Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Hightop Option
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 41, 42, 43 ... 70, 71, 72  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

Birdcage wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

That's officially badass.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

Birdcage wrote:

Hmmmmm.... looks like Colorado Camper Vans' work. http://www.coloradocampervan.com/ Very sweet. The window design is the give away.

I saw a few of those back in the day when I was out west. Some even had double beds up top and extensions out the front and back like a poptop trailer camper would have. Pretty neat designs. I always thought it would be neat on the front of a vanagon.

That "Top Bunk" roof top tent looks nice too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bffUEk0-5FE Nice option for a slick top vanagon if you don't want to cut the roof.

Last edited by nemobuscaptain on Mon May 30, 2016 8:05 am; edited 3 times in total
J Charlton Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

For sure it is the work of Dai at Colorado Camper Vans
http://www.coloradocampervan.com/

Adrian and I dropped of an AW top for him in Loveland Colorado on our recent delivery trip - I was able to squeeze another top out of our fabricator Terry at the last minute. Once the windows are installed (another last minute addition to a filled order book) the install will be complete.

We were really impressed with the variety and quality of the work that we saw at Colorado Camper Vans. Sprinters, Promasters, Fords .... all looked great. All looked relatively huge in comparison to our tidy little VW's though.

This is the sort of innovative application and use of our tops that i have been anticipating. There are several other terrific installations underway currently, mostly related to maximizing useful interior space. Pictures as I get them.

JC
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

Wow, that is a spectacular option for your already spectacular tops. I presume they could poptop your bigger top just as easily.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

some of the very nice white pine woodwork that Adrian does with his installs

front bulkhead to storage area

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Birdcage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

nemobuscaptain wrote:
Wow, that is a spectacular option for your already spectacular tops. I presume they could poptop your bigger top just as easily.

The NAHT would be tough to do given the front profile sloping so far back. The geometry is not ideal but it could be done, the Adventure Wagen top is ideal because of the flat roof that nearly covers the entire length of the van.

dai,
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

Joel Lane does some outstanding installs of hightops in ColoradoSprings. His customer wanted some beetlekill pine accents.
Not great lighting has made everything seem darker than it really is

Bulkhead

Pine ceiling

Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

Another on the road. A very nice DIY in the Santa Cruz area.

Type17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

My phone is from Santa Cruz, the van is in Berkeley/Walnut Creek, but yeah. Pleasure working with you and Kevin on this, I love it!

I'll post some more interior pictures once I make some progress. It's going to be... different.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

another nice DIY on the road

dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

^^^^ Love the lines on that one. Well done. Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Red Beard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

I got my NAHT top on and platforms built front and rear. Still trying to decide on a bulkhead design for the front.

I had hoped that the top would provide a suitable upstairs bed for my wife and I, however, at 6'4" and 6', and the bed platform being only a little over 4 feet wide, we are just too much knees and elbows to really use it comfortably.

So I think we are going to just use the upstairs rear for storage. With that in mind, I need to figure out some kind of convenient barrier for the rear compartment to prevent things from flying if we slam on the breaks or get in an accident.

I don't really want a bulkhead there, maybe some sort of cargo net? (How to anchor it?)

I was wondering if anyone could share their solutions to this problem?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
noelleon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

This is what I did. Cargo net to panels adhered to the shell. I used T-nuts and eye hooks here as well as elsewhere on the top. It's worked very well on some sketchy downhill descents and quick stops.

Just for fun is the front. I opted to forgo a bulkhead here, as what I really need was storage for soft bulky things. Sleeping bags fit in snuggly and I like the extra space.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

If you're going to use the "upstairs" for storage then there are a couple of things that folks have done to limit the movement of "stuff" up there.
1. make the surface non slidey - use rubbery stuff that you can stick down - lots of folks use "tupperware" bins to keep clothes, bedding etc etc organized - if so, fastening some rubbery stuff to the bottom of them really limits their sliding around, especially on another rubbery surface.
2. Having said that (1) I suspect that folks still want something to secure their upper storage. I suggest putting a series of eye screws into the perimeter of the rear platform - all 4 sides - then a cargo net - if left unhooled at the front and maybe part way down each side - can be used to slide stuff uinder, it'll "expand" as you put more stuff under it - when you're through, hook the cargo net down to the eye bolts.
I'm sure that Harbor Freight has nets similar to those we Canuks can get from Princess Auto.
http://www.princessauto.com/en/search?Dy=1&Nty=1&Ntt=cargo+net
Red Beard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips. This is what I did for now, will see how it works out. Might actually do the same thing in the front because I like the idea of not having the bulkhead...might make it feel more roomy when standing there.

You can see my wiring hanging down, in the center will be an LED dome light. The two wires on the sides are attached to these really cool velcro backed dimmable LED strips. They stick right onto the flexform, no modification required! They will get power from the front, and you can plug multiple sets together if you want. The other cool thing is I stuck them right along my flexform seems, and it totally hides them. Not that my seems look too bad.

https://www.maxmysafe.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=White-LED-Strip-48
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TequilaSunSet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Birdcage wrote:

That's officially badass.

That is way badass... and imagine my surprise when I met Dai at CCV... he knew me and I am crap when it comes to remembering faces/names. What a small world... I drive 5 states and run into a Vanagon owner and craftsman (even his bycycle is a work of art) there that I originally met at Syncrofest a couple of years... looking forward to what they do to my Safari Very Happy
1967 Bug- Gone
1964 Euro Sunroof Bug- Gone
1969/72/63 Sunroof Bug- Gone
1975 Brazilian Bug in the Philippines 🇵🇭- New to me
Vilas69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

Is there anyone in Europe selling this roofs, or is there any chance to ship them? I really like both, more them Reimo and other european roofs...
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

I like the Weinsberg that Tiger Bus has.....

Also, X2 on European Market E/
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

TequilaSunSet wrote:
That is way badass... and imagine my surprise when I met Dai at CCV... he knew me and I am crap when it comes to remembering faces/names. What a small world... I drive 5 states and run into a Vanagon owner and craftsman (even his bycycle is a work of art) there that I originally met at Syncrofest a couple of years... looking forward to what they do to my Safari Very Happy

I saw a few of their rigs in Airizona from time time. Very cool work always.

Nice to see the are teaming up with NAHightops.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
Red Beard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

Done.

Well, almost....need to wire up my interior lights.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 41, 42, 43 ... 70, 71, 72  Next
Jump to:
Page 42 of 72

Jump to: