Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Okrasa Special
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sambafraser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add some context and history - British Pathe motor racing highlights from 1932-1959. As the car was developed around the late 50's early 60's Dave Small would have been influenced by this over the previous 30 years and his decision to mid-mount his engine.
Volkswache
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I was browse through my books and found this coachbuild car, looks nearly like this Smile

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kiwisteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's been a long old winter from the perspective of the Special. I've come to appreciate the effort that really goes into creating a car this last couple of months, and have a new found appreciation for what's called perfection.

Barry has spent the last few weeks toiling away with the various panels, endeavouring to get everything to work, and dialling in a level of perfection I must admit I did not expect with the bodywork. Five drivers door skins bear testament to that! I think I'm also going to change Barry's name by deed poll to "The Artist, formerly known as Barry Carter" because what this lad can't do with metal frankly is not worth writing about. I know he will poo-poo this as soon as he sees this thread, but I've seen the inside of enough restoration shops to know that this boy is the nuts. Anyway, waxing lyrical over, here's where we are today.

As you can see from the photos we've moved a whole lot closer to finishing the drivers side. We've also decided to paint the car: not for any reason other than I realised that when I masked the roof with black tape it shrank the roof dimensions drastically, and can see it will look far more cohesive if it's painted in one colour. Anyway, enjoy....

I must also give a big THANK YOU to Macauley, whose drawings we are still using as a guide and reference for the build. we're continually using them as a benchmark and reference point - thanks!

Cheers,
Steve
Shadd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mein Gott, that car keeps getting better and better looking every time you post!
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:26 am    Post subject: love the community effort Reply with quote

after viewing every post in this awesome thread, i have to say that i really appreciate the community aspect to this build. The renderings were great, the builder does great work, kiwisteve puts up the money, provides the vision, makes the decision, and we all get to watch it grow. awesome! I woul d really like to see some ideas for the interior. Will it be more a race or more of a sportscar like interior? bomber seats? buckets? something nice handstitched and leather? roll cage? can't wait

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
LeviMan2001
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this car, I'm glad to hear it's going to get painted. Some day I want to do a project like this too.
kiwisteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Uli, the interior is likely to be left very much as it is but with some concessions to comfort. I'd like to aim for the same level of finish as the Ferrari 250LM, Porsche 904, etc, so put a headliner in it, 356 GT/Speedster style seat for the driver trimmed in the classic basketweave vinyl of the era or black faded leather, leave the passenger area like it is, but put a swatch of material and padding on the ally structure and petrol tank, and paint the dash flat black. But nothing more: no carpets, no door liners, sound-deadening, etc. I'm trying to get as close to what people would've done building a sports road-racer back in '62. Cheers, Steve
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,

i am a great fan of black diamond stitch padding, i agree that would look great, and purposeful. You are actually going for more interior than i expected, all the better.

Uli

kiwisteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeh, there's fine balance here isn't there? Given this isn't going to be a pure race car but I plan on using it on the road, doing road rallies, etc it's got to be comfortable. PLUS, I've got the challenge of tying the steel roof with the ally body. Given the inside of the roof has light surface rust I either paint it or put a headlining in, because we've decided to paint the outside of the car. So it wasn't in the plans to begin with but as the project has developed we've had to refine the plans. I've also got to consider longevity - the chassis as I bought it hasn't been exposed to the weather at all over the past 40 years, so painting the car gives a modicum of protection: So you paint it, then an exposed and absolutely bare inside looks a little incongruous. It's all a bit of a journey TBH!
kiwisteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, no update on bodywork as we've been distracted with getting the 356 GT clone ready for racing and installing 42 DCNF's, CSP exhaust and a towbar on the Westy for towing duties. But I did buy these at the Volksworld Show in England last month, which we'll bolt up once the car is finished as the first step in it's development. Okrasa to Porsche Solex P11 manifolds. 14 inches from velocity stack tip to cylinder head. Yeah baby... Wink

John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiwisteve wrote:
...But I did buy these at the Volksworld Show in England last month, which we'll bolt up once the car is finished as the first step in it's development. Okrasa to Porsche Solex P11 manifolds. 14 inches from velocity stack tip to cylinder head. Yeah baby... Wink

Ah, had a chat with Ray Schubert did you Steve. Wink
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kiwisteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately yes! Laughing Ended up buying a whole bunch of things from him. Great parts and wonderful quality.
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiwisteve wrote:
yeh, there's fine balance here isn't there? Given this isn't going to be a pure race car but I plan on using it on the road, doing road rallies, etc it's got to be comfortable. PLUS, I've got the challenge of tying the steel roof with the ally body. Given the inside of the roof has light surface rust I either paint it or put a headlining in, because we've decided to paint the outside of the car. So it wasn't in the plans to begin with but as the project has developed we've had to refine the plans. I've also got to consider longevity - the chassis as I bought it hasn't been exposed to the weather at all over the past 40 years, so painting the car gives a modicum of protection: So you paint it, then an exposed and absolutely bare inside looks a little incongruous. It's all a bit of a journey TBH!

With all the skills and the fabulous work we have seen so far, I'm surprised you just don't make an alloy roof.
Macaulay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the bodywork is looking better and better I got inspired to try and make a emblem or logo for the car.
I've touched the subject of the car's name before with Steve but as I understand it nothing is decided on yet.
Even though the final decission is Steve's (off course) we could all chip in with suggestions.
I don't know for sure if Steve is going to place an emblem on the car but think it would be great fun to design it anyway.
Just in case. Cool

I've made a few suggestions here based on mostly "realistic facts" and with the same spirit as the car is beeing buildt in,
namely: How would it look if David finnished the car in the 60's.
I've added some things from present as it is beeing buildt now, so a combination of the two is probably the way to go.
I've used a sheild shape as base just because this is a common car emblem shape,
and this long/strecthed sheild shape has a very British look imo.
But of course any shape could be used.

1. This first design is using Small Special as the cars name and I am trying to use some
classic icons used in racing to give it a sporty racing look.
Surrey is there because thats where David started to build the car and also a nodd to Wright, Carter and Macaulay.

2. The car is already well known as the Okrasa Special, I am not sure but I think Okrasa still is a
registered trade mark (it's owned by Oettinger) so Steve might run into problems in the future calling it that.
But I had a go with that name aswell. I've added a Kiwi bird (for known reasons) a checkered background (from race inspiration) and the names of the people
mostly involved in the production.
(I feel a bit guilty having my name there, it was quite a lot of people involved in the early designs but I'm bold enough to do it anyway.) Wink

3. Again using David Small's name on this and adding in design and colour from the Small family crest (Motto: By Reason Not Rage) and WCM.

4.Basically the same but using the name DSR (David Small Racing).

So suggestions on shape, design and even name would be great i belive. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Macaulay wrote:

2. The car is already well known as the Okrasa Special, I am not sure but I think Okrasa still is a
registered trade mark (it's owned by Oettinger) so Steve might run into problems in the future calling it that.
But I had a go with that name aswell. I've added a Kiwi bird (for known reasons) a checkered background (from race inspiration) and the names of the people
mostly involved in the production.
(I feel a bit guilty having my name there, it was quite a lot of people involved in the early designs but I'm bold enough to do it anyway.) Wink

Yes "Okrasa" is a registered trade mark but not owned by Oettinger. You might like to ask Joe Ruiz for permission: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=10662

BTW I like them all. Very Happy
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great logos, love the shape and color, how about a different, less modern, more decorative font? i like th Pierce Arrow logo http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Pierce-arrow_1906.jpg

Uli

Macaulay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.
Yeah thats a sweet font.
The one I used is actually based on an old font but I plan to try out some other stuff aswell.
Just want it to be simple looking. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
James D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacLaren may still have something to say about using a Kiwi logo on a car...

Macaulay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah don't think they have the rights on using the kiwi on a car emblem.
What I find more worrying is the use of the Okrasa name.

After posting this on the ddk forums I've done some more work and changes on the logo that they prefered.
So far this is the result:
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the new logo is quite awesome!

while i do prefer the narrower shields, i also like the leaves, which make the shield a little wider.

Uli

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Page 22 of 30

Jump to: