Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Aftermarket bubble top or high top manufacturers?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
blakeck2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Getaway Reply with quote

SciroccoLover wrote:
dipple wrote:
Another domestic option is the Getaway top from Vancouver BC.

Woah... That looks awesome. And no worries about the shipping.

Dipple do you have contact information for the supplier of these? Do you know if they still manufacture and sell them?

x2
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Classifieds Feedback
dipple
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get-Away RV Centre Ltd. formerly (L & H Leisure Vehicles Ltd.) has been owned by the Thiesen family since 1972. Lou Thiesen (Father of the current owners) is responsible for bringing some of the first RV's into British Columbia. Get Away also has deep roots in RV manufacturing and in the RV parts sales. The boys, Rod and Mark Thiesen, took over in 1992 and expanded the business to its present location on King road.

To better suit the RV lifestyle, L & H Leisure Vehicles changed it's name to Get-Away RV Centre, in 2002.

Get-Away RV boasts a modern facility, just off #1 Hwy in Abbotsford. They offer a complete service, and parts department, and a full line of excellent recreational vehicles. Get-Away provides all the professionalism of a large dealership, while giving people a comfortable feeling when they walk through the door.

With many RV's being very similar in quality, the people at Get-Away feel that the "dealership" is an important factor when buying a recreational vehicle. How a customer is treated after the sale is what makes the difference. Maybe that explains their continued success over the years.

Get-Away RV Centre, don't just believe us, drop by and be surprised!
http://www.getawayrv.com/manufacturing.aspx
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:40 pm    Post subject: pop top Reply with quote

have a poptop from a 90 westy with all the hardware. The canvas might need to be replaced.

AL
GhiaLover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the Getaway center in Abbotsford (really Vancouver BC), I just called them. They were closed, but a guy answered and said that yes, they can still get the Getaway tops for Vanagons, but that I'd need to call on Monday.

Rod is the guy to talk to. 604-853-2229

When I find out the deal, I'll post to this thread.
dipple
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope it works out. These are great tops. I love the full standing height and extra storage. Better in a headwind but worse in a crosswind. It has a full length kids bunk, microwave and storage in the front, upper cabinets with exhaust fan and lighting as well as 2 windows. I just fitted it with a Fantastic Fan and it has solved all condensation problems. It has the standard RV 14x14 opening.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GhiaLover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:21 pm    Post subject: Get-away top no longer available Reply with quote

I just heard from Rod at the Getaway shop. The Vanagon tops are no longer available.

They may have been prohibitively expensive, anyways. They are showing a van high-top for a GMC van online for about $3,000 installed. That's with no windows, no liner, nothing...
wildenbeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well- that leaves importing the timber tech tops (which would be great) or someone would need to take on producing tops from the Adventurewagen molds. I exchanged messages with the current owner and he is willing to sell the molds for $1500 which is the cost he put into repairing the molds; http://www.flickr.com/photos/vanagon_awmolds/page3/

Since Sportsmobile thought they were too expensive to reproduce (and they fetch big $$$ for their products), I am having a hard time thinking a larger outfit will think it's worthwhile. It will require a smaller shop with plenty of fiberglass experience to pull it off. Otherwise, I would safely recon that high tops in the USA will slowly become extinct.
blakeck2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildenbeast wrote:
Well- that leaves importing the timber tech tops (which would be great) or someone would need to take on producing tops from the Adventurewagen molds. I exchanged messages with the current owner and he is willing to sell the molds for $1500 which is the cost he put into repairing the molds; http://www.flickr.com/photos/vanagon_awmolds/page3/

Since Sportsmobile thought they were too expensive to reproduce (and they fetch big $$$ for their products), I am having a hard time thinking a larger outfit will think it's worthwhile. It will require a smaller shop with plenty of fiberglass experience to pull it off. Otherwise, I would safely recon that high tops in the USA will slowly become extinct.

This would be a great deal, I think it would be really cool if we can get enough people in on it and make the purchase and get the molds into circulation that way if you want it all you have to do is pay the initial cost to make the group buy and then the material to make the top, labor would be free as you make it yourself.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Classifieds Feedback
wiartonallan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been looking for a top for over a year. No luck. I have an 86 Syncro which I would like to make into a high (not that high as I am 5' 8") top. I wonder if anyone has reconstructed a NA glass top (like Econoline) to fit a Vanagon.

85 Westfalia/Bostig
18 Tigun
08 Frieghtliner Sprinter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GhiaLover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just sold out - bought an Adventurewagen with one foot in the grave and am going to pull the top off of it. Hopefully it works out.

But as far as I can see, the options are:
1. Buy existing (if you can get one)
2. Pay about $2,000 at Fiberline (through Discountvantruck it might be a little cheaper)
3. Buy from Europe with crazy shipping (likely around $4,000 all-in)
4. Find someone to start up a new business with the existing molds, and since it sounds like a few people have tried that to no avail, I'm doubting that would be economically viable.
GhiaLover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We put the Aventurewagen top on last night. The whole exercise took about three hours.

Kirk Meeks from NorthWesty did all the cutting. We left all support struts in (I didn't want to weaken the frame any more than I had to) and cut out the sheet metal top.

The AdventureWagen top is secured by about 60 small screws, 30 along each side. There are no fasteners across the front or back, although it's caulked to the body with some pretty serious caulking.

So, the idea was (1) cut the roof out, (2) unscrew all fasteners on the donor van and cut the wires to the top's lighting system, (3) lift the roof off the donor and on to the recipient (four guys did this pretty easily) (4) drill and screw the top down along each side (using stainless steel screws) and (5) caulk all the way around, paying particular attention to the front and back.

It looks real good. I'll post pictures when it's light out tomorrow.
Wolpi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update. I'm looking forward to the photos!!
Sandi_k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GhiaLover wrote:
I just sold out - bought an Adventurewagen with one foot in the grave and am going to pull the top off of it. Hopefully it works out.

But as far as I can see, the options are:
1. Buy existing (if you can get one)
2. Pay about $2,000 at Fiberline (through Discountvantruck it might be a little cheaper)
3. Buy from Europe with crazy shipping (likely around $4,000 all-in)
4. Find someone to start up a new business with the existing molds, and since it sounds like a few people have tried that to no avail, I'm doubting that would be economically viable.

That sounds about right. Grrr!

What does Sportsmobile use for their high-top piece? Who is their supplier?

Also, I just emailed my brother-in-law this thread. He owns a plastics shop in SoCal. Maybe we can beg for him to buy the AW molds. Very Happy

Sandi
J Charlton Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 1:37 pm    Post subject: top Reply with quote

You have an option - check out http://canadianhightops.ca Delivery chain issues are being worked out and the tops should start "flowing" soon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I wonder if anyone has reconstructed a NA glass top (like Econoline) to fit a Vanagon."

This has been done and I used to have a link saved. The guy made cuts like + (seen from above, cutting the roof into quarters) in the top so he could make the top narrower and shorter front-to-back, then glassed it back to normal-looking. He also built some reinforcing ribs for the inside and lined it.
Sandi_k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: top Reply with quote

J Charlton wrote:
You have an option - check out http://canadianhightops.ca Delivery chain issues are being worked out and the tops should start "flowing" soon.

I looked at that thread, and it seems I have to go to Flagstaff to get it. Frankly, we don't have the time to drive it that far.

Any plans for a CA distributor?

Sandi
reptiles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 1:42 am    Post subject: CF? Reply with quote

Hey, this is 2010; Where is the carbon fiber?

A few years ago, I made an intermold of the hood of my car in fiberglass, then made a carbon fiber/epoxy hood using a vacuum bag. A couple friends and I made 3 in my backyard (and a couple CF surfboards.) It was a fun project but an insulated van top would be a significant undertaking (even with existing molds.) Could easily cost $5,000 but would be stronger and lighter than fiberglass.
djbside
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just cut the top off an old Tin-Top at the base of the pillars, and weld it in place on the top of the other Van? Then just skin the windows with thin sheet metal and call it good!

KIDDING!!!!! Cool

I can see how using an old Econoline Van Top could work... With cutting it in to fourths and then trimming down the length and widths of each quarter till it fits, then glass it back together. I wonder if I can find an old Ambulance Top... Hmm...
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know if the hi-top off a late bay would fit onto a wbx or is the contour way off.
timber tech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 10 replacement tops are being crated and shipped next week complete with windows and roof vent. Im very sorry for the delay but things went wrong that were beyond my control but lessons have been learned from it.

So go here http://canadianhightops.ca im sure John will be happy to help you
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: