Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon won't start
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
purplepeopleeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Autozone, shucks/o'riley starters and alternators are SHYT.

I went through the same thing, I have two "new" ones on the shelf after I gave up returning these after failing.
VanWilder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I the replacement starter going and I removed the old bushing and tapped in a new one. I am putting the starter in and it won't mate up all the way. It's as though the gear cogs don't align properly. I have pulled the starter back out 100 times to see if I can turn the gear and get it to align properly.

WTH am I doing wrong?
VanWilder has given back to me more then I could ever put into it September 22, 2010
Malama Ka `Aina—"Respect the Land"
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There has been mix ups with AT and MT starters before. Do you know that you got the right one?
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
VanWilder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not the gears, it seem as though the shaft will not fit in the bushing without me pounding the starter into the bushing or at least tapping it in.

Not sure what is going on I will check AT and MT,

I have the same part # as the original starter that was bad. For some reason this starter seems to want to be smacked into place. I don't think that is the way this should go as the last one I put in slid in like butter.

Anyone??
VanWilder has given back to me more then I could ever put into it September 22, 2010
VanWilder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so now the stater is in and the Van won't run. On the first fire up it was strong. It started and died. I starts and it seems to be misfiring and choking. I have to stay on the gas to keep it running. Prior to doing the starter replacement, the van ran fine. I had to remove some things on the engine to get to that nasty top bolt on the starter. I have checked to make sure I replaced everything.

I have all of the wires connected to the Starter terminal tight. The 2 wires Red and Blue are on their little terminals.

What could cause this from simply replacing my starter?
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VanWilder wrote:
Ok so now the stater is in and the Van won't run. On the first fire up it was strong. It started and died. I starts and it seems to be misfiring and choking. I have to stay on the gas to keep it running. Prior to doing the starter replacement, the van ran fine. I had to remove some things on the engine to get to that nasty top bolt on the starter. I have checked to make sure I replaced everything.

I have all of the wires connected to the Starter terminal tight. The 2 wires Red and Blue are on their little terminals.

What could cause this from simply replacing my starter?

Check again that the clot of wires at the starter 13mm nut terminal are all accounted for. There is a red one that feeds the double relay. There is a plug-in red/white wire that runs the cold start valve.
Colin
VanWilder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked all connections. I cant believe that perhaps this starter is bad too?
VanWilder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah ok so I took all of the connections off and put them back on agian for the fourth time and Vanwilder fired right up. Running so strong now (knocking on wood). Thankx folks.... Laughing Going to go look for Bald Eagles tomorrow.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VanWilder wrote:
Yeah ok so I took all of the connections off and put them back on again for the fourth time and Vanwilder fired right up. Running so strong now (knocking on wood). Thankx folks.... Laughing Going to go look for Bald Eagles tomorrow.

I saw somewhere around 80 Balds last Thursday, but unfortunately didn't have the camera with me. Went out today and saw maybe 25 and took a few pics. Most where pretty blurry as my camera lacks image stabilization, but cool all the same. Interesting times this year with our unseasonably warm weather. Someone wrote into our local paper that they had looked out their window and had seen a line of Robins passing by at a rate of several per second. This went on for 4 hours. If I remember correctly he figured this added up to something like 180,000 Robins. Hope they don't end up starving to death as they must be a full month early.
aquaboxa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VanWilder wrote:
I took the starter to Autozone where I bought and it they tested it and yes ,, BAD starter...

It makes troubleshooting that much harder when you can have absolutely no faith in the crap products these chains are peddling.
VanWilder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Wildthings where do you live? 80 Eagles? WTF? -Over- I am in Portland and will head out to Hagg Lake just for the drive I have seen Eagles snatch fish from the lake.

I hope to see at least one today. Seeing something like that is almost as great as a finely running Vanwilder!!! Ok,, it might be equal...
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the eagles out near the mouth of the Klickitat River near where it flows into the Columbia. Must have caught a flock passing through, as I have never seen anywhere near that many before. Spotting 10-25 at this time of year is not too unusual once you learn to recognize and look for the juveniles. The juveniles up to four years in age, don't have the white head and tail feathers of the adults so don't show up very well when sitting in a tree.

Did see one bird Saturday that I think may have been a winter born Bald from down south. Young eagle look larger (but weight less) than mature eagle and this bird looked huge, was very downy looking, and had differently colored wings. I knew this happened on the east coast that there were winter born eagles, but hadn't heard of it on the west coast.
VanWilder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We saw a Condor out at Hagg,, Great day..
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VanWilder wrote:
We saw a Condor out at Hagg,, Great day..

Very cool, that's something I have yet to ever see.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: