Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Who Remembers The 80s CAL-STYLE
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 82, 83, 84 ... 87, 88, 89  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Stories Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwkidd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This 1959 Cal-Style ragtop (Not aspiring to be a Cal-Look VW) was built by me in 1984 then traded to my homie Rene R. "dumped" on fuchs for his 67 ghia convertible with no drivetrain, then Rene R. traded it to another homie Rick C. for an all OG Oval that I built for Rick C.. We gave it a race stance and set it up to launch wheelies & it did! after I built a 2110cc IDA motor for it. This ragtop held down Stadium Way 85-86 and never lost a race. Thats how it was back then in the VW "syndicate" Homies just traded & built VDubs for each other. (pic. taken on rear Jack stands 85-86 Huntington Park, SouthEast LA). restored original off white interior with white ragtop.
This car was known as the "Ricky Racer" Vdub in Huntington Park.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1966 141 Cabrio. L554 Cherry Red (low mileage)
Owned: All in the 80's slammed & running BRM's,Fuchs,OG Empis w/ big motors & 48IDA's LA Style!
1959 Convertible 151 L41
1955 Convertible 151 L41
1958 Convertible 151 L349
1966 KG Convertible L456
1967 KG Convertible L41
1959 117 Deluxe L451
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j8bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwkidd wrote:
This 1959 Cal-Style ragtop (Not aspiring to be a Cal-Look VW) was built by me in 1984 then traded to my homie Rene R. "dumped" on fuchs for his 67 ghia convertible with no drivetrain, then Rene R. traded it to another homie Rick C. for an all OG Oval that I built for Rick C.. We gave it a race stance and set it up to launch wheelies & it did! after I built a 2110cc IDA motor for it. This ragtop held down Stadium Way 85-86 and never lost a race. Thats how it was back then in the VW "syndicate" Homies just traded & built VDubs for each other. (pic. taken on rear Jack stands 85-86 Huntington Park, SouthEast LA). restored original off white interior with white ragtop.

80s era Blue plates, fully trimmed, accesorized, bumpered, chrome motor on some "Lloyds", even our race cars were of Vintage>"Cal-Style".. Great Pic Cool
vwkidd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

j8bug wrote:
vwkidd wrote:

80s era Blue plates, fully trimmed, accesorized, bumpered, chrome motor on some "Lloyds", even our race cars were of Vintage>"Cal-Style".. Great Pic Cool

A "Der Renn Kafer Cup" VDub that was 15-16 years too early to the party!! Who ever said that Der Renn Kafer cars were Cal-Look.....put a set of T-Bars on this 1984 Built "Cal-Style" street race VW and that's what you have all day long at todays shows.
Owned: All in the 80's slammed & running BRM's,Fuchs,OG Empis w/ big motors & 48IDA's LA Style!
1959 Convertible 151 L41
1955 Convertible 151 L41
1966 KG Convertible L456
1967 KG Convertible L41
1959 117 Deluxe L451
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j8bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwkidd wrote:
j8bug wrote:
vwkidd wrote:

A "Der Renn Kafer Cup" VDub that was 15-16 years too early to the party!! Who ever said that Der Renn Kafer cars were Cal-Look.....put a set of T-Bars on this 1984 Built "Cal-Style" street race VW and that's what you have all day long at todays shows.

back in tha day our moms used to tell us "tell me who you hang with, and Ill tell you who you are"! Our spot #23, is in our backyard just 10 minutes NW of Dodger Stadium, "Thee 1ST Exclamation All-Vintage supply house in the United States", which quite honestly means, EVERYONE else came after US in L.A. Wink

LINK: http://www.vwtrendsweb.com/features/0106vwt_people/

LINK: http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.v...=8AQGJ6-sz

j8bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwkidd wrote:
I wanted to share a PM conversation between another LA 80's kid that saw the VDub scene play out firsthand in Los Angeles during this time and someone that, although was not from LA but acknowledged the factual history & origins of the LA Vintage "Cal-Style". , that it was NEVER!! an offshoot of the dechromed Cal-Look VW's coming out of Orange County during the early years of the late 1970's-1984.

Bob D.
"This is an old thread, but maybe you want to start it up again and explain the "cal-style" origin..".

http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=502661

Cal Look vs Resto Cal - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales
www.volkszone.com
Cal Look vs Resto Cal Chat/Discussion
September 7

"VW Kidd"
"I'll check it out. You know it will get stirred up when we let them know that there so called "resto-cal" has Low rider origins & started way before that term even existed".

Bob D.
"Oh I know you will stir the pot"!

JR Wiley
"I was about to say the same thing Kidd said! ... I had an extremely knowledgeable Vdubber from the UK clarify that thee absolute earliest the style and term "Resto-Cal" hit the scene out in the Uk was 1987. By 1987 Mini-Truckin was already in full swing and Vdubs on there way out in L.A..... The other term, "Resto-Custom", I also have 1987 as being the earliest Ive seen it used here in the states, and I saw that in a HOT VWs mag.... L.A. (not Orange County or anywhere else) had been predominantly Lowriders thru the 70s and early 80s then predominantly Vdubs from the late 70s till many jumped ship in big numbers to Mini-Trucking around 87 with a little bit of overlap in between the changing of the guards. 1987 was also an interesting year in the L.A. street scene because the Samurai, the GSXR, Daytons, IROCs, Lifted Toyota Trucks, 5.0s and many, many, other cool things on wheels were really starting to create diversity like never before and by the early 90s it was anyones guess what the predominant street style was UNTIL the Hondas and Acuras and all the asians kids behind the wheels came busting thru. In My Opinion, the only reason why we are still around today enjoying these vdubs on a scale this big in SoCal is because of the 90s kids that saw us out there pimping the streets in shiny Cal-Style Vdubs when they were 9 and 10 yr olds and despite the fact that they were by far the overwhelming minority in the street scene during their era, they stayed with it! I was burned out on Vdubs from an entire decade of monkeying on them thru the 80s and did not even want to touch them. I found my release not in Minitrucks or Hondas but with Porsches and Pro Street Chevys. SoCal car culture especially from LA county is so F'n rich in history. You talk to the 50s hotrodders and they will tell you some wild stories of tearing up the streets of believe it or not, Inglewood and Compton. I would sit there and listen to those guys and be like, yeah, that sounds so much like the 80s. Now these are just a few of my personal observations and experiences and Im sure others versions of SoCal Car culture may be a bit different but I don't expect them to be WAY different BTW, its not about stirring the pot its about correcting history, IMO".

VW Kidd
"Jimmy, that's it in a nutshell! I think I'm going to copy & paste it on the Samba or The Cal-Style Newsletter.
That thread look like a lot of read. I will read it then throw my hat in".

JR Wiley
"That's fine. We all lived it. And we had some fun, Que No"!

Bob D
"I TOTALLY AGREE WITH THIS... In My Opinion, the only reason why we are still around today enjoying these vdubs on a scale this big in SoCal is because of the 90s kids that saw us out there pimping the streets in shiny Cal-Style Vdubs when they were 9 and 10 yr olds
AND THIS TOO... its not about stirring the pot its about correcting history"

Bob D.
"BTW... On this coast, the term "resto-custom" was used for the hod rod/american classic type cars. The term we used in the late 80s/early 90s for the "cal style" was "cal-customs" then shortly after some us were using it, I guess magazines(to their fault i guess) started using "resto-custom" and the "cal-custom" term was dropped from the VW vocabulary on the east coast(or at least in my part of the east coast)".

JR Wiley
"Ive talked to a lot of 90s kids and they reference the Vdub generation before them as automotive inspiration, You talk to my 80s generation and we will reference as inspiration Klique, Imperials, Dukes, LifeStyle, Groupe, East LA, Whittier Blvd, Lowrider Magazine etc etc BUT Lowriding came with a stigma and a rep associated with trouble and gangbanging and instead we found a whole new way of life and that was hi-energy Disco and Cal-Style Vdubs. I personally hadn't heard of the VWs terms Resto Cal and Resto-Custom till sometime in the 90s AND in talking with 90s guys from the L.A. area they have always hated those terms especially "Resto Cal"."

I still marvel at 90s vdub kids, serio pedo! For me, If not for the few cool bugs I saw on the streets in the 90s that brought back memories and flashbacks, the ones that got into magz, the cars of the German folks vdub club and who knows if I would have even been inspired enough to get back into vdubs... I could identify with their looks all day long but I was definetely dumbfounded when I started reading in HotVWs that it was an all new look that started in OC in the 90s. A Callooker friend of mine even recently told me that back in the late 70s/early 80s, some in OC would not even acknowledge the new Vintage styled cars coming out of LA and were actually referring to them as "East LA beaner bugs". So it is kinda odd they have embraced our Vintage Cal-Style vdubs but not the roots of #23:

http://www.vwtrendsweb.com/features/0106vwt_people/

vwkidd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

j8bug wrote:
vwkidd wrote:
I wanted to share a PM conversation between another LA 80's kid that saw the VDub scene play out firsthand in Los Angeles during this time and someone that, although was not from LA but acknowledged the factual history & origins of the LA Vintage "Cal-Style". , that it was NEVER!! an offshoot of the dechromed Cal-Look VW's coming out of Orange County during the early years of the late 1970's-1984.

Bob D.
"This is an old thread, but maybe you want to start it up again and explain the "cal-style" origin..".

www.volkszone.com
September 7

"VW Kidd"
"I'll check it out. You know it will get stirred up when we let them know that there so called "resto-cal" has Low rider origins & started way before that term even existed".

Bob D.

JR Wiley
"I was about to say the same thing Kidd said! ... I had an extremely knowledgeable Vdubber from the UK clarify that thee absolute earliest the style and term "Resto-Cal" hit the scene out in the Uk was 1987. By 1987 Mini-Truckin was already in full swing and Vdubs on there way out in L.A..... The other term, "Resto-Custom", I also have 1987 as being the earliest Ive seen it used here in the states, and I saw that in a HOT VWs mag.... L.A. (not Orange County or anywhere else) had been predominantly Lowriders thru the 70s and early 80s then predominantly Vdubs from the late 70s till many jumped ship in big numbers to Mini-Trucking around 87 with a little bit of overlap in between the changing of the guards. 1987 was also an interesting year in the L.A. street scene because the Samurai, the GSXR, Daytons, IROCs, Lifted Toyota Trucks, 5.0s and many, many, other cool things on wheels were really starting to create diversity like never before and by the early 90s it was anyones guess what the predominant street style was UNTIL the Hondas and Acuras and all the asians kids behind the wheels came busting thru. In My Opinion, the only reason why we are still around today enjoying these vdubs on a scale this big in SoCal is because of the 90s kids that saw us out there pimping the streets in shiny Cal-Style Vdubs when they were 9 and 10 yr olds and despite the fact that they were by far the overwhelming minority in the street scene during their era, they stayed with it! I was burned out on Vdubs from an entire decade of monkeying on them thru the 80s and did not even want to touch them. I found my release not in Minitrucks or Hondas but with Porsches and Pro Street Chevys. SoCal car culture especially from LA county is so F'n rich in history. You talk to the 50s hotrodders and they will tell you some wild stories of tearing up the streets of believe it or not, Inglewood and Compton. I would sit there and listen to those guys and be like, yeah, that sounds so much like the 80s. Now these are just a few of my personal observations and experiences and Im sure others versions of SoCal Car culture may be a bit different but I don't expect them to be WAY different BTW, its not about stirring the pot its about correcting history, IMO".

VW Kidd
"Jimmy, that's it in a nutshell! I think I'm going to copy & paste it on the Samba or The Cal-Style Newsletter.

JR Wiley

Bob D
"I TOTALLY AGREE WITH THIS... In My Opinion, the only reason why we are still around today enjoying these vdubs on a scale this big in SoCal is because of the 90s kids that saw us out there pimping the streets in shiny Cal-Style Vdubs when they were 9 and 10 yr olds

Bob D.
"BTW... On this coast, the term "resto-custom" was used for the hod rod/american classic type cars. The term we used in the late 80s/early 90s for the "cal style" was "cal-customs" then shortly after some us were using it, I guess magazines(to their fault i guess) started using "resto-custom" and the "cal-custom" term was dropped from the VW vocabulary on the east coast(or at least in my part of the east coast)".

JR Wiley
"Ive talked to a lot of 90s kids and they reference the Vdub generation before them as automotive inspiration, You talk to my 80s generation and we will reference as inspiration Klique, Imperials, Dukes, LifeStyle, Groupe, East LA, Whittier Blvd, Lowrider Magazine etc etc BUT Lowriding came with a stigma and a rep associated with trouble and gangbanging and instead we found a whole new way of life and that was hi-energy Disco and Cal-Style Vdubs. I personally hadn't heard of the VWs terms Resto Cal and Resto-Custom till sometime in the 90s AND in talking with 90s guys from the L.A. area they have always hated those terms especially "Resto Cal"."

I still marvel at 90s vdub kids, serio pedo! For me, If not for the few cool bugs I saw on the streets in the 90s that brought back memories and flashbacks, the ones that got into magz, the cars of the German folks vdub club and who knows if I would have even been inspired enough to get back into vdubs... I could identify with their looks all day long but I was definetely dumbfounded when I started reading in HotVWs that it was an all new look that started in OC in the 90s. A Callooker friend of mine even recently told me that back in the late 70s/early 80s, some in OC would not even acknowledge the new Vintage styled cars coming out of LA and were actually referring to them as "East LA beaner bugs". So it is kinda odd they have embraced our Vintage Cal-Style vdubs but not the roots of #23:

I was fortunate to be able to experience both sides back then. The East LA Vdub scene and the OC Cal-Look scene and yes it's true J8Bug I have overheard more than once back then when I would roll up to places like "Scooters" in Fullerton or SCS Small Car Specialties to buy some race parts for my "Cal-Style" builds in whatever "slammed" all OG Vintage Cal-Style VW I would happen to be driving at the time the term "beaner bug". But you know I never really took it personal or was offended by it because I learned early on that when ever you go against the grain or the "norm" there will always be someone that doesn't like change. To be fair I also had white friends that referred to my VDubs as "beaner bugs" but in a friendly terms of endearment kind of way.
1959 Convertible 151 L41
1955 Convertible 151 L41
1966 KG Convertible L456
1967 KG Convertible L41
1959 117 Deluxe L451
vwkidd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

j8bug wrote:
vwkidd wrote:

Bob D.

www.volkszone.com
September 7

"VW Kidd"

Bob D.

JR Wiley

VW Kidd

JR Wiley

Bob D

Bob D.

JR Wiley

I was fortunate to be able to experience both sides back then. The East LA Vdub scene and the OC Cal-Look scene and yes it's true J8Bug I have overheard more than once back then when I would roll up to places like "Scooters" in Fullerton or SCS Small Car Specialties to buy some race parts for my "Cal-Style" builds in whatever "slammed" all OG Vintage Cal-Style VW I would happen to be driving at the time the term "beaner bug". But you know I never really took it personal or was offended by it because I learned early on that when ever you go against the grain or the "norm" there will always be someone that doesn't like change. To be fair I also had white friends that referred to my VDubs as "beaner bugs" but in a friendly terms of endearment kind of way.
1959 Convertible 151 L41
1955 Convertible 151 L41
1966 KG Convertible L456
1967 KG Convertible L41
1959 117 Deluxe L451
j8bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found some really cool old pics of the generation prior to ours. Ill start with this one from my alma mater Huntington Park High (class of 74). Lowriders were it. I personally never dug the lowrider bugs though Sick
j8bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

j8bug wrote:
I found some really cool old pics of the generation prior to ours. Ill start with this one from my alma mater Huntington Park High (class of 74). Lowriders were it. I personally never dug the lowrider bugs though Sick

From a friends FB page. 1978 in La Puente...
j8bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I was hanging with a friend in Az and I was really digging the oldskool stance on one of his friends ride. We got to talking about stances and he couldn't remember anything other than "raked" stances back in tha day in Phoenix where he was Vdubbing in the mid-80s. I told him it was a norm for Vdubs to be slammed where I'm from. Here you go Mike G, a handfull from the L.A. archives:

mikegamblin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of the look that people in Phoenix were borrowing style from in the 80's was what they gathered from VW Trends, Hot VW's and the Phoenix Bugorama. The Phoenix Bugorama was its own entity here in the 80's & not the corporation that now owns rights to Sacramento Bugorama, Las Vegas Bugorama, Phoenix Bugorama and the Classic. We would get a lot of cars at that show from all the neighboring states but they were restored cars, bajas, race cars and "paint job" cars - scallops, flames, wild neon colors, two-tone paint, one piece windows and hawaiian window rubber. I think that the reason we didn't see a lot of the true "Cal Style" around here was because that look was local to you guys back then. Like you said, I saw A BUNCH of cars with the front end dropped and the back, stock height.
j8bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikegamblin wrote:
A lot of the look that people in Phoenix were borrowing style from in the 80's was what they gathered from VW Trends, Hot VW's and the Phoenix Bugorama. The Phoenix Bugorama was its own entity here in the 80's & not the corporation that now owns rights to Sacramento Bugorama, Las Vegas Bugorama, Phoenix Bugorama and the Classic. We would get a lot of cars at that show from all the neighboring states but they were restored cars, bajas, race cars and "paint job" cars - scallops, flames, wild neon colors, two-tone paint, one piece windows and hawaiian window rubber. I think that the reason we didn't see a lot of the true "Cal Style" around here was because that look was local to you guys back then. Like you said, I saw A BUNCH of cars with the front end dropped and the back, stock height.

That pretty much sums up what we've been hearing from all around the world as well. Now, with access to free media we can finally afford to tell our story of the LA/SGV scene and clear up some of the confusion:

Style made possible by #23: http://www.vwtrendsweb.com/features/0106vwt_people/

Everyone else came after US in L.A. Wink

vwkidd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

j8bug wrote:
mikegamblin wrote:

That pretty much sums up what we've been hearing from all around the world as well. Now, with access to free media we can finally afford to tell our story of the LA/SGV scene and clear up some of the confusion:

Style made possible by #23: http://www.vwtrendsweb.com/features/0106vwt_people/

Like I have always said the Major VW media magazines in the 1980's were not based in or coming to our latino LA inner city neighborhoods and therefore our Vintage "Cal-Style" was not known to the masses until the 90's as the "Cal-Style" spread via car shows and Pomona swap meets.......And to think before us LA 80's guys came back to the hobby and set the record straight with actual pictures, and testimony from the pioneer years in Los Angeles everyone was convinced that our L.A. "Cal-Style" was an offshoot of the dechromed race inspired OC Cal-look or that it originated in Ontario around 1993, really that last one still gets me worked up because I was there from day one when Rene Ruelas put "blinged" out early 6" 901 Fuch alloys & a 2.0 liter IDA motor in his "slammed" to the floor all original with chrome 67 ghia vert in 1980 !!
1959 Convertible 151 L41
1955 Convertible 151 L41
1966 KG Convertible L456
1967 KG Convertible L41
1959 117 Deluxe L451
j8bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to reach HotVws early on and got no response. So we took our story to the masses (Facebook) and of course here on the Samba. The Samba and its sambanistas can be very critical but with almost 200,000 views it was well worth it. As sambanistas will tell you, "Pics or it didn't happen"!

Don't shave the chrome, save the chrome! :

Al Rato!............
Everyone else came after us in L.A: #23- http://www.vwtrendsweb.com/features/0106vwt_people/

Frank Ochoa said; "I still have my convertible bug from high school. Now that Gramps is out Im going to make some changes but Im still going to keep it Cal-Style, you know, all original but lowered with some alloys"

Fred one of the original members of The Bus Boyz said; "We were the first to ever Cal-Style a Bus.. No one was doing it back then".

Last edited by j8bug on Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:52 am; edited 1 time in total
vwkidd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

j8bug wrote:
I tried to reach HotVws early on and got no response. So we took our story to the masses (Facebook) and of course here on the Samba. The Samba and its sambanistas can be very critical but with almost 200k views it was well worth it. As sambanistas will tell you, "Pics or it didn't happen"!

Don't shave the chrome, save the chrome! :

started cause of #23: http://www.vwtrendsweb.com/features/0106vwt_people/

Al Rato!............

Nice! History pictorial of our L.A. "Cal-Style" origins. And all these cars are prior to 1986 except for maybe one or two but still in the late 80's...........Again way before the media outsider term given to our cars like"Resto-Cal" "Resto Custom" or whatever.

When the rest of the VDub world was building paint job New Wave Customs, German road race Lookers & Dechromed "Cal-Look Vdubs in the 1980's we in Latino Los Angeles were building a VW style that is duplicated the world over today!

And you all know what they say "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" !! ............"CAL-STYLE" !!!

1959 Convertible 151 L41
1955 Convertible 151 L41
1966 KG Convertible L456
1967 KG Convertible L41
1959 117 Deluxe L451
j8bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

j8bug wrote:
I cut & paste this post & response from another significant 80s thread on TheSamba to share here. Although double in size than this thread and with over 370 thousand views and huuuge participation, the guy that makes that thread tick is the one that blows me away with his knowledge of the Volkswagen World kinda like VwKidd does on this thread as our resident historian...

from: show us your 80's/90's Customs! http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1...highlight=

j8bug - Steven Diaz out of Highland Park, a suburb just N/E of Los Angeles. LA/SGV latino cars were far from being custom and even considered borderline boring by the Vdub world at the time but times have a changed considering most of the Vdubs around the world today follow these basic styling cues that we were so madly in love with in L.A. thruout the 80s.

1986 Cal-Style

SKIM - I think you are right. The one guy that got me into VW's from was from the AVENUES area of NE / Los. Yogi from Avenues 43rd to be exact. He moved up to the high desert (Victorville) back in 1986 with a 58' european rag, 1835 dual webers, fully polished alloys, his car had it all, semaphores, early pop outs, locking shifter, bamboo parcel tray, the list went on.

He told me, in LA we dont build our cars like they do in O.C. We build them like the veteranos build their "bombs" - all OG style but lowered with rims.
He knew guys like Jaime from Vintage Parts / Bob Costas, KDF, guys like Rude Rudy that had the peach 54 with damn near every accessory on one car etc. Accessories were a big deal in L.A.

At that time in O.C. it was wink mirrors, louvered hoods and baby turbos. About the only thing that was the same was Porsche alloys - of course even today, everybody loves a set of alloys lol.

My buddy always said back then, "Save the chrome, dont shave the chrome" I always thought that was funny but truth be told, the VW magazines were not featuring these cars because they lacked all the bright flashy colors and "up and over the roof" graphics. Those cars didnt sell the type of parts that were being sold by the majority of their advertisers - Those ads by Jerry's Vdub Heaven, Car Custom, V Dub Parts Unlimited sold aftermarket stuff. The flashy Cal Look stuff. Sure there were plenty of chrome louvered running boards and one piece window kits offered by those places. Look at any old Hot VW's or VW Trends and check out the old ads, thats all you saw.

Whats known as Resto Custom now was definitely started in Los Angeles in the early to mid 1980's.

I was re-reading this thread and there is so much history and quotes and then there is MONEY ^ !
vwkidd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

j8bug wrote:
j8bug wrote:
I cut & paste this post & response from another significant 80s thread on TheSamba to share here. Although double in size than this thread and with over 370 thousand views and huuuge participation, the guy that makes that thread tick is the one that blows me away with his knowledge of the Volkswagen World kinda like VwKidd does on this thread as our resident historian...

from: show us your 80's/90's Customs! http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1...highlight=

j8bug - Steven Diaz out of Highland Park, a suburb just N/E of Los Angeles. LA/SGV latino cars were far from being custom and even considered borderline boring by the Vdub world at the time but times have a changed considering most of the Vdubs around the world today follow these basic styling cues that we were so madly in love with in L.A. thruout the 80s.

1986 Cal-Style

SKIM - I think you are right. The one guy that got me into VW's from was from the AVENUES area of NE / Los. Yogi from Avenues 43rd to be exact. He moved up to the high desert (Victorville) back in 1986 with a 58' european rag, 1835 dual webers, fully polished alloys, his car had it all, semaphores, early pop outs, locking shifter, bamboo parcel tray, the list went on.

He told me, in LA we dont build our cars like they do in O.C. We build them like the veteranos build their "bombs" - all OG style but lowered with rims.
He knew guys like Jaime from Vintage Parts / Bob Costas, KDF, guys like Rude Rudy that had the peach 54 with damn near every accessory on one car etc. Accessories were a big deal in L.A.

At that time in O.C. it was wink mirrors, louvered hoods and baby turbos. About the only thing that was the same was Porsche alloys - of course even today, everybody loves a set of alloys lol.

My buddy always said back then, "Save the chrome, dont shave the chrome" I always thought that was funny but truth be told, the VW magazines were not featuring these cars because they lacked all the bright flashy colors and "up and over the roof" graphics. Those cars didnt sell the type of parts that were being sold by the majority of their advertisers - Those ads by Jerry's Vdub Heaven, Car Custom, V Dub Parts Unlimited sold aftermarket stuff. The flashy Cal Look stuff. Sure there were plenty of chrome louvered running boards and one piece window kits offered by those places. Look at any old Hot VW's or VW Trends and check out the old ads, thats all you saw.

Whats known as Resto Custom now was definitely started in Los Angeles in the early to mid 1980's.

I was re-reading this thread and there is so much history and quotes and then there is MONEY ^ !

Like I have always said all along since I got back into my first automotive love around 3 years ago that our LA "Cal-Style" VW's were very different when my Homie Rene Ruelas of the Iconic lowrider "Dukes" family decided to combine an all original convertible ghia with chrome and a 2.0 liter IDA motor and "dump" it all around on polished like chrome 901 early 6" Fuch Porsche Alloys in 1980 !! That was the beginning of a style that would influence a whole generation of latino teens coming of age in our LA neighborhoods throughout the 1980's.

This is why I took it very personal when I got back into VW's and heard people that didn't have their facts straight or were not at the age to be there tell me that our LA 'Cal-Style" originated in the 1990's and was an offshoot of the OC Dechromed Cal-Look or was originated in 1993 by one guy in Ontario. The facts and pictures speak a thousand words (and there will be more, as more LA 80's kids come back to the hobby). I was there firsthand with the small group of guys and clubs like the "Bugs Buddies" and the "Vintage Volksters" innovating our LA "Cal-Style"in the period of 1980-1984. The work of archiving and documenting the LA 80's "Cal-Style" history and origins has now cleared up the confusion and misinformation whether intentional or not that was out there in the VW world before guys like J8Bug, myself and other LA 80's kids came back to this hobby we all love.
1959 Convertible 151 L41
1955 Convertible 151 L41
1966 KG Convertible L456
1967 KG Convertible L41
1959 117 Deluxe L451

Last edited by vwkidd on Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:35 am; edited 2 times in total
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a great thread, alot of early info being passed on . I myself got in to the VW hobby in maybe 79 or 80 when I was already almost 30 years old then and I lived in Northern Calif.(San Jose area). Anyway I started with a 66 that became a Hot VWs clone, T-bars, one piecewindows, no side chrome, lowered (pulled leaves in the front) as there really werent many "Cal-Look" bugs in to area at this time that I knew about. so I was on my own learning curve. As I learned more and started to go to VW shows in my area and So-Cal my taste changed and I tried to go for more of a look that is represented in this thread. Next up was a 60 RagTop that I tried to do right, lowered with an adjustable beam, no chrome removed basically stock lowered with a larger engine.I dont have any pictures of the 66 but I will dig up some of the 60 and post up. Thanks for the memories Very Happy
j8bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool story Bill! We've had about a 90% positive reaction as a whole for the history we have shared out of L.A. and of course their will always be a small backlash from a few groups and individuals. But shocking enough, we've made friends with some early cats from the other side of the tracks that actually confirmed that YES, they were reffering to the style that was coming out of LA in the late-70/early-80s as "East LA Beaner Bugs" (which btw, we don't find offensive). We knew we were different because of all-around culture. For the most part, they would take a Chevy and Hotrod it and our ancesters would take a Chevy and Lowride it. They took a Vdub and Cal Looked it and we took a Vdub and Cal-Styled it. There is nothing wrong with that, IMO..... I photocopied and pasted for those that can't access the link why our scene took on a different identity early on. The "Who's Who of Volkswagen" #23 was thee spot in LA and its hard to find someone from about class of 78-84 that didn't make a stop in there for goodies at some point or another. I personally LOVE all the history and stories those guys have been able to share with us but then again I love automotive history like a mofo especially if its coming from Day-1 fellas.

Actuall link-http: http://www.vwtrendsweb.com/features/0106vwt_people/

Last edited by j8bug on Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:57 pm; edited 3 times in total
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryan Price must have written that description of Rich Kimball as one of the "first and longest" VW event promoters... it sounds like he's describing the man's cock size. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Stories All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 82, 83, 84 ... 87, 88, 89  Next
Jump to:
Page 83 of 89

Jump to: