Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dual Carb Engine Wiring
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:46 am    Post subject: Dual Carb Engine Wiring Reply with quote

I am updating the Dual Carb Adjustment Procedure. This is a prerequisite deal that could make your life a lot easier.

Take a look at this diagram. This is how I wired my Road Warrior's dual carb engine for elegant ease of maintenance . . . it is not as complicated as it looks.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Your modern coils have three spades each on the (+) and (-). Obtain the two-fer-one terminals. They come as Y's or U's, I prefer the Y's.
You will need all six resultant (+) spades, even seven with Pertronix.

- tachometer I had a pigtail leading to the ceiling where the wire joined the rear window defogger wire for a trip to the dashboard.
- green wire to condensor/breaker points, or Pertronix negative.
- this page left blank

+ 1 reverse fuse
(I branched this additionally with "U" terminal for Pertronix +. Disconnect when leaving ignition on for any reason.
+ 2 central cut-off goes into left harness. Scratch a little "C" into the coil in line with this spade terminal.
+ 3 right cut-off goes into right harness. Scratch a little "R" in the coil in line with this spade terminal.
+ 4 left cut-off goes in left harness. Scratch a little "L" in the coil in line with this spade terminal.
+ 5) left choke and fuel enrichment device go in the left harness. Split this wire at the coil so it can go into the right harness.
+ 6 ignition supply wire, make sure that you can easily reach this.

If you have plastic insulated spade terminals, use a razor blade to trim the plastic off the inside edge that is next to its mate on the "Y". Because I did not have pretty wire to distinguish all these things, I used alternating blue and red tinted plastic insulated spade terminals for the cut-offs.

Now, when you are tuning your dual carb bus, you can easily shut off the central idling circuit "C" when checking dual carb mixtures, you can do a power balance test between left and right carbs, you can disable the Pertronix when testing reverse lights or other times you need to have ignition on. Use De-Ox gel on the C/R/L terminals and they will slide off easily and still have good continuity. Most importantly, these E-Z Access coil terminals will save your cut-off spades from getting damaged or loosened by too much handling. Many dual carb buses suffer from backfires and power loss and stalling due intermittant contact inside the cut-offs from too much mucking around.
Colin (picture now hosted on theSamba for greater clarity 02/02/10)

Last edited by Amskeptic on Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rustbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awsome, thanks for this Colin, I'll be getting to my wiring again soon and I was starting at my carb wiring wondering if I could do things better.

Any chance you could upload a larger version of your drawing?

got any pics of the coil in question?

Very nice drawing by the way.
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rustbus wrote:
awsome, thanks for this Colin, I'll be getting to my wiring again soon and I was starting at my carb wiring wondering if I could do things better.

Any chance you could upload a larger version of your drawing?

got any pics of the coil in question?

Very nice drawing by the way.

Picture now hosted on theSamba - 02/02/10
If you open the picture in a different window (just click it) and expand with your browser, you can see a larger lousy image with even less acuity.

This here is missing a few wires, since it photographed in my dining room.
You can see the harnesses though.
Colin

Last edited by Amskeptic on Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alex6373
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much great info i just am about to re do this wiring after I burned up the harness when it shorted out going through the tunnel in Richmond.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

autobus73 wrote:
Thanks so much great info i just am about to re do this wiring after I burned up the harness when it shorted out going through the tunnel in Richmond.

Ouch, what a place to choose to burn up a harness.

I would love it if my dual carb visits would update their coils to this method. It makes tune-up day a joy!
. . . ok, less of a pain. Cool
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just take all that extra load off the coil? Add a relay and use the original coil feed to run the accessories and trigger a relay to feed the coil. Add a Weatherpak connector and call it good.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no extra load on the coil.It's just a terminal block
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bsairhead wrote:
There's no extra load on the coil.It's just a terminal block

2 choke elements
3 idle cutoffs
1 fuel enrichment

Those are all loads on the same supply to the coil.. Might be small loads but if you want a better spark output you could remove them from the coil current supply.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree.But coil load and coil supply are to different things
ToolBox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bsairhead wrote:
I agree.But coil load and coil supply are to different things

I just re-read my fist statement and I had it worded wrong.

Remove all extra consumers from the coil circut.
Alex6373
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres a picture of what you inspired me to do to clean up my wiring that fried in the summer in the tunnel !

All circuit's are disconnect able for tuning and colour coded. Thank's again for the great Idea!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

autobus73 wrote:
Heres a picture of what you inspired me to do to clean up my wiring that fried in the summer in the tunnel !

All circuit's are disconnect able for tuning and colour coded. Thank's again for the great Idea!

Wow, nice work! It makes tune-up day easier, and I love having it for quick on-the-fly carb tweaks . . . wait, I used to love having it .

I hope to visit many dual carb bus people over the summer to help me get my "fix" while I give them their fix.
Colin
Krautski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's good inspiration to clean up my somewhat messy coil wiring, and replace the brittle shit preemptively.

Quote:
I stopped reading after volksaru and busaru
rustbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All we need now is a materials list, cut lengths, heat shrink qty's, and we wont have to think for ourselves....what do you say Colin, you got time for that sort of thing ? Razz

...actually seriously though, that would be sweet.
Alex6373
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to Princess Auto here in BC and picked up twenty bucks worth of wire a package of shrink wrap some double spade and single spade terminals, as a plus I have lot's of wire left for other clean up job's Hey Amskeptic I also liked your vacuum line drawing , this is what I think a lot of people need here on the site to be able to correctly get thing's in shape so that these machines can be tuned to run the way they were intended Very Nice work Thanks again

teuton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That diagram is super cool. How did you make it? By hand then scanning? Awesome work!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: