car, including the panels which will be going back in it permanently...
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You did have them For Sale @ one time, glad to hear they are going back in! Cool
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mr. warehouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
Did you sell the 4 panels? That would be sacrilegious wouldn't it? Wink

I think someone repop'd them and had them for sale.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1500king
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
You did have them For Sale @ one time, glad to hear they are going back in! Cool

You must be referring to somebody elses posts, never anything early Type 3 for sale here, let alone these! I have a NOS Petri Banjo with sundial horn button I could be pursuaded to move for a reasonable offer though!
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw some for sale in OZ for $1400-3400? I must have skipped right passed/past? the RE-POP! Exclamation
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Aaron M265
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a spare set for sale including the body tags.

See my classifieds for more details. Very rare panels. Not repro- originals.

FreightShaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could I by chance get you to post some more pics of the rear cargo area? I'm building my panel and need some details..
99 Larson Ski Boat finished project
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Notched
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic topic! Thank you!

Current stock: '57 Panel Bus, '63 Rat Notch, '64 Baja, '66 Variant, '67 Convertible Ghia, '68 Squareback, '69 Squareback, '69 Fastback

Southern Oregon VW Club -- http://www.sovw.org

Oregon VW Forum -- http://www.oregonvw.org
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
savannen beige
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very very good reading.

But the green panel is not dutch, its a danish car. but i think it was exportet some years ago( canīt remeber mayby to england i think)

but i now of an 72 panelvan here in denmark unter going resto at the moment.

kasper
1500king
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another earlier pic of the spot lights installed....

1500king
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

savannen beige wrote:
very very good reading.

But the green panel is not dutch, its a danish car. but i think it was exportet some years ago( canīt remeber mayby to england i think)

but i now of an 72 panelvan here in denmark unter going resto at the moment.

kasper

There's no point keeping us all "in the dark", get them on here to share some info about their cars... the more, the better!!
ozinbc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:51 pm    Post subject: panel van stories Reply with quote

Andrew, one of the few times I have seen Aaron shaking- when I brought the panel van home we towed if from Strath through the Adelaide Hills! - it had no brakes to speak as it had been sitting for years so he was sitting in the car riding the hand brake! i think a few of the tricky down hill corners got to him!
The things you do when you are young and stupid!

Steve Keeley
'65 T34
'66 21 window
Aaron M265
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try not to think about that trip with you Steve. That is probably the most frightening thing I have done- raining, no brakes at all, tow rop about 5 meters from the back of your van...

Your right I was young and stupid. Now I am older and stupid. Much better.

You had the right idea- as the panel van started to close in on your van, you would accelerate further to keep the 5 meters distance consistent. I still can't believe I made it out alive!

Your a mad bastard Steve no matter what others may say (your wife agrees by the way).

1500king
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: panel van stories Reply with quote

ozinbc wrote:
Andrew, one of the few times I have seen Aaron shaking- when I brought the panel van home we towed if from Strath through the Adelaide Hills! - it had no brakes to speak as it had been sitting for years so he was sitting in the car riding the hand brake! i think a few of the tricky down hill corners got to him!
The things you do when you are young and stupid!

Steve Keeley
'65 T34
'66 21 window

Yes, I was told about that. I agree that it probably stills haunts him!!!! I would probably be somewhat shaken too when faced with no brakes , heading straight for red gum trees on the roadside with 6ft girths!! Nice work Steve, somebody had to do it to him!
humpty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great read there fellas... Good to see this info coming together... I know a few of the local boys are keeping an eye out for the mythical PV's in WA.... Haven't seen one here in near on 15 years!.... I'm sure SIM's got'em years ago... Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Page 2 of 26

Jump to: