Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Who Remembers The 80s CAL-STYLE
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39 ... 87, 88, 89  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Stories Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwkidd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary Bergs....one of my favorite OC CalLook VW's

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Remember for those that ran "slammed" CalStyle VW's with dual merge exhaust after a while they would be flat under the W from shift scrapping on the street then you would have to replace them.....Now can you even find a good set??
1966 141 Cabrio. L554 Cherry Red (low mileage)
Owned: All in the 80's slammed & running BRM's,Fuchs,OG Empis w/ big motors & 48IDA's LA Style!
1959 Convertible 151 L41
1955 Convertible 151 L41
1958 Convertible 151 L349
1966 KG Convertible L456
1967 KG Convertible L41
1959 117 Deluxe L451
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwkidd wrote:
Gary Bergs....one of my favorite OC CalLook VW's

Remember for those that ran "slammed" CalStyle VW's with dual merge exhaust after a while they would be flat under the W from shift scrapping on the street then you would have to replace them.....Now can you even find a good set??

Gary Berg's car... I'd love to see it in person, but its current owner said a few years ago he would bring it out unannounced to selected shows, whatever that means. I've heard that it's still just as nice as it used to be, others say it's gone downhill... I'm not much for the stupid rumor mill crap, which is why I'd like to see it in the flesh rather than pix on the internet... Laughing
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bill Schwimmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the memories on this thread vwkidd.Even though we hung out in parallel worlds ,it sounds like we had similar experiences. It was a great time to be young & into VW's.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwkidd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill Schwimmer wrote:
Thanks for the memories on this thread vwkidd.Even though we hung out in parallel worlds ,it sounds like we had similar experiences. It was a great time to be young & into VW's.

Hey Bill I remember your name from the OC performance scene. Yup It's a trip how we all shared the same experiences in the 80's. I had the best of both worlds.....the speed & performance of the OC CalLook engines & trannys, using all the players for speed back then like Fumio, Tims & Clyde for heads, Berg for cranks/flywheels and Dave Folts for my gearboxes, but with the LA latino Calstyle "slammed" all OG look using Jaime from Vintage Volkswagen Parts for all my Vintage look stuff........ Working for Jerry's & Unique Perfomance retail stores allowed me to cross both worlds back then.
Owned: All in the 80's slammed & running BRM's,Fuchs,OG Empis w/ big motors & 48IDA's LA Style!
1959 Convertible 151 L41
1955 Convertible 151 L41
1966 KG Convertible L456
1967 KG Convertible L41
1959 117 Deluxe L451
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
paulsvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

j8bug wrote:
F##**%$K IT!!!!! Here goes a mini Merge Duals Fest:

I do have to admit my car does look Sexy with those duals... That was then and this is now...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j8bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why am I not surprised that is a German Folks car... I caught a glimpse of that shot in some other thread and I havent stopped staring at it since. She is a super, super sexy ride...

Last edited by j8bug on Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
twinwindows
Samba Pimp

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwkidd wrote:
Jaime from Vintage Volkswagen Parts for all my Vintage look stuff........

I still kick it with Jaime all the time, Infact I work with him now. He use to help me at that store when I was just starting out.
CHRISTINE
GFK LIFER!

myzamboni wrote:
Yeah, everyone's now doing it GFK style . . . everythinig is covert until the finished product is revealed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j8bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

twinwindows wrote:
vwkidd wrote:
Jaime from Vintage Volkswagen Parts for all my Vintage look stuff........

I still kick it with Jaime all the time, Infact I work with him now. He use to help me at that store when I was just starting out.

We all seemed to have gone in there at some point or another during the early days to get some necessites. Time flies Embarassed
j8bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwkidd wrote:
Bill Schwimmer wrote:

Hey Bill I remember your name from the OC performance scene. Yup It's a trip how we all shared the same experiences in the 80's. I had the best of both worlds.....the speed & performance of the OC CalLook engines & trannys, using all the players for speed back then like Fumio, Tims & Clyde for heads, Berg for cranks/flywheels and Dave Folts for my gearboxes, but with the LA latino Calstyle "slammed" all OG look using Jaime from Vintage Volkswagen Parts for all my Vintage look stuff........ Working for Jerry's & Unique Perfomance retail stores allowed me to cross both worlds back then.

Wow, that ^^^ was cool!! 2 early players from L.A and O.C scenes of the 80s chit-chatting on this thread. The early days were about strictly having fun and taking it to the streets IMO... If you didnt live them its really hard to understand the common bond we all share. It happens all the time. I meet guys from Riverside, Hermosa, Arizona even as far away as Hawaii and we always hit it off from the outset. You could hang out for hours and it never gets old...
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to inform you guys, but We cannot take credit for the Lowrider/LA CAL Style look. It was invented in Germany in the 50's. Don't belive me? check out the two wheelin' action w/remote. Burn! Super Lowrider Show!

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j8bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALLWAGONS wrote:
Sorry to inform you guys, but We cannot take credit for the Lowrider/LA CAL Style look. It was invented in Germany in the 50's. Don't belive me? check out the two wheelin' action w/remote. Burn! Super Lowrider Show!

Hittin the switch while all of us werent even thought of... At first sight that pic is funny as hell Laughing Laughing Laughing
vwkidd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

j8bug wrote:
ALLWAGONS wrote:

Hittin the switch while all of us werent even thought of... At first sight that pic is funny as hell Laughing Laughing Laughing

Hahaha.....the little Krauts beat us!! rocking that side to side 3 wheel motion with the remote switch!!!
1959 Convertible 151 L41
1955 Convertible 151 L41
1966 KG Convertible L456
1967 KG Convertible L41
1959 117 Deluxe L451
j8bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwkidd wrote:
j8bug wrote:
ALLWAGONS wrote:

Hahaha.....the little Krauts beat us!! rocking that side to side 3 wheel motion with the remote switch!!!

I wonder if they were already using vise grips for connecting the ground wire Think ..
j8bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok folks, No need to call the shrink or alert the psych ward on me but unless you personally witnessed someone pop a 5 ft fucking wheelie on the street right in front of you while you were walking home from school you are going to have to trust us, that shit was real and this guy was one of a handfull doing it to us on a daily basis.

Eary 80s Icon on the streets of L.A. and ELA
twinwindows
Samba Pimp

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pioneer of logo`d cars in the Latino communities living in Los Angeles.
CHRISTINE
GFK LIFER!

myzamboni wrote:
Yeah, everyone's now doing it GFK style . . . everythinig is covert until the finished product is revealed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
spanky324
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the logo"d cars !Any more?
j8bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spanky324 wrote:

Hey, not only am I going to put together a little mini-fest for you, It will be a Danny A. Design fest... Stay tuned
twinwindows
Samba Pimp

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

j8bug wrote:
spanky324 wrote:

Hey, not only am I going to put together a little mini-fest for you, It will be a Danny A. Design fest... Stay tuned

Cool
CHRISTINE
GFK LIFER!

myzamboni wrote:
Bill Schwimmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

j8bug wrote:
Ok folks, No need to call the shrink or alert the psych ward on me but unless you personally witnessed someone pop a 5 ft fucking wheelie on the street right in front of you while you were walking home from school you are going to have to trust us, that shit was real and this guy was one of a handfull doing it to us on a daily basis.

This is a bit coincidental. Looking @ the plate of Ray's car it is 1EOD448 & the plate on my '55 that ran back in the late 80's was 1ERD048. both wheelstanding scary street cars...
vwkidd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

j8bug wrote:

Ray's Oval was the benchmark for me and my street race VW's....By the time I had a drivetrain that I felt could give him a run for the money I never saw is Oval at the street races anymore........That's one heads up street race I would have liked to of had Lil Dreamer vs. VWKidd
1959 Convertible 151 L41
1955 Convertible 151 L41
1966 KG Convertible L456
1967 KG Convertible L41
1959 117 Deluxe L451
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Stories All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39 ... 87, 88, 89  Next
Jump to:
Page 38 of 89

Jump to: