Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

American Pickers
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 47, 48, 49 ... 54, 55, 56  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JiI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mannys66 wrote:
Cusser wrote:
mannys66 wrote:
JiI wrote:
DVR? I'm still recording on our trusty JVC VCR!
Jeff

Man, you must be really old, like 40 or 45

I have 5 operational VCRs. One DVD recorder. No DVR. These are at two houses. Also 2 working turntables. Cassette players in my VW and my truck. Penncraft (JC Penney) lifetime combination wrenches from 1971, vise-grip and hammer a decade older than those...

No viagr needed.

WOW, you are definately one of the oldest guys here in the samba, what are you like 50 ? Laughing

41. Next question....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JiI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, the Subway placement stuff is really annoying. Evil or Very Mad
I love the silver "Corvette" toy Frank just bought. Rolling Eyes Laughing
Jeff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DMNCLNR
Sir Camp'alot

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JiI wrote:
Okay, the Subway placement stuff is really annoying. Evil or Very Mad
I love the silver "Corvette" toy Frank just bought. Rolling Eyes Laughing
Jeff

It has Mercedes emblems all over it, and it's not even old.. I really think frank is "special"
Pl@y@ #1
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
73sports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think because of the Subway placement in the last few shows, I am never going to eat there again. We already have comercial breaks during the show, I don't want one in the show. Super annoying, and the food there is mediocre at best.

Central Jersey VW Society
UZI
Platinum FUBU

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

73sports wrote:
I think because of the Subway placement in the last few shows, I am never going to eat there again. We already have comercial breaks during the show, I don't want one in the show. Super annoying, and the food there is mediocre at best.

it's called "product shot". you see it in movies all the time. you are getting advertised at during movies whether it's a can of coke, a car a character is driving. it proliferates.

Quote:
mannys66: South Philly Van Club, only the most influential and freshest van club in the vw scene
Quote:
Cuñado: Chrome will get you home!!!!!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr. Unpopular
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is in the movies, they are good at it. "Reality" TV stars are not good actors, so it makes it painfully obvious when they try to do so.
JiI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to see mistakes and failures on the show. (getting refused, problems that come up, looser camera, getting the camera crew involved etc...) It would give more reality to it. Just ditch the product placement. They might as well go NASCAR and cover the truck with sponsors.......
Jeff
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mannys66 wrote:
Cusser wrote:
mannys66 wrote:
JiI wrote:
DVR? I'm still recording on our trusty JVC VCR!
Jeff

Man, you must be really old, like 40 or 45

I have 5 operational VCRs. One DVD recorder. No DVR. These are at two houses. Also 2 working turntables. Cassette players in my VW and my truck. Penncraft (JC Penney) lifetime combination wrenches from 1971, vise-grip and hammer a decade older than those...

No viagr-a needed.

WOW, you are definately one of the oldest guys here in the samba, what are you like 50 ? Laughing

Almost 60. That's why I know a lot, and when (usually) not to respond. Have to get back to work now, then go home and fix windshield washer plumbing on my '88 Mazda truck, and fix the sagging headliner on my '98 Frontier, then maybe an "adult swim" with Mrs. Cusser. Got to get in shape for tennis league starting next week....
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
ablakely
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Hoarders Id Reply with quote

deaner352 wrote:
He's Tim Maring from Cobden Illinois

More information: http://thesouthern.com/news/local/cobden-man-s-col...002e0.html
JiI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just saw the episode from last Monday. They were in Joliet. The place they picked was only 10 minutes from me! Just drove past it this morning after getting some happiness at Home Cut Donuts!
Jeff

Last edited by JiI on Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally saw the Whidbey Island episode, I frequent their business all the time. Not the most exciting episode I have ever seen, But it was cool to see local stuff. Now lets draw the attention somewhere else. Cool

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sweet sister just Surprised me with DirectTV for my birthday! Very Happy Being an Old antique dealer I just watched 6 hours of them picking & meeting all the colorful characters involved in antiques. I don't have any problem with Mike & Frank or their prices.

Savage Family Diggers is another one I'm enjoying. Cool
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JiI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike just got a split window. The writeup is a byline in the last Hot VW's.
Shaun Murray
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wrapped up a 3 week cross country trip with my family in one of my buses. Yesterday we stopped by the Pickers Nashville shop. I have been the biggest fan of these guys since their show came out, I never miss an episode. The only thing I can say after stopping by the shop is that they have sold out, and went Hollywood in a big way. The shop is only like a 30'x30' corner of the old Marathon factory. I would say about 90% of the items in the shop say either "NFS", or "Part of Mikes Personal Collection". The things that were "FS" were priced so high they clearly don't want to sell them. The shop is full of teenage employees and clearly just a tourist trap for selling t-shirts and cheap, chinese junk with their logo stamped on it. Nobody from the show was anywhere to be found. I ran into a fellow in a campground in Iowa, earlier in my trip that had just been to the Iowa shop. He warned me, but I had to stop and see for myself. My wife always said it was fake, I hate it when she's right Mad !

BTW, here's a pic for proof I was actually there Laughing . On the upside, it is a totally cool old building with a few other businesses in it and you can mingle through the halls. It's decorated with alot of old photos of its Marathon roots. This was much more interesting to me than the shop was.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

JiI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were there last year. I wanted that red arrow! But it was NFS. Just went to the Iowa store about 3 weeks ago. It was empty of people at a few points so I got to talk to the employees there. They said it was going to be closed the next day for filming. They are building an addition next door to it.
Jeff
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw some guy in Texas with a "Barndoor" for sale on the show. I do believe it was Skim.

.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>

# 303 and #156

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=567125
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stayed in a hotel last weekend and got the chance to watch a Pickers episode. Hadn't seen it in a few years.

We watched the episode where they meet this cool hippy guy in Wisconsin that had several well maintained buildings full of stuff. It was entertaining.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
I stayed in a hotel last weekend and got the chance to watch a Pickers episode. Hadn't seen it in a few years.

We watched the episode where they meet this cool hippy guy in Wisconsin that had several well maintained buildings full of stuff. It was entertaining.

Cheeseheads in general are quite entertaining. Very Happy
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
cdennisg wrote:

Cheeseheads in general are quite entertaining. Very Happy

This is true. But Iowegians rank right up there. Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 47, 48, 49 ... 54, 55, 56  Next
Jump to:
Page 48 of 56

Jump to: