Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brad "HamburgerBrad" Williams (1984-2009)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 69, 70, 71 ... 76, 77, 78  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BradsDad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well here we are finally getting started on the 1964 bug, its the HBB5 raffle car to be raffled off as grand prize at Malarkey's Irish Pub in November, this is a charity fundraiser for cancer. the car is getting a lot of attention as it needs many things. this car will be refreshed as a garage restoration, otherwise the best we can do with what we have available meaning a lot of work by a few dedicated people, many new parts, new interior, new engine etc. and new paint. Remember this is the HBB5 cancer fundraiser grand prize so if you want to donate some time on this project, all are welcome over here. remember we are just getting started so there is plenty to do. The only thing we guarantee is the car will look good and run great. raffle tickets will be available soon so stay in touch with Pinto or Dustin for tickets..........
bradsdad
neonheatdisease
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, this might be a little out of place here. Please forgive me if it is.

Earlier this year, (in May iirc) a close friend and I drove up to Afton Canyon, a personal favorite spot of mine. Ive always felt an affinity for that place since my first time there in 2011, and I've gone back many many times for both the dark night sky and off roading. On the most recent trip there in May, we met two guys and a gal whos names I forget, who were the only other folks in the campsite besides us.

They were nothing but totally awesome to us. They were going to go off roading with us in the morning but ended up having to bail. They made us breakfast burritos - maybe it was the hunger that comes with exerting yourself in the desert, but it was the most delicious I've ever eaten. We turned around and went back to camp to say thanks. After reading through this thread it seems Brad's awesomeness might have in fact been infectious.

Anyways - The trip previous to the one I described above, I sprayed some graffiti on the bridge there, directly to the right of an HBB sticker. At the time I had no clue who HBB was, but in spraying my stencil I took extra care to not fuck up the sticker. After reading this entire thread, I'm really glad I did. One of the guys we met at Afton in may had an HBB sticker on their bug, and an owens speed shop sticker as well. They told us a very short version of HBB's story. That he was a great person, that he died tragically too young, and that he was memorialized on that bridge via that sticker and his ashes. Afton Canyon now means so much more to me than it already did, knowing it was one of his favorite offroad spots (at least thats what I read in this thread). Knowing that this uncanny familiarity, safety, and happiness that I feel when I'm at Afton might just maybe possibly have some sort of correlation to a part of Brad being there - well - again it makes that place mean that much more to me.

A group of friends and I will be out in Afton on august 10 for the Perseid meteor shower, and then offroading on the 11th. Anyone is welcome, of course. If the folks we met there last time happen to be reading this: thanks for being awesome and we'd love to have ya'll out to chill again. Either way, brads memory will be honored by the assembled group in the form of, you guessed it - eating hamburgers.
Rob E UK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome,

how do I buy tickets?

Pinto, didn't I already give you money for some? my memory is rubbish!
BradsDad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neonheatdisease wrote:

Earlier this year, (in May iirc) a close friend and I drove up to Afton Canyon, a personal favorite spot of mine. Ive always felt an affinity for that place since my first time there in 2011, and I've gone back many many times for both the dark night sky and off roading. On the most recent trip there in May, we met two guys and a gal whos names I forget, who were the only other folks in the campsite besides us.

They were nothing but totally awesome to us. They were going to go off roading with us in the morning but ended up having to bail. They made us breakfast burritos - maybe it was the hunger that comes with exerting yourself in the desert, but it was the most delicious I've ever eaten. We turned around and went back to camp to say thanks. After reading through this thread it seems Brad's awesomeness might have in fact been infectious.

Anyways - The trip previous to the one I described above, I sprayed some graffiti on the bridge there, directly to the right of an HBB sticker. At the time I had no clue who HBB was, but in spraying my stencil I took extra care to not fuck up the sticker. After reading this entire thread, I'm really glad I did. One of the guys we met at Afton in may had an HBB sticker on their bug, and an owens speed shop sticker as well. They told us a very short version of HBB's story. That he was a great person, that he died tragically too young, and that he was memorialized on that bridge via that sticker and his ashes. Afton Canyon now means so much more to me than it already did, knowing it was one of his favorite offroad spots (at least thats what I read in this thread). Knowing that this uncanny familiarity, safety, and happiness that I feel when I'm at Afton might just maybe possibly have some sort of correlation to a part of Brad being there - well - again it makes that place mean that much more to me.

A group of friends and I will be out in Afton on august 10 for the Perseid meteor shower, and then offroading on the 11th. Anyone is welcome, of course. If the folks we met there last time happen to be reading this: thanks for being awesome and we'd love to have ya'll out to chill again. Either way, brads memory will be honored by the assembled group in the form of, you guessed it - eating hamburgers.

Neon*** the folks you met are Doyle , his wife Kim and Steve Garcia. your are right they are great people from a much bigger group of desert rats all Brad's friends. thank you very much for your input I enjoyed reading it. I marked your next date to afton canyon ....maybe we can make it????
bradsdad
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neonheatdisease wrote:

thanks for posting that dude, my eye leaked a little bit. great first post
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tirekicker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Work day at BBV speed shop

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

(16:45:42) Russ_Wolfe: TK, you are like a Maytag washer
(16:46:44) tirekicker: and what's a maytag washer?
(16:47:35) Russ_Wolfe: If you are not agitating, you are not working right
enjoyther1de
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neon! this is steve the dude with the gray bug. cant make it on the 10th but we need to meet up there again! maybe this time we can get out in the boonies together. lemme know when you get a chance!
Pintobean
Samba Frijol

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tickets are on sale this week.. i'll deliver to spots so we can start the sales.... sorry the lag but i had a really close friend die sunday so weve been busy trying to fund raise for his services. trying to do it all with out breaking down..... either way yes Rob you did buy 20$ worth already. i posted it on the paper at owens so i wouldnt forget.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
neonheatdisease
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BradsDad wrote:

Neon*** the folks you met are Doyle , his wife Kim and Steve Garcia. your are right they are great people from a much bigger group of desert rats all Brad's friends. thank you very much for your input I enjoyed reading it. I marked your next date to afton canyon ....maybe we can make it????
bradsdad

Awesome! We'll be out there. Dunno if I'm going to be able to secure a vehicle to offroad in but we shall see. Either way the stars and meteors should be awesome.

Erik G wrote:

thanks for posting that dude, my eye leaked a little bit. great first post

No Problem. I was super worried I'd be cluttering this heartfelt memorial thread with my comment. I was really hoping it wouldn't be inappropriate for me to post here.

enjoyther1de wrote:
Neon! this is steve the dude with the gray bug. cant make it on the 10th but we need to meet up there again! maybe this time we can get out in the boonies together. lemme know when you get a chance!

Heck yes! Jackpot. Was hoping I'd be able to find y'all somehow. Thanks again for being rad.
BradsDad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neon. this is Bradsdad, the group is planning a trip to Afton canyon in September (don't know exactly when ,,,but soon) Steve, Doyle and a bunch of good guys and gals will be there, all Brads friends. will post the date when decision is made..................hope to see you there
bradsdad
BradsDad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All right everybody the date is set for an Afton canyon outing. The group has decided on the weekend of Sept 27th through the 29th. some of us will arrive early Friday to secure a campsite for others. a little bit of off roading and beer drinking to occur out there. all are welcome to help celebrate Brad's memory.
bradsdad
BradsDad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Progress is slow on the HBB5 cancer fundraiser car but we are making progress. car on wheels now and we have good new brakes as of yesterday, just need a steering wheel and then we can move car into shop for body work and paint. still have two months to finish car but we need more action from volunteers ............where are you folks?? raffle tickets are available now so get yours ASAP. Im sure this 64 bug will be beautiful when we get finished with it. see you at Malarkys Irish Pub, Newport beach in Nov for car show and raffle.
bradsdad
BradsDad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Afton Canyon was a great trip, unfortunately only four troopers showed up but we had three bajas out there and had a great time. The others that agreed on this weekend began to weasel out little by little until there were only four of us left., its sad that some people still operate like this. First time ever just towards the eastern end of the canyon I saw Three Big Horn Sheep, what a sight and wow can they climb. I saw the first on Friday, a big ram with big twisted horns. the other two on Sunday morning. This was quite a sight as I have been going to Afton for 21 years and never saw a sight like this. Maybe the group will be a little bigger next trip, next year....maybe.
bradsdad
auslander
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you get any pics of the trip? How deep was the water crossing, that is always fun to cross Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

66 POS Bus
69 Class 11 Beetle
71 Cat-Look Beetle
64 Old Skool Baja
74 "Swamp" Thing

!!! F**k Cancer !!!
Time's Tide will Smother You
"You can't throw a rock in Long Beach without hitting a tweaker" Steve Tucci
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BradsDad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No cameras with us Sal, just phones and still we took no pics. the water crossings were a little shorter and only about 19" deep this time. the weather was perfect during the day, cool at night, but seeing those big horn sheep was the highlight of the trip. all three bajas ran great with no problems to speak of.
bradsdad
BradsDad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today is Brad's birthday, he would have been 29 years old today if he had survived that fu***** cancer. He will never age beyond his 25th year, he will always be young in our memories with his wonderful smile. October 10th, 1984 I remember that day so well, it was a great day for so many of us.
bradsdsd
Das Dragon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never a day passes without thoughts of Brad...I am so lucky to have known him! Rest easy Brad.

With *****, "Bullshit Happens"!
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric wishing Brad Happy Birthday on Facebook! Cool
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1015188754...mp;theater
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MrBreeze
Samba Hitman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think of him all the time. Every once in a while I go back and read the thread and it kills me every time. Hope he's having a happy one where he is now!

WTB: Bay Shore or Queensboro VW Frames

HBB 1984-2009
RW 1943-2011
ER 1964-2023
FASTBACKDON
The other insensitive jerk like Neil

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BradsDad wrote:
Today is Brad's birthday, he would have been 29 years old today if he had survived that fu***** cancer. He will never age beyond his 25th year, he will always be young in our memories with his wonderful smile. October 10th, 1984 I remember that day so well, it was a great day for so many of us.
bradsdsd

Brad shared a Birthday with someone so special to me words can not explain, My Beautful Mother who also passed from Cancer on 12-31-12 PHUCKCANCER. I know they both fought tooth and nail to beat this work of the Devil. Rip Brad (25) Wanda Finley (74) I hope Mom and Brad are laughing together and watching over all of us.

Buy my best friends stuff
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?username=56TIMOTEO

(21:10:42) Jennepher: Russell is our proudest achievment. I feel like Samba created him from a little nugget of crap into a full blown adult.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 69, 70, 71 ... 76, 77, 78  Next
Jump to:
Page 70 of 78

Jump to: