Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Who Remembers The 80s CAL-STYLE
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 87, 88, 89  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Stories Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
j8bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwkidd wrote:
j8bug wrote:
vwkidd wrote:
j8bug wrote:
twinwindows wrote:
And I thought I was the only one on Samba in these modern times who still reminiscence those days.. This is one of those Vochos that was rolling around back then that I have now and will once again roll the same streets blasting that Old school house party mix.
In East L.A. Circa 1986
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
VERY, VERY NICE!!! Cant wait to see the resurrection!!! Those years were like nothing else, our buckets, our childhood friends, parties, girls, street football and Tommys on Rampart ...

Man! The Original Tommys on Rampart & Beverly....That's when I could eat 2 double chili burgers at 3AM after partying and cruising all night and not feel it the next day...
Hey kidd, would you happen to have any photos of Tommys from those days???

@ J8Bug....I had a lot of pics & Albums of that era, but one of my "ChaCha" girlfriends at that time from El Rancho H.S. kept them & wouldn't give them back.....Man!! We lost contact over the years, I got married/family......Man!!! I wish I had those pics back & I hope she still has them. The ones in my album are the only ones that I have left.
That sucks!!! Maybe with facebook or some form of social media you might be able to track her down. Ive never been much of a picture taker to begin with, so I have very few pics if any at all. The only time I ever whipped out moms Kodak was because I either wrecked my shit or it was at the bodyshop.
Cal Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:35 pm    Post subject: 68 Cal Bug Reply with quote

Im just swiming in heaven reading all these 80's stories and pictures. I got out of high school in 82, traded my motorcycle for a 57 Chevy 396. Took a junked 69 Charger and restored it. Then the Charger got totaled, a guy offered me cash for the 57 and I was car-less.

I grew up in Huntington Beach California and went to Huntington Beach high. While in auto shop, I helped a friend rebuild his 1500 single port, that got me hooked on bugs. The Cal Look style was raging and through a friend of a friend, I met this guy who took his 68 bug and used it as his class project to graduate auto body school. His father bought him a new car to go to college in, so he sold me the bug for 800.

It was completely de-chromed, Rossi turn signals, black out rubber, baby turbo mirrors, single piece glass, and an adjustable front end. Oh yeah, it was painted Porsche India Red.

The engine was a stock 1600 single port, which I swapped out for dual ports, 09, Dual baby Weber 36's, and a stinger.

I drove that car for years in the 80's, cruised Angelo's in Anahiem, Long Beach, Hollywood, Whittier, the works.

My neighbor bought a new Firebird and installed a double 15 sound box in his trunk. A month later I cobbled together a sound system for my bug of the same design.

I feel so lucky to grow up in HB, drive a slammed Cal Bug, and enjoy the scene.
j8bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just remember guys, this is not a cal-look thread.
j8bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A guy PMd me asking why its not a cal look thread. This thread is about an entirely different scene. This thread is about what took place in the streets of L.A, ELA and some of SGV and it revolved around the L.A. party scene of the 80s. It would be disrespectful to call it a cal-look thread and im sure the cal-look police wouldnt appreciate it especially since our cars were different. Thats not to say there werent any calloookers in L.A. because there were. Im not going to claim to have been in the middle of the V-DUb scene either because i wasnt. I was in the middle of the L.A. party scene of the 80s and we drove v-dubs, lots and lots of v-dubs. Playing american legion ball and city ball in the mid-80s it was also obvious to me that the the V-dubs from the south bay, lakewood, long beach, orange county, la mirada etc were different then what you would see around the L.A. city schools. i started this thread because everytime I read magazine stories of the 70s cal-look , the friends, the schools I reminisced about our scene, our bugs, our friends our schools and of course our spots. Our scene never got documented. I dont even think we thought much of our scene, we just knew it was fun and it was nothing more than everyday life. No one was coming into latino neighborhoods to document a bunch of teenagers in bugs chasing the happening spots. That was reserved for the lowrider culture. They made movies and plays of that stuff. The terms resto-custom, cal-resto, resto this, resto that didnt exist back then. I went to 3 different high schools in the L.A. area and the term most frequently used was Cal-Style. Every neighborhood had its own players, a slightly different lingo but by nightfall it seemed like our entire generation converged onto what seemed to be the same spots and stay out till 3 or 4 in the morning. It seems unreal and probably wouldnt fly today. I re-read this thread and realized only 5 other people actually lived this experience, EA57RHD, ALLWAGONS, VWKIDD, TWIN WINDOWS, FUELRAGS. Where is everybody???
vwkidd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

j8bug wrote:
A guy PMd me asking why its not a cal look thread. This thread is about an entirely different scene. This thread is about what took place in the streets of L.A, ELA and some of SGV and it revolved around the L.A. party scene of the 80s. It would be disrespectful to call it a cal-look thread and im sure the cal-look police wouldnt appreciate it especially since our cars were different. Thats not to say there werent any calloookers in L.A. because there were. Im not going to claim to have been in the middle of the V-DUb scene either because i wasnt. I was in the middle of the L.A. party scene of the 80s and we drove v-dubs, lots and lots of v-dubs. Playing american legion ball and city ball in the mid-80s it was also obvious to me that the the V-dubs from the south bay, lakewood, long beach, orange county, la mirada etc were different then what you would see around the L.A. city schools. i started this thread because everytime I read magazine stories of the 70s cal-look , the friends, the schools I reminisced about our scene, our bugs, our friends our schools and of course our spots. Our scene never got documented. I dont even think we thought much of our scene, we just knew it was fun and it was nothing more than everyday life. No one was coming into latino neighborhoods to document a bunch of teenagers in bugs chasing the happening spots. That was reserved for the lowrider culture. They made movies and plays of that stuff. The terms resto-custom, cal-resto, resto this, resto that didnt exist back then. I went to 3 different high schools in the L.A. area and the term most frequently used was Cal-Style. Every neighborhood had its own players, a slightly different lingo but by nightfall it seemed like our entire generation converged onto what seemed to be the same spots and stay out till 3 or 4 in the morning. It seems unreal and probably wouldnt fly today. I re-read this thread and realized only 5 other people actually lived this experience, EA57RHD, ALLWAGONS, VWKIDD, TWIN WINDOWS, FUELRAGS. Where is everybody???

J8bug..... I guess if they never hung out on Flat Top, cruised Elysian Park, danced at DQ's or the Center in Puente and bought their OG parts from Vintage Vokswagen Parts from Jaime when it was still on San Fernando rd. in Glendale then they wouldn't understand.........But I hear what your saying brutha!!
1966 141 Cabrio. L554 Cherry Red (low mileage)
Owned: All in the 80's slammed & running BRM's,Fuchs,OG Empis w/ big motors & 48IDA's LA Style!
1959 Convertible 151 L41
1955 Convertible 151 L41
1958 Convertible 151 L349
1966 KG Convertible L456
1967 KG Convertible L41
1959 117 Deluxe L451
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j8bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwkidd wrote:
j8bug wrote:

J8bug..... I guess if they never hung out on Flat Top, cruised Elysian Park, danced at DQ's or the Center in Puente and bought their OG parts from Vintage Vokswagen Parts from Jaime when it was still on San Fernando rd. in Glendale then they wouldn't understand.........But I hear what your saying brutha!!
I remember that place on San fernando rd. right on the border of Burbank. I still have some OG parts on my bug from that place. Time flies but those good parts last forever. Check this out, I was dumping and shredding documents a couple of weeks ago and i ran into a reciept from this old man that used to sell from a stash of old volkswagen parts out of his house just n/o riverside drive behind dodger stadium. So instead of just dumping the whole stack of old papers in the trash like I normally do I started digging thru the stack of old love letters and reciepts and i found a picture of a 52 bug I had in 85. I was blown away. The only reason i took those pictures was cause i was replacing the wrecked clips and I was perplexed that it didnt have a split dash. I dug around for days looking for welds and cuts and nothing. It looked like a pretty damn good job. About 15 years ago I learned about this one word: Zwitter... So you never know, you might one day find some pics of Tommys without even trying. Ps. Kidd, Did you ever get chased by or hear of devil worshipers late, late at night in Elysian Park?

Last edited by j8bug on Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
Cal Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still got Hot VW's and VW Trends magazines from the 80's, I also had mini trucks, and hot rods. I used to take my bug around Mulholland and all over. You used to park on the street and hang out and look at everyones rides. Back then bugs were like snow flakes, not one was the same. I went to every Bug In in the 80's, It was a great time.
j8bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cal Bug wrote:
I still got Hot VW's and VW Trends magazines from the 80's, I also had mini trucks, and hot rods. I used to take my bug around Mulholland and all over. You used to park on the street and hang out and look at everyones rides. Back then bugs were like snow flakes, not one was the same. I went to every Bug In in the 80's, It was a great time.
Nice,,, I have to admit I missed out on the mulholland experience. But the bigger party was definetly out on the streets. The clubs were always jam-packed to capacity in those days that the bigger party definetely spilled out into the parking lots and streets. We used to kick back and watch Vdubs gun-out all-night long and we would sit their and be able call out who was running dellortos, webers, kadrons, s&s, t-birds. Good times for sure.
j8bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Found a friends VW pic early 80's ELA Club "LiL Man Reply with quote

vwkidd wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Yo Kidd, their was so, so many sweet rides back then but I remember this one vividly. Correct me if im wrong though because i was all over the place. Streets of boyle heights?
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome bugs that come to mind, Baboom, Ragberry and Rag King. I really liked those bugs back in the day. Even though I am a hardcore type 3 guy. I remember cruising on my beater sunroof square to Tropicana's on Soto and Huntington drive, parking at the dip on Rosemead North of Garvey next to Bahooka's. Crusing by Mr. J's. Buying parts from Vintage VW on San Fernando Road and Bob Costa when he was in Glendale. Remember when Car Custom had that huge lot next door and you could buy pretty much any VW (bus, bug , ghia or type 3) you wanted for cheap? There was a VW club in El Sereno called The Fanatics, mostly original, dropped and primered bugs.

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j8bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ill pose a question to you guys with awesome recollection. I saw Suicide Solution pop about a 5ft wheelie right in front of my very eyes, not from a dead stop but cruising at about 15mph probably in 2nd gear. Legend had it he was running some sort of Porsche engine because all of a sudden a bunch of fools were trying to stuff porsche engines in their bugs to be like him. I also saw him racing a Suzuki GS1150ES (A very fast motorcyle before GSXRs) on Stadium Way on the straight-away behind home plate by the Navy/Marine base. What in the world was he running???
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally attended Wilson High school. But had friends all over. Lincoln, Franklin, Garfield, Roosevelt and who can forget the chicks at Mission and Sacred Heart. Oh the Montebello chicks, Hottest sucias in town! I recall in 1985 a couple of guys died racing their VW's on that bridge over where Mission becomes Huntington Drive. That same bridge was used in the movie Christine.

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j8bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALLWAGONS wrote:
I personally attended Wilson High school. But had friends all over. Lincoln, Franklin, Garfield, Roosevelt and who can forget the chicks at Mission and Sacred Heart. Oh the Montebello chicks, Hottest sucias in town! I recall in 1985 a couple of guys died racing their VW's on that bridge over where Mission becomes Huntington Drive. That same bridge was used in the movie Christine.

Last edited by j8bug on Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
vwkidd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Found a friends VW pic early 80's ELA Club "LiL Man Reply with quote

"Yo Kidd, their was so, so many sweet rides back then but I remember this one vividly. Correct me if im wrong though because i was all over the place. Streets of boyle heights?"

J8bug Yup this bug was all over ELA Boyle Heights, Huntington Park. It was a friends from a club back then the Lil Maniacs. Man!! you mentioned in an earlier post about the old Man that sold VW parts behind Dodger Stadium......I had forgot about the Old man that lived in Frog Town before Atwater that had all kinds of Old VW's and parts. I'm going to cruise over there and see if I can remember where he was.
Owned: All in the 80's slammed & running BRM's,Fuchs,OG Empis w/ big motors & 48IDA's LA Style!
1959 Convertible 151 L41
1955 Convertible 151 L41
1966 KG Convertible L456
1967 KG Convertible L41
1959 117 Deluxe L451
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwkidd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J8bug you mentioned the St Matthias girls.....I had a girl from every class from 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985 went to 82, 83, 84's prom. Bro if you went to HP what year were you their.

As far as your question about seeing suicide solution popping second gear wheelies. Most likely he was running a VW type1 motor, was probably a stroker motor like a 2180cc 82mm crank w/92mm Pistons or better yet a 2110cc 82mm crank w/90.5 Pistons and some welded ported heads with IDA's . Back then stroker motors were rare in our neighborhoods because they cost a lot more to build than an 1835cc stock stroke 69mm with 92mm pistons. A big stroker motor with type2 rear rubber snubbers and 90/10 front shocks or drilled front shocks from a chevy luv (no fluid) and strapped control arms you could get the revs up in second and double throttle and lift the front end. I used to do at all the time with my street race VW's At that time I think the only ones that could consistently pops wheelies were Lil Dreamer, Suicide Solution, and myself. I know Ray Lil Dreamer ran a big motor, and I think he built Suicide Solutions motor too. I used to run with wheelie bars to trip people out at Stadium way.
1959 Convertible 151 L41
1955 Convertible 151 L41
1966 KG Convertible L456
1967 KG Convertible L41
1959 117 Deluxe L451
j8bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Found a friends VW pic early 80's ELA Club "LiL Man Reply with quote

vwkidd wrote:
"Yo Kidd, their was so, so many sweet rides back then but I remember this one vividly. Correct me if im wrong though because i was all over the place. Streets of boyle heights?"

J8bug Yup this bug was all over ELA Boyle Heights, Huntington Park. It was a friends from a club back then the Lil Maniacs. Man!! you mentioned in an earlier post about the old Man that sold VW parts behind Dodger Stadium......I had forgot about the Old man that lived in Frog Town before Atwater that had all kinds of Old VW's and parts. I'm going to cruise over there and see if I can remember where he was.
This thread has made me remember so much stuff that i would have never thought about otherwise in a million years. I just remembered "sebolla". She was this homeless japanese lady that lived on a front porch of an abondoned house a few blocks north of roosevelt high. we used to take youngsters up their in the middle of the night that had no clue and have them walk up the front porch and she would pop-out of the blue and scream. they would shit their pants everytime. Yeah, I found a reciept for some 57 front fenders I bought off him. He used to live a few blocks north off the 5 fwy and exit at riverside drive. His house was on the east side of the street. You never know, I just contacted these dudes from my old neighborhood the Ochoa Brothers. They stilll have all their rides from the 80s, a rhd vert , mini-smurf, and some race cars. unbelievable someone would have held on to cars that long. i would have never been able to...Im trying to get some pics off them to post on here for old times sake...

Last edited by j8bug on Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
j8bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwkidd wrote:
J8bug you mentioned the St Matthias girls.....I had a girl from every class from 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985 went to 82, 83, 84's prom. Bro if you went to HP what year were you their.

As far as your question about seeing suicide solution popping second gear wheelies. Most likely he was running a VW type1 motor, was probably a stroker motor like a 2180cc 82mm crank w/92mm Pistons or better yet a 2110cc 82mm crank w/90.5 Pistons and some welded ported heads with IDA's . Back then stroker motors were rare in our neighborhoods because they cost a lot more to build than an 1835cc stock stroke 69mm with 92mm pistons. A big stroker motor with type2 rear rubber snubbers and 90/10 front shocks or drilled front shocks from a chevy luv (no fluid) and strapped control arms you could get the revs up in second and double throttle and lift the front end. I used to do at all the time with my street race VW's At that time I think the only ones that could consistently pops wheelies were Lil Dreamer, Suicide Solution, and myself. I know Ray Lil Dreamer ran a big motor, and I think he built Suicide Solutions motor too. I used to run with wheelie bars to trip people out at Stadium way.
I thought it seemed foolish all these fools trying to come across porsche motors and then stuff them into bugs. i knew this one dude had an old 912 motor he was trying to put in his bug. That shit was funny... 85 & 86, and some of my friends relatives and girlfriends went to st mathias all the way up to 88
j8bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I need help from you guys with incredible recollection skills cause this one is driving me nuts until I remeber the name. Their used to be this club on Santa Monica blvd deep in West Hollywood. It was on the north side of the street about a block from a newstand and across the street from a 76 gas sation. It used to be a wednesday night joint so it was a small crowd but still some of the same familiar faces. Not Circus
j8bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALLWAGONS wrote:
Awesome bugs that come to mind, Baboom, Ragberry and Rag King. I really liked those bugs back in the day. Even though I am a hardcore type 3 guy. I remember cruising on my beater sunroof square to Tropicana's on Soto and Huntington drive, parking at the dip on Rosemead North of Garvey next to Bahooka's. Crusing by Mr. J's. Buying parts from Vintage VW on San Fernando Road and Bob Costa when he was in Glendale. Remember when Car Custom had that huge lot next door and you could buy pretty much any VW (bus, bug , ghia or type 3) you wanted for cheap? There was a VW club in El Sereno called The Fanatics, mostly original, dropped and primered bugs.
Your not alone, ive driven my share of buckets...
vwkidd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

j8bug wrote:
Okay, I need help from you guys with incredible recollection skills cause this one is driving me nuts until I remeber the name. Their used to be this club on Santa Monica blvd deep in West Hollywood. It was on the north side of the street about a block from a newstand and across the street from a 76 gas sation. It used to be a wednesday night joint so it was a small crowd but still some of the same familiar faces. Not Circus

Bro, your talking about DJ Michael Angelo's place called Ginos, you had to walk up stairs to get to it or the smaller club near Circus called the Arena. I didn't go to HP, I went to a Catholic H.S. but since I grew up in HP Florence/Alameda all my homies went to HP played football You might remember the Casillas brothers Rick & Carlos among many from your year.
1959 Convertible 151 L41
1955 Convertible 151 L41
1966 KG Convertible L456
1967 KG Convertible L41
1959 117 Deluxe L451
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Stories All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 87, 88, 89  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 89

Jump to: