Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 87
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rubsterob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:37 pm    Post subject: Type 87 Reply with quote

Ok this might sound pretty stupid but I was
reading in the dictionary here on samba and it talked about a type 87 which looks sorta like a beetle I was woundering if any one had any info on them or knew any one that has one or ever seen one in their life. The doctionary said it was used for a high ranking German during WWII and had a picture and thought it looked kinda cool

So does any one have any sorta info what so ever?
Thanatos
Samba Psychopomp

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 87 Reply with quote

rubsterob wrote:
Ok this might sound pretty stupid but I was
reading in the dictionary here on samba and it talked about a type 87 which looks sorta like a beetle I was woundering if any one had any info on them or knew any one that has one or ever seen one in their life. The doctionary said it was used for a high ranking German during WWII and had a picture and thought it looked kinda cool

So does any one have any sorta info what so ever?

The Type 87 was manufactured by Tatra (pronounced TOT-tra) of Czechoslovakia. It was a four-door sedan, powered by an air-cooled V8 mounted in the back, and the suspension, chassis, basic shape and aerodynamics were basically ripped off by Ferdinand Porsche at the behest of Hitler, who of course commissioned the original "people's car" before World War II. Volkswagen was required to pay millions of Deutschemarks to Tatra after a lawsuit, and didn't finish paying off their debt to Tatra until the mid-1960s.

In addition, the Tatra Type 87 (more commonly known as the T87) played a small part in the Axis losing World War II by killing or maiming Nazi soldiers who drove T87s obtained during the invasion of Czechoslovakia too fast or too hard. Thus, Hitler banned all soldiers except those of high rank from driving Tatras so that he would have a better chance of winning the war. Thankfully, things didn't happen that way, otherwise I might not be here to share my vast information. (I was raised Catholic, am part Jewish, and had polio as a small child, all of which would have contributed to me being executed by the Gestapo or Schutzstaffel.)

This may not be exact information on the Tatra Type 87, but this is how I've heard and seen of it over the years.

Here's a picture of a nicely restored Tatra Type 87:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Beautiful car, ain't it? Smile

OG
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rubsterob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very interesting info. do you know if they are super rare to come across or are there still a few floating around?
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:05 am    Post subject: Re: Type 87 Reply with quote

Old Grimey wrote:

The Type 87 was manufactured by Tatra (pronounced TOT-tra) of Czechoslovakia.

Ummm, the Samba is a VOLKSWAGEN web site. One should naturally assume he's talking about a VOLKSWAGEN Type 87.

It is a WWII variation of the Bug. It has the 4x4 drivetrain of the Schwimmwagen, but with a KDF sedan body. Also known as a Kommandeurwagen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Thanatos
Samba Psychopomp

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Type 87 Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
Old Grimey wrote:

The Type 87 was manufactured by Tatra (pronounced TOT-tra) of Czechoslovakia.

Ummm, the Samba is a VOLKSWAGEN web site. One should naturally assume he's talking about a VOLKSWAGEN Type 87.

It is a WWII variation of the Bug. It has the 4x4 drivetrain of the Schwimmwagen, but with a KDF sedan body. Also known as a Kommandeurwagen.

OK, sorry, I didn't know what the type number of the Kommandeurwagen was. When I saw the mentions of high-ranking German soldiers and a beetle-like shape, my mind jumped to the Tatra. Now I know that the Kommandeurwagen was also called a Type 87. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gonebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Type 87= The baddest factory beetle of all time! Twisted Evil

Alex
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the original off road VW's.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: