Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Porsche Powered Mid-Engine Double Cab Build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67dubcab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:30 am    Post subject: porsche powered mid-engine double cab build Reply with quote

The oil tank is located next to the engine like the stock Porsche set-up.
the thermostat is located even closer than stock Porsche 911 which is located in the rear wheel well.
The filter is a Canton with no by-pass, so should catch all before a short 18" hose run to the swirl part of the tank. All lines are -16, which are the same as the stock 911.

The pump is stock as are all the engine internals.

The running pressure is great, around 20psi at idle and builds nicely to 60+p.s.i. as r.p.m. increases, the engine also does not leak a drop, nor are there any leaks in the hose fittings.

I am going to gently warm up the engine and change out the oil to try to see if this metal making was a isolated non-damaging event (not likely).

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

might be worth running all the used oil through a paint filter/strainer a few times to see if you cant reuse it to flush the system, then once you have minimized metal flakes, put in a fresh 30 some quarts or whatever it takes. (26?)

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dubulup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the stock 911 oil lines to and from the cooler are 1"? That seems quite large...but it sounds like your motor built proper oil pressure. Is a scavenger pump used?

If it's not too much trouble draw a quick flow diagram of your oiling system with the lengths of each segment (and size if there are some that are not -16). This could help troubleshoot...if there is an issue.

Is it similiar to this set up?

67dubcab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:17 pm    Post subject: porsche powered mid-engine double cab build Reply with quote

Hey Stuartzickefoose, I actually do some paint finish work and have those funnel strainer guys, I think what I have is a spun bearing or cam gear grinding or some other internal problem so I think the only thing to do is pull the motor and tear it apart (or it will keep eating itself).

I was thinking I may have to pull the engine some day and maybe do a top end to cure the common valve guide wear issue but was hoping for more than 30 miles till that day. Rolling Eyes

dubulup, the stock porsche oil lines are that large, they use 30mm fittings.
The stock porsche 3.2 has a single pump in the engine, one side pressure one scavenge. My layout for the lines is shorter than stock and uses the stock thermostat.
All the lines and fittings I used are -16 and the layout is mostly visible in my posted photos except the line from the scavenge side of the engine sump which I am happy with the layout verses the stock Porsche which is not very elegant.

I will try and post a schematic of the Porsche oil system if I can which I basically followed except my filter is not on the tank but mounted just off it.
The stock Porsche dry sump tank takes 9to 10 quarts per change with another 3 to 5 quarts left in the lines and coolers.
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i kinda want to run extra oil in mine like this. major advantage is cooler oil temps, and longer periods between oil changes...and if you run a quart low, life will go on...Laughing

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67dubcab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:36 pm    Post subject: porsche powered mid-engine double cab build Reply with quote

Well, I am going to have to pull it all apart and tear into this engine.
I guess all the work Seth and I was not enough and now I need to rebuild the engine. Evil or Very Mad
Well the short drive I did take proved the concept works well and with tuning and optimizing, (the next phase I was looking forward to) this will be truck I envisaged.
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: porsche powered mid-engine double cab build Reply with quote

67dubcab wrote:
Well, I am going to have to pull it all apart and tear into this engine.
I guess all the work Seth and I was not enough and now I need to rebuild the engine. Evil or Very Mad
Well the short drive I did take proved the concept works well and with tuning and optimizing, (the next phase I was looking forward to) this will be truck I envisaged.

it will be worth it in the end, and you know it. sucks it had to happen so soon though Sad just went through this on a minor scale....fix the 78 with fire damage, new plastic everywhere, wires ect...get it all back together...found out it needed new heads and had to tear it all back apart within a day (tore down later, but same idea)

i feel for you man!

206-841-7324
[email protected]
tlambert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about the engine issue.

I love what you have done with the project.
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: porsche powered mid-engine double cab build Reply with quote

67dubcab wrote:
...except the harness and computer were sold to me by the same guy as the engine so that is a bit unsettling.
What a bummer! What else did you buy from him? Evil or Very Mad
67dubcab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:25 pm    Post subject: porsche powered mid-engine double cab build Reply with quote

Thanks all for the sympathy.
This engine fail is a big bummer. I was looking forward to the next phase of tuning all components and generally driving as I develop the chassis and systems, I hate going backwards. Evil or Very Mad But, anger is a energy- so I am putting that into pulling the engine, fixing the problem and putting it back together better than before.

I am still not sure if I was sold a broken engine or it seized a bearing while sitting or it was something I did. I may not ever know for sure.

On the flip side the concept worked, the truck drove well out of the box(shop) and the few times I got on the gas it was a beast.
Moving forward......
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: porsche powered mid-engine double cab build Reply with quote

67dubcab wrote:

it's really cool to me how 'normal' the truck looks in this photo.
67dubcab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 6:34 pm    Post subject: porsche powered mid-engine double cab build Reply with quote

It is alive take two!
I found another 3.2 fairly close and picked it up. It had been sitting on a shelf for an unknown amount of time and was bought as a shop buy-out by the person I purchased it from, so no history, crap shoot engine.
The price was reasonable (for a Porsche!) and even if it was just a core it would be good for parts for the "glitter engine".

I took it down to a long block and put on my old engines intake/exhaust.
put it back together and fired it up today. So far so good, sounds O.K. and only has one minor oil leak, so back on the road!
tlambert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats great. I know you have to be excited.
BDubVdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news. I'm excited to see it on the road.
67dubcab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject: porsche powered mid-engine double cab build Reply with quote

Thanks guys.
I am excited, though nervous. Watching the gauges- good oil pressure, 20p.s.i. at idle and up to 50/60 at redline.
No visible smoke, only the one small leak. I have not changed out the oil yet but will soon.

Some more on the road observations- power good but not over the top(future low boost turbo?
The shocks are awesome at crappy road control, ride is very controlled, could even go with more front spring rate, presently 180# with stock bay torsions(cut short for 4" narrowed beam).
I had a chance to bed in the brake pads and do some high speed stops-944 turbo Brembos work well. still tuning the Tilton proportioning valve, still needs more rear bias.
Shifting is notchy but I suspect I will get used to it, missed one 4th to 5th shift and caught 3rd, momentary 7000+ rev, no noticeable damage, but I am sure the rod bolts got just a bit longer.
Rustforlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck on the 2nd engine....hope it works out.
I've been lurking on this build thread for a long time, and have to appreciate your dedication. And eye for quality and innovation! I would love to take your DC for a drive some time...lol.
Twisted Minis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

67dubcab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:11 pm    Post subject: porsche powered mid-engine double cab build Reply with quote

Been awhile.
Daily driving and working out bugs. Right after Seth took those shots which were taken after working on some exhaust details the truck stopped after warming up to leave. At first I thought welding on the truck might have messed up the e.c.u but it turned out to be a dead fuel pump.
I went home and got a spare pump that came in a box of parts with the first engine I bought, put it in which is a pain since it is way back beside the fuel tank. hit the starter and 3.2 ltr of Porsche power is back from the dead- again. I let it idle and checked for leaks-gushing fuel from the pump!
The pump was leaking from the end-cap to body factory crimp seal, why someone would not just toss it as it mortally wounded. At least I knew it was the pump that was the initial fault. So a new pump goes in and away I go.
Some 2 or 300 miles later it dies again, tests for fuel pump power but no pressure, I am going to pull it soon and bench test, but I think it is dead.
I started a thread on the Porsche site Pelican Parts to see if anybody has some insight as to what is killing my fuel pumps.
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ you posted this at 9:11 Cool
67dubcab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:37 pm    Post subject: porsche powered mid-engine double cab build Reply with quote

I hope that brings me some good luck with this rig ,I could use it!

Thanks Rustforlife for kind words, I am hoping to drive it to the nor-cal treffen V.W Porsche show this sunday and also want to drive it to Busfest the following sunday, if you were to show up all the way from Texas then you can have a turn at the wheel. Cool

So I had a chance to work on it and the recently new fuel pump is dead. I pulled the Canton Racing fuel filter and like the oil filter which destroyed my first engine it was bypassing the filter because the end caps were not fully sealed. Evil or Very Mad
I put a new filter inline before the pump on the low pressure side and am running the Canton filter housing empty so I could hook it all back together.
When I get different high pressure filter I will plumb it in and throw the Canton filter in the recycling to be melted into something useful.

I put a new Bosch pump in, did the above mods, hit the starter and it lives again for the ??? time.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Page 14 of 19

Jump to: