Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New guy here...
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
motleypixel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:03 am    Post subject: New guy here... Reply with quote

Hey everyone,

Funny how one day just talking to someone about my 94’ Volvo wagon and it’s shortcoming regarding camping friendliness (just not enough room and maybe power for a dad with 3 boys in Scouts). His first words out of his mouth…VW Syncro…WRX outfitted. Okay, didn’t mean much to me until we got back to the office. So, I’m not after the dragster VW Bus, but I’m beginning to feel some sort of attraction here…love at first sight…LOL, not even close but who knows?

I’m going to lurk here some, but for starters, am I in the right mind-space here? We have the “normal” family car 02’ Honda Ody (tranny died at 90K too) but it’s mom’s car. And my commuter, the 94’ Volvo Wagon, which doubles as our camping transportation.

However, what sparked all of this and why my co-worker said Syncro WRX is because I would like to also find something that has a tranny/engine that could pull something like this: http://austin.craigslist.org/spo/2270676587.html

You’re new-comer/NOOB who’s just another Scouting Dad, husband, regular old guy that works a lot and wonder how he finds any time to play,
Roy
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome and you'll catch the disease known as Vanagonitis is no time! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
climberjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Roy,

Welcome to the Samba.

For a top o'the line example of what you are after, you might start looking here:
http://subagon.com/

or here, at Syncro ads on the Samba:
http://bit.ly/hVqyhC

But realistically, question your need/desire for 4WD. A syncro can add a lot of potential cost, hassles and mechanical issues, and you need to ask yourself if the cost is worth the benefit.

2Wd camper vans can get to a LOT of places, are far easier to find, and are generally less expensive in every aspect.

Also, question your need/desire to haul a monster trailer like that. (It touches on the more metaphysical goals of camping, which is a too broad a topic to get into here.) I say, if you really want to haul that, get a real truck (like most Texans I've met) and be done with it.

My 2 bits,
CJ
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trailer set up you show looks like it may not have springs. If so it might rip the rear right out of the tow vehicle.
motleypixel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advise guys. Not dead set on that trailer...just more of something to keep in mind. Yes, I'm in Texas and yes I was born in Austin but I've only spent about a 1/10th of my life here. I'm just searching to see if there are alternatives to that Hemi V8 truck. I'm not the big show-off Texan...I like it simple while meeting objectives. Speaking of an objective, here's an example.

Three day week-end at a primitive camp site 4 hours away. Near-by lake/river, load up gear for 3 boys and one adult. Haul 3 kayaks along with camping gear. Would like the available power to pull a 17' "fishing" boat...not the nice luxury Glasstron with in-board/out-board V8.

-Roy
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome and enjoy the atmosphere while lurking..
you[ve already chosen the path, but the scenery is too pretty to notice..

there is a thread around here about what you can/we do tow with a vanagon.. plenty tow light duty work..
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=413266&highlight=tow

but the best thread is Vanagons in the Wilderness.. well best behind any roadtrip thread..
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=312076&highlight=wilderness

swivel the seat, sit back and enjoy the sunset out the back & slider while enjoying some nice beverage..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
motleypixel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep this will do Smile

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
motleypixel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

climberjohn wrote:
Hi Roy,

Welcome to the Samba.

For a top o'the line example of what you are after, you might start looking here:
http://subagon.com/

CJ

Ummm...wow...$40K on average Shocked
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it were me, I would just find the best 2WD westybus I could in my price range and get a lighter trailer. You will be fine.

I am all of 100 HP and put my 14' yaks on this Home Depot trailer. I could have gone smaller also....

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

motleypixel wrote:

Gotta pay to play with the big boys!
Razz
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can relate about the scouting and Vanagons. UNLESS you need to go deep off roading, a well set up 2WD will do just fine. Anyplace we go doing scout related activities can be gotten to with 2WD pick up truck carrying back packs and pulling the troop trailer. So you don't need the Syncro as sexy as it is. We are a high adventure troop, too, so I know.

The Westy is a AWESOME thing for going to Scout camp or any activity. You stay in the van and the boys stay with their patrol. You watch, they work. Just the way it should be.

Plan on repairing the van. Take it a step at a time. This Summer will be the fist one I go under Suby power. This year we are on the water at Fiesta Island and also Santa Catalina Island for Emerald Bay (woo hoo!) The van is optimal for transporting a few scouts and the gear for them, if needed.

Go read around you will see all the good and bad for the Vanagon.

YIS,
Walt...

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
I am Wildcat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

motleypixel wrote:
Funny how one day just talking to someone about my 94’ Volvo wagon and it’s shortcoming regarding camping friendliness (just not enough room and maybe power for a dad with 3 boys in Scouts). His first words out of his mouth…VW Syncro…WRX outfitted. Okay, didn’t mean much to me until we got back to the office. So, I’m not after the dragster VW Bus, but I’m beginning to feel some sort of attraction here…love at first sight…LOL, not even close but who knows?

Haha, love it! Welcome to the site and no, there isn't a treatment center for you forthcoming Syncro addiction...

Okay, first off, let's address this:
climberjohn wrote:
get a real truck (like most Texans I've met) and be done with it.

As a native Texan, who's never owned a truck, I'm officially insulted. Didn't anyone ever tell you we all ride horses down here?! Laughing

But in all seriousness, I'm starting to feel the need for a Syncro Sinka to help Wildcat feel less lonely.

motleypixel wrote:

I know. Well equipped and maintained Syncros aren't cheap that's for certain! The wife and I lurked TheSamba for about two years until we found our perfect Syncro. I won't hijack your thread, but you can check out the story of our van after we had it for about a month and were able to form some opinions. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=456298

We were just in Austin a few weeks ago, if you want to check out the van sometime when we go through town I can give you a head's up next time we come that way. Although, Wildcat's turbo diesel isn't quite the speed demon that a WRX is.
2014 Tesla Model S P85+
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the Samba!

I have a 2wd that I've taken places a 2wd pickup refused to follow; but I've been told a Syncro can move MOUNTANS! Emotionally, if not physically! Smile
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thummmper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wilkommen Royal!
when you put a japanese engine in a german vanagon, you get axis power! the turn signals say heil and the tailpipe says bonsai!
or is that "devine wind?" go for the six in a 2 wd and enjoy a normal vehicle. Its not a hotrod like everyone initially says. vanagons had a sewing machine motor to start, so the comparison is striking.
a hotrod by todays standards has a blower and a soccermom at the wheel.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thummmper wrote:
go for the six in a 2 wd and enjoy a normal vehicle. Its not a hotrod like everyone initially says.

I recently drove my buddies SVX window van. I swore the front tires were in the air when the go pedal was mashed. It *IS* a hotrod by Vanagon standards. The big issues are:
bad mileage
eats transmissions (my buddies box is making noises now.)
really needs bigger tires and bigger brakes.-

The 2.5 4 cylinder seems to match better, IMHO.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
motleypixel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I calm down...search, breath, relax, I may even end up with a small block conversion in my Volvo 940 wagon...who knows...good stuff though.

-Roy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: