Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Vanagon Owner Question
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Weezyissuperfast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:20 pm    Post subject: New Vanagon Owner Question Reply with quote

So, I just got my first Vanagon...a long time dream realized. It is an '87 Wolfsburg. The body and interior are in great shape, but there are some mechanical issues. My major area of concern at the moment is that it blows white smoke out of the exhaust. I'm assuming that this is indicative of a blown head gasket that is allowing coolant to get into the cylinder and burn. Am I correct in this assumption?

I am planning on pulling the engine and replacing the head gaskets. I am hoping to not have to replace the heads themselves at this time. Do I have a prayer of this? I'm trying to get an idea of just what I will be sinking into this repair before I start it.

Thanks!

-Rob
geo_tonz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The usual head gasket failure is the water jacket seal letting go and profuse coolant leaking from there (thick black gasket between water jacket and head). White smoke MAY be a coolant burning situation but is often a very rich-running condition, caused by various things including a crapped out O2 sensor, leaky exhaust, bad grounds, etc, etc. best to figure your ailment before tearing the heads off. If you are convinced of head gaskets then you can have your coolant tested for combustion gasses. Your cooling system should be percolating pretty good if the head seals are gone and allowing combustion gasses in.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just on a good note. One of my kids took a Westy camping late in the year. They woke up and started the vehicle.
White smoke blew out along with water.
They shut it down and promptly called me on a cell phone stating their dilemma and a blown head gasket.

I told them to start it back up, let it warm up and call me back if it still blew white smoke.

I never got a return call.... Shocked

Hopefully yours is this easy. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you smell coolant in the exhaust?

A sweet smell, may make you hungry for pancakes.

I have not done this but I recall threads describing the use of JBWeld to address small pits that are often found on the head surfaces. Sounds like a hack but by all accounts it is a responsible approach in some cases.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you losing coolant from the reservoir?
Any whiteness on your oil dip stick?
vela123321
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syncro Jael wrote:
Just on a good note. One of my kids took a Westy camping late in the year. They woke up and started the vehicle.
White smoke blew out along with water.
They shut it down and promptly called me on a cell phone stating their dilemma and a blown head gasket.

I told them to start it back up, let it warm up and call me back if it still blew white smoke.

I never got a return call.... Shocked

Hopefully yours is this easy. Wink

Good kid to have that situational awareness and actually call you! I hope I'm so lucky...

1987 Westfalia Vanagon 2.1 automatic
2014 VW TDi Jetta Sportwagen (Dieselgate)
2016 BMW 328i

1967 Bug... given to a friend
others not VW... Toyota, Audi, Volvo, Datsun, International Harvester
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A blown water jacket will leak coolant around the seal, the thick black rubber seal around where the head meets the case. A blown head gasket is internal. The head gasket is a metal ring that sits ontop of the cylinder and is crushed (sealed) by a properly torqued head (33ft pounds i believe). When the head gasket goes bad it allows combustion gases into the coolant and if bad enough allows coolant into the combustion chamber, which would give you white smoke for sure and a smell of burning coolant out of exhaust. How bad is the white smoke, just on start up, all time driving or just on decel? All these symptoms could point into different directions. Are you sure the smoke is not slightly bluish? That would indicate possibly bad rings or valve guides.
dig deeper and report back so can help diagnose properly

Welcome to the looney bin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A weeping brake master cylinder can fill the booster with brake fluid that will get drawn into the engine an smoke too. Rare, but does happen.
Weezyissuperfast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help everyone. I haven't had a chance to drive it yet, as the auto transmission is slipping (that is my first project). From what I can tell just letting it run in the driveway, there is no smoke on startup but within a couple of minutes the smoke starts. It is definitely white, not blue at all. Nothing obvious on the oil dip stick, looks pretty clean, no sign of coolant. I will run it some more this weekend and look for gas in the coolant. Thanks!

-Rob
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. That white smoke just sounds like condensation before the engine warms up. If you have white smoke after driving (not just idling) for 10 minutes then let us know.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: