Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Vanagon Club Forming in Atlanta
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldhuldy67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:31 pm    Post subject: Dead of summer camping Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

That's one patriotic 'possum..

Plenty of shade..

a room with a view..

And an outdoor shower..what a country! HAPPY 4th of JULY to all!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MrPolak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heads up, Atlanta area cruise-in is coming up on 20 July:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7269386#7269386
oldhuldy67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dagnabit, Muskey! First time in24 years I wish I wasn't at the beach.. Take my canteen and go on without me, I'm not gonna make it this time...all the best, john

Chech out the Athens VW club "poker run" cruise route, pretty drive, great roads, up to lunch at Fenders Diner in Cornelia, next stop at Talluah Falls, then up Hwy23, left on Old441South and left on Lake Rayburn Rd (also becomes Seed Lake Rd) , left on Burton Dam Rd., a windy road that's fun and safe to drive, another stop a the old store when you get to Hwy197 (I think) left to head home..not sure where we went after that, right to go to Jake Rabys, I think. Somewhere along the way we stopped at a huge indoor flea market. We'll See you next time, John
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
benandmj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:32 pm    Post subject: Happy Thanksgiving! Reply with quote

Hey everyone- hope folks are doing well.

I'm throwing around an idea for a North Georgia cruise and camp the weekend of 1/17-18.

We'll meet in Dahlonega before lunch on Saturday 1/17 and cruise the Chattahoochee National Forest in to the Cohutta Wilderness Area. The plan is to get to the Conasauga Lake area before dark to set up camp.

In addition to the weather, the size of the group will determine where we camp. Please RSVP on the Facebook Event that I will link to here once I figure out how to make a Facebook event.

There will likely be an hour or two of gravel roads to rattle a few bolts loose.

You'll need to bring firewood and water as I can't guarantee there will be a stop for supplies. This will be primitive camping. Plan for a big meal and a big fire.

Who's in?
oldhuldy67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:58 pm    Post subject: Dead of Winter Vanagon CampoutII Reply with quote

I'm in! Just thinking about you guys camping this past week in TN.
All the best, john
CessnaJon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're in!
2015 Sportwagon TDI 6sp
LR-JET, Gulfstream 159
benandmj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody heard from Matt lately? Is his motor back in? nekkiddawgwalkin?
oldhuldy67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1733823
If amyone is looking for a beautiful starter camper 1981 it's in Gainesville. I want to see it last night and all it needs is paint and a motor but the camper inside including original carpet is perfect very very clean inside all electrics work perfectly California car with all the California emissions junk. Rare accessories very nice only surface rust and no holes. All unmolested inside. $4k, starts but no compression..call me if you are interested in more.
Please forward to anyone you know that wants a great starter.
I wish I had this one 4 years ago.. Saved $10k.
John in Woodstock
ultralite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Visiting lurker from the Bay Window forum. Saw the Atlanta thread and decided to take a look.

Ben, I think Lake Conasauga is closed for the season? May want to double check but I thought it closed on November 1st until March or April. And, did I see your Weekender at Bobby's recently? Hope all is well.

John in Woodstock, thanks for posting on this. I saw that ad. Very tempting because if I ever get my hands on a good Vanagon Westy, I'm engine swapping first thing. My kids keep outgrowing the beds I make for my early Bay. Not that I'd get rid of it, just want to add a Vanagon to the stable. But, some of the conversion info I've read leads me to believe the early aircooled vanagon is perhaps more limited in its engine swap options? Plus, being in Atlanta I must have some air conditioning.

Hope you all have fun on the camping trip. There's a Bay window group headed for the mountains that weekend as well.

'76 Beetle (sold)
'69 Beetle (sold)
'72 BMW 2002 (RIP)
'69 Westy
'02 BMW wagon AWD w/stick shift(sold)
'67 Beetle (sold)
benandmj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ultralite wrote:
Visiting lurker from the Bay Window forum. Saw the Atlanta thread and decided to take a look.

Ben, I think Lake Conasauga is closed for the season? May want to double check but I thought it closed on November 1st until March or April. And, did I see your Weekender at Bobby's recently? Hope all is well.

John in Woodstock, thanks for posting on this. I saw that ad. Very tempting because if I ever get my hands on a good Vanagon Westy, I'm engine swapping first thing. My kids keep outgrowing the beds I make for my early Bay. Not that I'd get rid of it, just want to add a Vanagon to the stable. But, some of the conversion info I've read leads me to believe the early aircooled vanagon is perhaps more limited in its engine swap options? Plus, being in Atlanta I must have some air conditioning.

Hope you all have fun on the camping trip. There's a Bay window group headed for the mountains that weekend as well.

That was good ole Georgia Brown at Bobbys. He did a master cylinder swap for me last minute before a big trip. Hope you weren't there for any problems.

Conasauga is closed but there are a couple of good group areas nearby that I'm sure you've seen.

That being said, I'm thinking it makes more sense for us to combine forces with the bay window group you mention. Their past trips were part of the inspiration for this. I know CessnaJon's got a bay and oldhuddy is air cooled but I'll pm Jeff to make sure he doesn't mind a few Vanagons joining.
Jeff Geisen
Samba Chaplain

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, y'all come on. I have a decent route planned for this year, the "rooftop of Ga./N.C." tour.

We have been primitive camping the last couple of years, many pictures of past MLK trips in my gallery.

Check the winter bus trip thread in the Baywindow Forum for more details.

If anyone wants to lodge in a motel room or use a commercial campground with electricity some of each will be available near our scheduled stops.

‘63 ragtop - ‘68 single cab
benandmj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jeff!!
Bound.For.Nowhere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey all, I'm in the process of looking/buying my first westy. We went and looked at one on Saturday and decided we were going to get it. Last night we went to go pick it up and we couldn't get it to start. We tried putting gas in it, and jumping it. So we didn't leave with it. The owner was out of town but said he will fix it when he gets back. Do you all think that we should continue to pursue this one? It was on Craigslist until Saturday last week. The text said this:

1985 VW Westfalia, Full VW Camper, 4-Speed Manual Transmission, Clean interior and exterior, No rust anywhere, No fluid leak of any kind, Drives very strong, Would not hesitate to take it on a road trip, Recent brake work, the previous owner had removed the rear bumper in order to install the carry tray as pictured, it is removable and I do have the bumper. The odometer is stopped at 115,000 miles but it is around 160,000 miles. Tires are very good. No A/C. $7,500.00 obo.

We agreed upon $7,000 when we drove it and it was running seemingly great. If we do pursue it, should we negotiate again? I decided to post to a local thread since you guys might have seen the vehicle I am talking about. Thanks in advance.

Owen
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
benandmj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Owen-

I vaguely remember seeing that ad. It's hard to say whether or not you should continue to pursue. My van won't start every now and then and I trouble shoot it and get it going. It's usually no big deal. That's a part of Vanagon ownership.

You put gas in it and jumped it? It sounds like you aren't sure what was causing the no start. It sounds like you got a pretty good price negotiated. It's hard to give advice when the problem hasn't been identified but if I were you I would definitely keep negotiating.

Let us know when you find out what was causing the no start.
Bound.For.Nowhere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, we had no idea why it would be fine on Saturday and then on Tuesday it wouldn't start (hadn't been driven since we drove it). I have been reading about Vanagons for months but nothing can substitute real experience. I'll be sure to post if the owner can figure out the problem. Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
B.O.B.Wanders
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 83.5 Westy has done that twice for no apparent reason. The first time was on the way home to Atlanta from Indiana last summer on BOB's maiden voyage (with us that is). Turned the key and...nothing. A few minutes later, just as mysteriously, it started right up. The second time several months later, I used the ignition switch jumper (AKA hotwire) method to get it cranked, but since that time it has worked each and every time. And yes, I now have a spare ignition switch ready to go. Just got the Jay Brown headlight relay kit and am considering the hard start relay kit as well.

Good luck and I hope it works out. We didn't get quite that good of a price, but BOB had an almost brand new GoWesty rebuild (<2K miles).

Rick
Mmartinphd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the link to the GoWesty article on diagnosing start issues.
http://www.gowesty.com/library_article.php?id=924
Bound.For.Nowhere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help everyone. We picked up the Vanagon on Friday. The seller said he just replaced the fuel filter and it fired up.
benandmj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're still out there, but man what a great time...

ultralite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey man, good to see y'all this weekend. when is "Dead of Winter Campout"?

'76 Beetle (sold)
'69 Beetle (sold)
'72 BMW 2002 (RIP)
'69 Westy
'02 BMW wagon AWD w/stick shift(sold)
'67 Beetle (sold)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 10 of 13

Jump to: