Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Webcam 86b - 86c or Engle FK8 - FK10
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yamaducci wrote:
fivelugshortaxle wrote:
Just got off the phone with webcam....they say not to use udo be ker lifters with their cams. Straight from the horses mouth.

But Why? What did they say other than they make their own lifter; which means they want you to use theirs.
I have a Web 86C and Udo's that I have yet to fire.

Didnt say...all they daid was there have been a lot of failures with udos. Specifically pitting of the lifter. Basically their cams eat the udos.
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
Total seal 2nd ring, rest are Grants
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
Steve Long XR310 on a 106
CB 1.4 rockers
CB Magnaspark 2 distributor
NGK D7ea plugs
A1 lowdown 1 3/4 with single muffler
Dellorto 48's with 40 venturies
Kennedy Stage 2 with Daiken disc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
yamaducci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that happens after a wiped K8 and a wiped K10 I am done.
My 2498 Turbo Re-Build Thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5578697#5578697

3rd Brake Light Safety Stars- I still have a couple with blue light left. Email me if interested.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

udoo what you want udoo, but for me roller or the empi billet with oil hole witch I have run since 2005 in my daily driver in 2 diferent cases. and check adjust the valves 1 time a year and usualy require little to no readjustment. and the best part is the price and reliability.
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy, plugging your products? No issues with gears, the cam. Lots of people use OE VW cam gears.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jason wrote:
Roy, plugging your products? No issues with gears, the cam. Lots of people use OE VW cam gears.

Actually I was talking about the aftermarket gears....do you really think I would have had someone custom make me gears if there was something of as good quality out there that I could buy? Sure some aftermarket once "work" but most are tight to the steel gear and don't give the proper amount of backlash.

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From speaking to a few people, and reading a bit, it appears that the problem with the Udo Becker lifters is still quality control, as the other tool steel lifters are working with cams ground on the Scat SC1 blank. Steve Long today told me to go ahead and run his cams with the tool steel lifters from Phillips or Shag Leonne, but that Udo's lifters were still having hardness and size issues. maybe they needs a blue pill. Wink
A quick search turns up recent problems with pitting and undersize lifters. I'm guessing that Webcam and SLR are advising against Udo lifters to limit potential problems. If webcam is having their own problems in house, well that just adds another layer of complexity. Suddenly I'm glad that I went with SLR 296 for my turbo engine and not the Web. It's always something Rolling Eyes
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

esde wrote:
From speaking to a few people, and reading a bit, it appears that the problem with the Udo Becker lifters is still quality control, as the other tool steel lifters are working with cams ground on the Scat SC1 blank. Steve Long today told me to go ahead and run his cams with the tool steel lifters from Phillips or Shag Leonne, but that Udo's lifters were still having hardness and size issues. maybe they needs a blue pill. Wink
A quick search turns up recent problems with pitting and undersize lifters. I'm guessing that Webcam and SLR are advising against Udo lifters to limit potential problems. If webcam is having their own problems in house, well that just adds another layer of complexity. Suddenly I'm glad that I went with SLR 296 for my turbo engine and not the Web. It's always something Rolling Eyes

Hmmmm...crap. My udo's measured out fine, does that mean they are of the good batch? How do I tell other than to run them and see what happens?
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
CB 1.4 rockers
NGK D7ea plugs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Boolean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought Web were the good guys... Maybe it's time to forget about the US cams all together. These cam blank/lifter issues with no info from the manufacturers really stinks.
Think I'll go Raptor next time. The high cost of the cam/lifter kit is more than worth it to avoid costly failures.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Web has been excellent. I don't know the problem. Maybe they hired someone new, they are doing something and screwing up, and the guys upstairs don't know. We've tried to get thru, they are not listening or not getting our communications.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Downtown Brown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have put a couple of thousand miles on a 86B (SC-1 blank) UDO lifters, Berg magnum cam gears, Berg 1.45 rockers lots of 7000 shifts , taken apart for 86C 105 LC( SC1 blank) and lifter bore sleeves and head swap back to the Jeff Denham K-800 heads (UDO lifters and 86B looked great) UDO lifters are back in . Long term don't know but if I wanted real long term reliability I would of put the 40 horse back in it. Very Happy

Last edited by Downtown Brown on Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:32 am; edited 1 time in total
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Downtown Brown wrote:
I also have put a couple of thousand miles on a 86B (SC-1 blank) UDO lifters, Berg magnum cam gears, Berg 1.45 rockers lots of 7000 shifts , taken apart for 86C 105 LC( SC1 blank) and lifter bore sleeves and head swap back to the Jeff Denham K-800 heads . Long term don't know but if I wanted real long term reliability I would of put the 40 horse back in it. Very Happy

Hahahahah. Where at in Humboldt county are you? I'm in Eureka.
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
CB 1.4 rockers
NGK D7ea plugs
Downtown Brown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fivelugshortaxle wrote:
Downtown Brown wrote:
I also have put a couple of thousand miles on a 86B (SC-1 blank) UDO lifters, Berg magnum cam gears, Berg 1.45 rockers lots of 7000 shifts , taken apart for 86C 105 LC( SC1 blank) and lifter bore sleeves and head swap back to the Jeff Denham K-800 heads . Long term don't know but if I wanted real long term reliability I would of put the 40 horse back in it. Very Happy

Me too--- check out Humbugs VW club , we are on Facebook( current information )also Humbugs.org(web site a little behind) . We meet at the Eureka Moose off Campton RD. Our yearly show is Aug 1st at Pierson Park in Mckinleyville , we also have hooked up with the AIRHEAD PARTS ( KGPR )Treffen they will be coming down through Humboldt County Aug 2nd .

Last edited by Downtown Brown on Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Downtown Brown wrote:
fivelugshortaxle wrote:
Downtown Brown wrote:

Me too--- check out Humbugs VW club , we are on Facebook( current information )also Humbugs.org(web site a little behind) . We meet at the Eureka Moose off Campton RD. Our yearly show is Aug 1st at Pierson Park in Mckinleyville , we also have hooked up with the KGPR Treffen they will be coming down through Humboldt County Aug 2nd .

Cool. Good to know. Was hoping to have my car ready for that show but nope......issues with the body shop and paint so the car is back getting color sanded and some other fixes. You ever go to Bill's VW shop? I may be done going there.....he tried to sell me a fuel tank sending unit for my 68 for $50.00. Waaaay too pricey.
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
CB 1.4 rockers
NGK D7ea plugs
Downtown Brown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="fivelugshortaxle .[/quote]
Cool. Good to know. Was hoping to have my car ready for that show but nope......issues with the body shop and paint so the car is back getting color sanded and some other fixes. You ever go to Bill's VW shop? I may be done going there.....he tried to sell me a fuel tank sending unit for my 68 for $50.00. Waaaay too pricey.[/quote] Yes I know Bill-- Did you offer him $25 ? We used to have local & internet prices-not so much now...
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Downtown Brown wrote:
[quote="fivelugshortaxle .

Cool. Good to know. Was hoping to have my car ready for that show but nope......issues with the body shop and paint so the car is back getting color sanded and some other fixes. You ever go to Bill's VW shop? I may be done going there.....he tried to sell me a fuel tank sending unit for my 68 for $50.00. Waaaay too pricey.[/quote] Yes I know Bill-- Did you offer him $25 ? We used to have local & internet prices-not so much now...[/quote]

No, just told him to hold onto it. That I was ordering parts from aircooled.net and would just add it to that order.
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
CB 1.4 rockers
NGK D7ea plugs
vwsb74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:08 am    Post subject: Re: Webcam 86b - 86c or Engle FK8 - FK10 Reply with quote

Don't be afraid to run fk10 web 86c . My 2180 cc , stock gear ratio , heavy super , I can even drive in 4th gear in a slow traffic. Loads of torque even with 48 epc.
I have slr xr310 . In the near future I want to build 82x94 with the same cam.

2180cc 171hp@6k rpm there are more if we change the vents . 150tq@5k rpm
Tims stage 2
10cr
48 epc 37vents
Slr xr310
CB magnaspark non digital
Mechanical fuel pump
2014 Honda odyssey
2180cc 48IDA clone
Xr310 cam =171hp@6k rpm sold so as the car😢
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: