Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What is the real difference? Mahle VS. Chinese
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bugninva
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use denatured alcohol(always have it on my workvan!) for a wipedown after removing the stored parts from sealed bags for assembly... clean with denatured then oil the parts... Wink

GEX has. Just sayin
Berf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be noted that Taiwan quality is generally better than Chinese (PRC mainland). I understand that the excellent floorpans from Wolfsburg West are stamped in Taiwan. These babies are actually 18 gauge (.048"). I have some very good Taiwanese machine tools that have Meehanite castings. The main problem I see with Chinese products (beside raw material quality) is thread tolerances are universally lousy. If China can ever get over the "just good enough" mentality, they could really dominate. Anyone here ever remember (long ago) that ANYTHING Japanese made was absolute junk?
johnnypan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dubbers Toy Box wrote:
johnnypan wrote:
Anyone ever use Moresa P/C's ?...they are mexican, a friend got me a set I used in a backup motor....Moresa makes pistons for GM according to their website,they look to be good quality and measured out ok...just wondering if anyone knows how long they last...

were they in a yellow and blue box?

Nah a grass green box...the pistons are shorter tham mahles and have a cast look but they measured out well
Fitz.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugninva wrote:
i use denatured alcohol(always have it on my workvan!) for a wipedown after removing the stored parts from sealed bags for assembly... clean with denatured then oil the parts... Wink

That stuff is great for cleaning oily parts! I wiped down an engine with it after blowing my cooler seals, and it worked wonders compared to gunk.

Edit: Sorry for the sidebar/hijacking... Back to debating quality. Nobody ever answered my question: Cost aside, who makes the best?
LeviMan2001
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitz. wrote:
bugninva wrote:

That stuff is great for cleaning oily parts! I wiped down an engine with it after blowing my cooler seals, and it worked wonders compared to gunk.

Edit: Sorry for the sidebar/hijacking... Back to debating quality. Nobody ever answered my question: Cost aside, who makes the best?

Probably Mahle.

Wait, of the two here or of ALL?
tundrawolf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antonio Trejo wrote:
Quote:
i think Antonio is just showing off...

Antonio, are those still readily available to you in Mexico? what does a set of those OEM sets cost in USD?

Bugninva: The sets are available, but these ones are genuine Volkswagen, not OEM. Sellers are not allowed to post ads in this forum, so I will send you a PM.

Send me one too, will you? Thanks!
Fitz.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wondering about the best, period. I'm going to rebuild my 1500 soon, and leave it more or less stock. It's a daily driver, and I like the fuel economy. Plus it's about 98% original, so I think I'll forgo the big bore stuff, or a dual-port. Budget is a concern, and I already have the 1500. Don't want to spend more on a DP case and peripherials. Might use some Kadrons and a header, maybe larger exhaust valves, but that's about it. Stock compression, rocker-ratio, bore and stroke. Hoping/planning for a cool running high-mileage motor.

So, as everyone does, I'm looking to balance longetivity with budget concerns. Who makes the best pistons and barrels? Second best? Third, even?

I'd use Mahle, but it sounds like I'd be better served by something else.
tundrawolf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Berf wrote:
It should be noted that Taiwan quality is generally better than Chinese (PRC mainland). I understand that the excellent floorpans from Wolfsburg West are stamped in Taiwan. These babies are actually 18 gauge (.048"). I have some very good Taiwanese machine tools that have Meehanite castings. The main problem I see with Chinese products (beside raw material quality) is thread tolerances are universally lousy. If China can ever get over the "just good enough" mentality, they could really dominate. Anyone here ever remember (long ago) that ANYTHING Japanese made was absolute junk?

I agree with you, Taiwan has some fairly decent stuff. I see "Made in Taiwan" and my first feelings are "Oh no" but it usually turns out to be a good product. And yes, I remember when nothing but JUNK came out of Japan. Using tools from the 50s 60s and 70s was hilarious, compared to what they make today. I would love to keep my money in the USA, I wonder-will we ever be able to compete with China?
LeviMan2001
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitz. wrote:
I wondering about the best, period. I'm going to rebuild my 1500 soon, and leave it more or less stock. It's a daily driver, and I like the fuel economy. Plus it's about 98% original, so I think I'll forgo the big bore stuff, or a dual-port. Budget is a concern, and I already have the 1500. Don't want to spend more on a DP case and peripherials. Might use some Kadrons and a header, maybe larger exhaust valves, but that's about it. Stock compression, rocker-ratio, bore and stroke. Hoping/planning for a cool running high-mileage motor.

So, as everyone does, I'm looking to balance longetivity with budget concerns. Who makes the best pistons and barrels? Second best? Third, even?

I'd use Mahle, but it sounds like I'd be better served by something else.

http://www.lnengineering.com/pistons.htm

Those are the supreme right there. You can go up to around 100mm because they're forged ALUMINUM which transfers heat better than steel Twisted Evil Badass for sure.
bugninva
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeviMan2001 wrote:

Those are the supreme right there. You can go up to around 100mm because they're forged ALUMINUM which transfers heat better than steel Twisted Evil Badass for sure.

are you under the impression that other pistons are steel?

GEX has. Just sayin
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeviMan2001 wrote:
Fitz. wrote:
bugninva wrote:

Probably Mahle.

Wait, of the two here or of ALL?

Actually...Kolbenschmidt makes the best "stock" pistons....if you can get them. Of course....L&N "nickies"..are in a class by themselves! Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugninva wrote:
LeviMan2001 wrote:

He is talking about the L&N cylinders which are aluminum with a nickle silicone lining (variations of whcih are used by Audi and Mercedes)...and matched, forged pistons and rings. I think they start at about $1,300 a set or so. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugninva
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
bugninva wrote:
LeviMan2001 wrote:

He is talking about the L&N cylinders which are aluminum with a nickle silicone lining (variations of whcih are used by Audi and Mercedes)...and matched, forged pistons and rings. I think they start at about $1,300 a set or so. Ray

I was confused by the Link he posted... www.lnengineering.com/pistons.htm
(Pistons in the address)

GEX has. Just sayin
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: