Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

HOW TO: Install rear axle seal kit
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
junichi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:15 pm    Post subject: Small o-ring? Reply with quote

I am following along at home and went to put in the small o-ring but it seems very small.
In my limited experience, o rings are usually a friction fit, not a stretch fit.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It will stretch and fit on, but then when I try to slide it in it rolls and twists itself inside out.

I assume this is not good... Have I got the wrong o ring? I got a generic kit from cip1 that has about a 24mm I.d. o-ring but the splined shaft is about 35mm.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: HOW TO: Install rear axle seal kit Reply with quote

Got to stretch it.

Take off the bearing cover.

Carefully by hand install the O-ring all the way inward on the axle.

Slide the outer spacer into the bearing cover and make sure the axle seal inner lip does not get bent out of shape doping that.

Slide in place the bearing cover and outer spacer together onto the stub axle.

Etc...
junichi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: HOW TO: Install rear axle seal kit Reply with quote

Hmm..I was hoping to follow the previous tutorial where the o-ring is slid in by pushing the spacer in. There is fresh rtv on the bearing cover!

Comments from Bruce that posted this tutorial?

Edit: more oil on the o-ring allowed it to slide in nicely. Is this method going to create a proper seal?
How does the spacer sit in relation to the bearing cover? Flush with it or sticking out a bit? If so by how much? How much force is required to push it home?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: HOW TO: Install rear axle seal kit Reply with quote

Just slide the spacer inward. When you snug down the axle nut the drum will press it the rest of the way.
junichi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: HOW TO: Install rear axle seal kit Reply with quote

Of course! Thanks.
Bruce Amacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: HOW TO: Install rear axle seal kit Reply with quote

Ditto on responses, the o-ring has to be lubed well and stretched over the axle splines, it states that clearly in my description. You can't tell it well from the first two pics but the spacer does protrude outboard of the housing a bit (IIRC, 1/8"?) so the drum won't rub on it.

The biggest mistake guys make here is damaging the seal when pressing it into the housing. I owned a truck repair shop for decades and have installed thousands of seals, so I saw my guys make every mistake possible when installing a seal. If you use a socket to push the seal in it commonly distorts the seal or pops the garter spring out causing a leak. Buy a set of HF seal drivers.

Most of all, good luck!
'66- http://www.leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2888&sid=54d8dedfb3822f99c7f2ea430cb4e856
'65- http://leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4263
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Small o-ring? Reply with quote

junichi wrote:
I am following along at home and went to put in the small o-ring but it seems very small.
In my limited experience, o rings are usually a friction fit, not a stretch fit.

It will stretch and fit on, but then when I try to slide it in it rolls and twists itself inside out.

I assume this is not good... Have I got the wrong o ring? I got a generic kit from cip1 that has about a 24mm I.d. o-ring but the splined shaft is about 35mm.
I usually put a round of tape on the end of the stub axle before pushing that o-ring on. Eliminates the possibility of damaging the seal on the splines.

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
junichi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:55 am    Post subject: Re: HOW TO: Install rear axle seal kit Reply with quote

On the other side I found this....note severely flattened large o-ring, and sealing washer is mangled. Mine were done differently on each side, and according to previous input the large o ring and washer should not have been in here!

junichi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: HOW TO: Install rear axle seal kit Reply with quote

I will add as well that I have followed this great tutorial with a largely successful end product.

On the left side, I am fighting a slow leak at the axle, which I can only assume is caused by a less than perfect o ring seal. While it could be user error or a faulty spacer or o- ring, on the other side I decided to slide the o ring in place before mounting the backing plate and bearing cover. In this way I was able to visually confirm the o-ring placement and feel more confident with it. No leaks on the side done in this manner.
joetrike13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: HOW TO: Install rear axle seal kit Reply with quote

can someone that has the pictures for these axle seal kits please repost them as the ones on the post are gone. i currently am trying to fix my 61 single cab small nut and it leaks out the vent hole. thanks for any assistance
Bruce Amacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: HOW TO: Install rear axle seal kit Reply with quote

Go to the first post and follow the link, it is for a big nut but your small nut is similar.
'66- http://www.leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2888&sid=54d8dedfb3822f99c7f2ea430cb4e856
'65- http://leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4263
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetrike13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: HOW TO: Install rear axle seal kit Reply with quote

thanks
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: HOW TO: Install rear axle seal kit Reply with quote

joetrike13 wrote:
can someone that has the pictures for these axle seal kits please repost them as the ones on the post are gone. i currently am trying to fix my 61 single cab small nut and it leaks out the vent hole. thanks for any assistance

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=615740
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: HOW TO: Install rear axle seal kit Reply with quote

I have a couple questions about the small o-ring found in the rear wheel seal kits. It does not look like a normal round o-ring; would a round o-ring work in this application, or is this a different type of o-ring?

I looked in the parts list and the part number is:111 501 296, but no mention of the size.

I would like to source some of these o-rings, instead of buying the complete wheel seal kits.

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: HOW TO: Install rear axle seal kit Reply with quote

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vw-wheel-bearing-...-111501296

or

https://www.wpdusa.com/products/25064/Wheel-Bearin...%2CC134569

or

http://www.discountautoparts.com/catalog-1/itemdetail/euromax/452-54032-767
Scorcho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: HOW TO: Install rear axle seal kit Reply with quote

I just replaced my seal and as I was putting everything back in realized it was leaking even more fluid than before! I did everything right as I've checked twice already. Crying or Very sad

It appears to leak even more when I add fluid to the reduction gears. Anyone have any guesses as to why?
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: HOW TO: Install rear axle seal kit Reply with quote

Scorcho wrote:
I just replaced my seal and as I was putting everything back in realized it was leaking even more fluid than before! I did everything right as I've checked twice already. Crying or Very sad

It appears to leak even more when I add fluid to the reduction gears. Anyone have any guesses as to why?

Until you fully torque the axle nut it will leak.
Scorcho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: HOW TO: Install rear axle seal kit Reply with quote

Yikes forget what I just said about doing it right haha. I somehow broke the new seal. I may have put everything in the wrong order? The last picture shows the order in which I put everything should I have put the spacer BEFORE the round metal thing?
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: HOW TO: Install rear axle seal kit Reply with quote

Correct order but the seal is in backward.
GLHTurbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: HOW TO: Install rear axle seal kit Reply with quote

Also, put the spacer into the seal first while everything is in your hand, then slide the whole cover assembly on.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 7 of 13

Jump to: