Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Manxter tires: RWL or blackwall or red stripe
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which looks better: Raised white letter or blackwall?
Raised White Letters
60%
 60%  [ 9 ]
Blackwell
40%
 40%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 15

andygere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 4:41 pm    Post subject: Manxter tires: RWL or blackwall or red stripe Reply with quote

I'm getting ready to make a tire and wheel change on my Manxter 2+2. I love the look of the Porsche lobster fork wheels, but the low profile tires aren't a good fit for the lousy roads around here, and I'm looking for a more traditional dune buggy look.

I really liked the look and road characteristics of the combo on my last buggy, which were BFG Radial T/As and bright PVD Torq-thrusts. Before selling that buggy, I mocked them up in front of the Manxter and took a few photos. I blacked out the raised white lettering on a duplicate photo for comparison. While I like the look of the RWL, BFG has an ongoing problem with the letters going brown, a problem I had on the rear tires of my last set. Here are the comparison photos, with the raised white letters edited out on the second one.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Rear tires are 275 60R 15 on 8" wide rim
Front tires are 205 60R 15 on 6" wide rim.
Alternates for the front tires are 215 60R 15 or 215 65R 15. I'm interested in input on those choices from Manxter owners as well.

Last edited by andygere on Tue May 08, 2018 12:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Manxter tires: RWL or blackwall Reply with quote

Put me down for the white letters!
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Manxter tires: RWL or blackwall Reply with quote

raised white letters are soooo 80's and totally played out.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Manxter tires: RWL or blackwall Reply with quote

Black walls...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Manxter tires: RWL or blackwall Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Put me down for the white letters!

x2
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
andygere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Manxter tires: RWL or blackwall Reply with quote

For comparison, here's a shot with the current wheels and tires.

AMAC1680
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 2:11 am    Post subject: Re: Manxter tires: RWL or blackwall Reply with quote

Did a poll like this and it was about 50-50 sooooo.....
I’m a RWL guy. I also had issue with BFGs going brown/yellow.

I put a set of cooper cobras on and like the tires and the letters stay white.
http://us.coopertire.com/tires/cobra-radial-g-t.aspx

AMAC
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: Manxter tires: RWL or blackwall Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:

Yup and Manx style Buggies are soooo 60's! Rolling Eyes
andygere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: Manxter tires: RWL or blackwall Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:

Goodyear Polyglass tires were introduced in 1967, and by the late 60’s were original equipment on many US made muscle cars. Firestone Wide Ovals came out around the same time. This overlaps the peak of the buggy popularity era, and perhaps that’s why so many restored buggies run them.

Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Manxter tires: RWL or blackwall Reply with quote

With the modern style build of the buggy, I actually like the current set up better. Maybe some slightly taller sidewalls on the rear, but overall, I like these. Amazing how changing the wheels can make something look modern or vintage.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
AMAC1680
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Manxter tires: RWL or blackwall Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
With the modern style build of the buggy, I actually like the current set up better. Maybe some slightly taller sidewalls on the rear, but overall, I like these. Amazing how changing the wheels can make something look modern or vintage.

When I lowered this SS I mixed new school blacked out wheels with old school RWL. Looks good to my eye.

AMAC
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Manxter tires: RWL or blackwall Reply with quote

AMAC1680 wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:

When I lowered this SS I mixed new school blacked out wheels with old school RWL. Looks good to my eye.

AMAC

Very NASCAR.
manxvair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Manxter tires: RWL or blackwall Reply with quote

In my application I prefer the black walls, but I think the RWL looks good on yours.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Manxter tires: RWL or blackwall Reply with quote

I think what you like it often directly related to the first one that caught your eye.

For me it was the late 60s when I saw my first real live Manx so naturally I want mine to look like that. White letters, single roll bar and dual exhaust.
andygere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Manxter tires: RWL or blackwall Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:

I thought about this, since the Lobsterforks are a really unique look. These are 295 35 19s, and the highest aspect ratio I could find in a performance tire is 295 45 19, which doesn’t provide much sidewall or soften the ride. The front rims are 9” wide, and they really limit my turning radius in parking lots and driveways. I agree that the wheels and tires can reallly change the look and feel of the buggy.
andygere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Manxter tires: RWL or blackwall Reply with quote

One more consideration: Red Stripe tires. These are effectively BFG Radial T/As that have had a red stripe added by a custom tire company. I did a crude mock up of the photo to provide an idea of the result. In reality, they are not quite so red, and I think a better match to the body color. I've seen this on other buggies, and it is distinctive.

MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Manxter tires: RWL or blackwall or red stripe Reply with quote

Whoa, matching red circles totally beats both the busy RWLs and the plain BWs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Manxter tires: RWL or blackwall or red stripe Reply with quote

Ive been "obsessed" with this picture as the youngsters say. Maybe a thought?

AMAC1680
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 1:50 am    Post subject: Re: Manxter tires: RWL or blackwall Reply with quote

andygere wrote:
One more consideration: Red Stripe tires. These are effectively BFG Radial T/As that have had a red stripe added by a custom tire company. I did a crude mock up of the photo to provide an idea of the result. In reality, they are not quite so red, and I think a better match to the body color. I've seen this on other buggies, and it is distinctive.

Very Nice, old old school.

AMAC
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Manxter tires: RWL or blackwall or red stripe Reply with quote

that's a tough call.i lean towards white lettering myself but that red (whitewall) is making it a tough call.tough decision.the red is different and unique that's for sure.but then again blackwalls r nice to.lol
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: