Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

cmc 356 tires
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rickylee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:28 am    Post subject: cmc 356 tires Reply with quote

I have a cmc 356 speedster replica with 4 lug 4-1/2 rims and 195/65/15 tires. I bought a set of empi 5-1/2 inch rims with 195/65/15 tires. i could not get the back tires to even go under the fenders. anyway I would like to lower the car a few inches and put on a wider tire. Someone suggested smart car tire or fiat sizes 180/65/15 I'm sure I'm going to have to stay with the 4-1/2 rims[
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: cmc 356 tires Reply with quote

This is where you need to know the backspacing on your wheels. More than likely the Empi wheels have stock backspacing and they simply added width causing your issues. You need a wheel that has a deeper backspacing.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
Wolfgangdieter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: cmc 356 tires Reply with quote

You probably have a circa 1971 chassis with the IRS long axle. Early VW chassis with swing axle have more room. My CMC has 185/65x15 on Porsche 914 2L Fuchs alloy wheels. These are ET40 offset which is about a 4.8" offset. On the driver's side I have a pinky worth of space even after sanding the lip and some of the inner wheel well thickness away. Post your wheels ET or offset.
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: cmc 356 tires Reply with quote

Wolfgangdieter wrote:
You probably have a circa 1971 chassis with the IRS long axle. Early VW chassis with swing axle have more room. My CMC has 185/65x15 on Porsche 914 2L Fuchs alloy wheels. These are ET40 offset which is about a 4.8" offset. On the driver's side I have a pinky worth of space even after sanding the lip and some of the inner wheel well thickness away. Post your wheels ET or offset.
Just for clarity, it may be a 4.8" back space, but not offset. Cool

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: