Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New heads or heli coil?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vamstad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:07 pm    Post subject: New heads or heli coil? Reply with quote

1979 2.0 FI Federal

I have searched the forums and it seems like a lot of factors depend on which (new or heli-coil) to choose.

So, here is my story....

About 5K ago I changed the plugs in my engine. One of them, #2, came out with a couple of threads. I chased it and everything was fine...until the other day when my motor spit it out. I carefully replaced it and it lasted another 10 miles before spitting it out again. I looked carefully and found that the hole was stripped.

This motor was rebuilt about 17k ago with new (or rebuilt) heads. I kind of feel that when I remove the engine to get at the head, I should just buy and install all new heads. But, another part of me says to heli-coil (or similar) it and avoid a $500-800 cost of new heads because, the heads are kind of new (this assuming that I don't find any other head issues when I get to them).

Any thoughts or advice? What things should I look for in the condition of the heads?

Thanks!
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The engine was rebuilt 17k ago so the heads were rebuilt or new?

If the heads were rebuilt they are probably going alittle soft to pull the threads. I would helicoil em but start plan B and save up for some of these. NEW Super Stock Complete-7417 #16894- http://www.aircooledtechnology.com/store/product.php?productid=16894&cat=283&page=1
which are Brand new castings with upgraded hardware, seats, guides,valves. These are made to last.

Old rebuilt heads have seen tons of heat cycles and slowly the aluminum changes becoming soft. Seats pound into the heads, studs pull, and threads crap out. The aluminum only lasts so long..... Crying or Very sad
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

helicoil or threadcert is fine howver Bleyseng is correct, may have been overheated and aluminum getting soft. That spells trouble if a seat pops out. You might also ask Ron at Bus Depot who does his heads as they have some reasonable budget ones.
Vamstad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PO mentioned that he had destroyed a head (I think he said melted) and that it meant a motor rebuild. I forgot if he mentioned if the heads were rebuilt or new. I'll probably be able to tell when I get them off...
Vamstad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear that heli coils are strong and should be used if the head is in good shape. Does anyone have any bad experiences with heli coils?

A buddy of mine actually mentioned that I should just heli coil all four of the plug holes as the heli coils are strong! Anyone else recommend this on rebuilt heads?

BTW...the massive type IV heads at 2K sound like they are impressive...Someday when I live outside of CA, i'll look into the camper special! Cool stuff, man.
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not a fan of helicoils for spark plug repair. For some other threaded application that is to be bolted/tightened up and won't be back apart but occasionally if ever or need be sure.

If something has to be used I prefer an insert for the spark plugs. As you want the insert to hold up to remvoal of the plugs... helicoils often mess up on people from taking the plugs in and out during routine maintenance.

I am sure there are others who disagree but this is just "IMHO and EXPERIENCE" posting as I have seen them fail many times more than an insert.

You should have no problem findind a "kit" with the 3/4" longer inserts you need for a bus head.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GusC2it
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keifernet wrote:
I am not a fan of helicoils for spark plug repair. For some other threaded application that is to be bolted/tightened up and won't be back apart but occasionally if ever or need be sure.

If something has to be used I prefer an insert for the spark plugs. As you want the insert to hold up to remvoal of the plugs... helicoils often mess up on people from taking the plugs in and out during routine maintenance.

I am sure there are others who disagree but this is just "IMHO and EXPERIENCE" posting as I have seen them fail many times more than an insert.

You should have no problem findind a "kit" with the 3/4" longer inserts you need for a bus head.

I totally agree Keifer! I use "Timeserts" inserts and would never use Heilcoils for plug threads.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oorwullie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

german engineering. Wink

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Vamstad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Called a local shop and they said that they never heli coil a spark plug...that they use inserts on plugs in air-cooled VW motors and it would cost about $50. Looks like the route I am going to go.
GusC2it
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vamstad wrote:
Called a local shop and they said that they never heli coil a spark plug...that they use inserts on plugs in air-cooled VW motors and it would cost about $50. Looks like the route I am going to go.

They do occasionally come out. If they do, keep a spare handy and thread onto the plug with antisize on the plug. Then instal the plug and insert into the head with a drop of Loc tight on the insert. No problem.
bigbore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use them all the time. thay are great without them I could save so many things. if you use the in-surt's for spark plugs use the one withont the shoulder on the top thay like to come out with the spark plug no matter loctite you use. the ones that you use a driver and set them work great thay don't back out at all. I get them from Napa.

Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ones shown above are not the wire heli-coils, like most people think of for heli-coils.
I use the ones shown, as they are staked in after installed.
Timesert makes one also.
The wire heli-coils will work if you are doing it with the head on the engine.
Hard part, is breaking the little install tang off, without it dropping into the cylinder.
My installation tool, had a stop collar on it to install them to the exact right depth.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
earthnsurf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure the heli coil goes in perfectly straight! Ask me how I know.
bigbore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ Wolfe wrote:
The ones shown above are not the wire heli-coils, like most people think of for heli-coils.
I use the ones shown, as they are staked in after installed.
Timesert makes one also.
The wire heli-coils will work if you are doing it with the head on the engine.
Hard part, is breaking the little install tang off, without it dropping into the cylinder.
My installation tool, had a stop collar on it to install them to the exact right depth.

I like the insert's but if there not too messed up I would use Heli-coil's frist becouse if those get screwed up you can still put a insert in.
Vamstad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:48 am    Post subject: ***Update Reply with quote

****Update****

My head just spit out the insert and plug going up a steep hill in third. Sad The insert seemed to have lasted about 5 years...

I had already planned for this day by getting new AMC heads (square port for my '79). Now I will send them away to get improved with new seats, springs, valves and such...

My new question is: Now that I am going to pull the heads on this motor (recently rebuilt, 25K ago) what else should I do? Leaving the bottom end alone seems reasonable from the forums that I have read. New rings? What should I look out for/dig into?

Thanks in advance!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: ***Update Reply with quote

Vamstad wrote:
****Update****

My head just spit out the insert and plug going up a steep hill in third. Sad The insert seemed to have lasted about 5 years...

I had already planned for this day by getting new AMC heads (square port for my '79). Now I will send them away to get improved with new seats, springs, valves and such...

My new question is: Now that I am going to pull the heads on this motor (recently rebuilt, 25K ago) what else should I do? Leaving the bottom end alone seems reasonable from the forums that I have read. New rings? What should I look out for/dig into?

Thanks in advance!

Leave it alone. 25,000 miles is not enough to be upsetting things. If you pull the cylinders then you will need to hone them and replace the rings. The ones you have probably have 75,000 more miles left in them. When you get the heads off look at the tops of the pistons. If the carbon goes almost all the way to the edge then they are sealing up. If the carbon is washed away over a large area then they are leaking oil.

See all the area with no carbon - that is because the rings let oil come up and wash away the carbon. here are some generic pictures from the Internet.

even carbon

probably about what yours will look like (Ok)

Vamstad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! Thanks for the info!

When I get it apart, I'll take some photos of the Pistons to post...
a-marshal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vamstad wrote:
Great! Thanks for the info!

When I get it apart, I'll take some photos of the Pistons to post...

I'm doing the same job you are for the same reasons.. except it was #4 that got spat out. I was even going to ask the same question...

Those photos help a lot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vamstad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: New heads or heli coil? Reply with quote

Just got my heads back from Headflow masters...damn, they look sexy!

I will post photos in the next day or two.

I have a question about the studs. With the brand new heads, there is a package of studs for the manifolds and the like. How should I install these? with two nuts? Any lock-tight or anything? Any kind of torque setting?

Last edited by Vamstad on Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: New heads or heli coil? Reply with quote

Vamstad wrote:
Just got my heads back from Headflow masters...damn, they look sexy!

I will post photos in the next day or two.

I have a question about the studs. With the brand new heads, there is a package of studs for the manifolds and the like. How should I install these? with two bolts? Any lock-tight or anything? Any kind of torque setting?

Copper or Moly Anti-seize. You can use two fasteners on them but don't over tighten them. You may want to get them out some day.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: