Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Value of a Baja
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tundrawolf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:39 pm    Post subject: Value of a Baja Reply with quote

There was a Baja donated to a person I know's rehab.

It is turquoise in color and the paint looks very good. It doesn't look like there is any rust on it. The numbers match. It's a 1969. The engine is all chromed out, but looks stock, and the rear apron has been removed, there's no engine cage in the back though. The firewall in the back is also a piece of plywood. It has a "Rodent" kit on it. It looks like someone got tired of working on it and threw it together. I'm sorry, I can't get pics right now, but the guy is asking $3,000 for it. Would $1,000 be a fair price? I haven't driven it but it starts and runs. I know, I apologize, I just can't get any photos.
chubby53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's hard to say when there are no pics. Things i look for in any vw is rust and mechanics. looks are the last thing. when you say no rust, did you look and poke around underneath the pan, in the car between the floor mats and pan, the heaterchannels, under rear seat, rear firewall, under rear window, rear quarterpanels/wheelwell by the heater channel, and front quarterpanels/wheelwell by the heater channel. I would also be concerned about the rear firewall plywood deal. Make sure all brakes work, if you can start it then go through all the gears in the tranny and make sure they work. also electronics? all fun and games til you have to troubleshoot your "spaghetti" wiring system. What kind of wheels/tires does it have? All this is things that you would have to invest in once you get the car. if there is minimal metal work that has to be done and the car can very easily become a dd, then I would say around 800-1200 depending on what it looks like. if it looks like a p.o.s. and has some things that need to be fixed then i wouldn't pay very much. , but if it looks decent, and has good tires and functions normal without tinkering then a little more. If this ended up being a project is that something you would want or do you want something you can get into and start driving on a daily basis? these are all things you need to be sure of when looking at and deciding to buy the car. I know it seems like it's a lot of picky crap to go through but there is a difference between a daily driver and a lawn ordiment. hope i helped, good luck. if you can get pics, then that would help a lot.
one other thing to think about is supply and demand. if vw's are readily available for cheap around were you live?
Mal evolent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

check your local Craigslist. I would not go over $1000

Baja Bugs for Volkswagen Virgins: Index
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: