Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Child's cot from busdepot.com
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
erisaaka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:20 am    Post subject: Child's cot from busdepot.com Reply with quote

Does anyone know if this would work for a VW Vanagon?

http://www.busdepot.com/7001
dsdunbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Childs cot from busdepot.com Reply with quote

busdepot has one for the vanagon:

http://www.busdepot.com/251898565
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Childs cot from busdepot.com Reply with quote

BusDepot does have one specifically for the Vanagon too.

I think it is the same as the SelectVW product talked here.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=215520&highlight=cot

-d

(Edit: I'm a slow typer today.)
91 Westy (Only the top 12 inches of this van (a burn victim))
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Childs cot from busdepot.com Reply with quote

http://selectvwparts.com/cab-storage-child-cot-for...0f32e5c41d

I own this one and it kicks ass!

Square bars that slide into each other so storage is easy. Excellent canvas too.

Last edited by Gruppe B on Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:57 am; edited 1 time in total
erisaaka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Child's cot from busdepot.com Reply with quote

Thx all! I overlooked the vanagon one.
Hamish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Childs cot from busdepot.com Reply with quote

Gruppe B wrote:
http://selectvwparts.com/cab-storage-child-cot-for...0f32e5c41d

I own this one and it kicks ass!

Square bars that slide into each other so storage is easy. Excellent canvas too.

Hi, what do the brackets on yours look like? I just posted on another thread that the kit I got from Bus Depot has moon shaped brackets that I can't fit on my front pillars because of the window seal. The selctvwparts brackets look narrower.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Child's cot from busdepot.com Reply with quote

Dug a little bit for you...

Bus Depot hardware like yours specifies '68-79 BUS:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Meanwhile, Select VW Parts shows different & much narrower for "T25" (aka Vanagon):

So, yeah...looks like you got the wrong goods... Confused

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Child's cot from busdepot.com Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:

Meanwhile, Select VW Parts shows different & much narrower for "T25" (aka Vanagon):

- Dave

I threw out the select vw hardware and used the factory Baywindow hardware (68-79 bus hardware photo shown) . Much cleaner and lower profile but still works perfectly with the selectvw cot.

You should be able to install in your van, I'll try and post some photos showing them installed in my 1985 tonight

Cheers
Gruppe B
Hamish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Child's cot from busdepot.com Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:

- Dave

Thanks I sent that to bus depot and we're still chatting. The kit I got is also different from the picture on bus depot's site for my cot. According to that I should have nuts or washers or something instead of just screws. The pic's very small so it's hard to see. I'm happy to use the ones I got but myself and two experienced mechanics have so far found no way to safety get them to fit.
Hamish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Child's cot from busdepot.com Reply with quote

Gruppe B wrote:
dhaavers wrote:

- Dave

I threw out the select vw hardware and used the factory Baywindow hardware (68-79 bus hardware photo shown) . Much cleaner and lower profile but still works perfectly with the selectvw cot.

You should be able to install in your van, I'll try and post some photos showing them installed in my 1985 tonight

Cheers
Gruppe B

Thanks. That would be great. I've spent a fair bit of time on it but the bar hooks just won't get in there. Shame you threw out that hardware, I would have bought it if I can't get other brackets sent over.
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Child's cot from busdepot.com Reply with quote

Some info here as well https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=555679

Just a regular guy
oppositeofthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Child's cot from busdepot.com Reply with quote

I'm in the middle of trying to get this same thing sorted out with SelectVW. I think they and BusDepot are using the same brackets, probably from the same manufacturer. Rob at SelectVW told me the supplier only provides the rounded half-circle brackets for the Vanagon kits now. I tried it with one bracket and there was no way it would fit with the little room that's on the a-pillar. Rob said the manufacturer looked at a video I sent and said I had the wrong bracket on there (two have a hump on one side, two have a hump on the other side). The instructions suck so I was following German instructions from the Kinderbed that I found somewhere. I still need to try to fit the other bracket to see if it will work, but I really don't think it will since the clearance is so tight. He said they can no longer get the brackets originally pictured (and still pictured on the SelectVW website) unfortunately. I'll try to get to this tomorrow and post my findings.
JimmyJagged
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Child's cot from busdepot.com Reply with quote

We have installed the SelectVW cots in both of our Vanagons. They work great. My son (last pic) is 6'0' 150lbs and it works great for him and his college friends. I have slept in it and found it surprisingly comfortable.
Here are the locations of where we installed the brackets. I would go 1/4 to 1/2 inch lower - but you want the occupied (sagging) cot to clear the steering wheel.
On the A-pillar, you need to overhang the pillar a little bit to leave room between the window seal. Also, I find it helpful to add a washer under the bracket to add a little extra space. The screws provided work good for us.
Install the front brackets first, then insert the poles and cot into the front brackets. Pull the cot as tight as you can towards the back and mark your position before installing the rear brackets. On the rear brackets, you want to make it really hard, but possible, to insert because , over time, the cot will stretch - making future set up easier.

1985 Pop Top Weekender Vanagon (my 19yo son's first car. father/son project)
1985 Pop Top Weekender Vanagon w/ 2.5 Subaru

Past:
1976 Rabbit diesel (my first car). RIP. totaled by drunk driver (not me!)
1973 Pop Top Westfalia Weekender Bus. RIP. Blown engine due to 25yo ignorant of VW maintenance (me).
1986 Vanagon Transporter. RIP. totaled by drunk driver (not me!)
1987 Vanagon Syncro. I never should have sold.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Child's cot from busdepot.com Reply with quote

Quote:
We have installed the SelectVW cots in both of our Vanagons. They work great.

FYI, their cot and ours come from the same manufacturer. (Not that this is the case for other things, just that particular item.)

Don't forget to ask for your 5% Samba discount. (Email [email protected] with your user name to get the code.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Child's cot from busdepot.com Reply with quote

Busdepot wrote:
Quote:
We have installed the SelectVW cots in both of our Vanagons. They work great.

FYI, their cot and ours come from the same manufacturer. (Not that this is the case for other things, just that particular item.)

Don't forget to ask for your 5% Samba discount. (Email [email protected] with your user name to get the code.)

Five star cot! Thanks for bringing these in.
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Child's cot from busdepot.com Reply with quote

I think Westfalia recommended limiting the weight to 90# and under

Just a regular guy
hkunstmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Child's cot from busdepot.com Reply with quote

I installed mine from Busdepot. Just love the extra shortage...
I used pop rivets instead of screws, looks much better and easier to install. Make sure you install the brackets the correct way, they are angled to adjust for the windshield side pillars, same in the rear.. The canvas is heavy duty and the attach bars needed to have the ends cleaned up due too sharp edges. Used a scotchbrite wheel. Otherwise great product, will last for decades!
oppositeofthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Child's cot from busdepot.com Reply with quote

JimmyJagged - Thank you! Your pics of the bracket install and note about adding a spacer washer give me heart that mine will work. I'll give it another shot this weekend. Much appreciated.
Andymon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Child's cot from busdepot.com Reply with quote

JimmyJagged wrote:
We have installed the SelectVW cots in both of our Vanagons. They work great. My son (last pic) is 6'0' 150lbs and it works great for him and his college friends. I have slept in it and found it surprisingly comfortable.
Here are the locations of where we installed the brackets. I would go 1/4 to 1/2 inch lower - but you want the occupied (sagging) cot to clear the steering wheel.
On the A-pillar, you need to overhang the pillar a little bit to leave room between the window seal. Also, I find it helpful to add a washer under the bracket to add a little extra space. The screws provided work good for us.
Install the front brackets first, then insert the poles and cot into the front brackets. Pull the cot as tight as you can towards the back and mark your position before installing the rear brackets. On the rear brackets, you want to make it really hard, but possible, to insert because , over time, the cot will stretch - making future set up easier.

I don't see how/where you put the washer as there doesn't seem to be enough room to even hold a washer in place.
JimmyJagged
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Child's cot from busdepot.com Reply with quote

I installed 2 washers around the screws under the bracket and on top of the A-pillar. If your screws are not long enough to give you enough space, then try a slightly longer screw.
Also, It is easier if the bracket overhangs the pillar.
1985 Pop Top Weekender Vanagon (my 19yo son's first car. father/son project)
1985 Pop Top Weekender Vanagon w/ 2.5 Subaru

Past:
1976 Rabbit diesel (my first car). RIP. totaled by drunk driver (not me!)
1973 Pop Top Westfalia Weekender Bus. RIP. Blown engine due to 25yo ignorant of VW maintenance (me).
1986 Vanagon Transporter. RIP. totaled by drunk driver (not me!)
1987 Vanagon Syncro. I never should have sold.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: