Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Just got a Continental!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
roy mawbey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For 54 - 55 the Reutter painted the 356 bodies Silver Metallic. There are 2 numbers for this paint:

Reutter number Silver Metallic 535 lacquer
Porsche number " " 5406

Glasurit supplied the paint to Reutter I believe in most cases.

Look on www.stoddard.com/exterior_color.htm and see on that page the colour listings and the 'link' to the Glasurit pages to see the larger colour swatches. The dash colour is normally always the same colour as the body and your dash looks really original from the photo. Very nice indeed!!

Roy
bbspdstr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roy mawbey wrote:
.............Reutter number Silver Metallic 535 lacquer
Porsche number 5406................Glasurit supplied the paint to Reutter I believe in most cases.....

Yes to lacquer. Thus the plaque "Nitrolack" or nitrocellulose lacquer.
The xx06 stayed with silver, though an optional color (?)
The '55's dash color on my screen actually looks to have a warm (beige?) cast to it and frankly looks too good to be original....but it's just a picture. I remember the factory silver being of so fine a metallic flake that they were undiscernible, unlike, say, a Cadillac "Firemist."
Those original silvers would last only a few years and dull down to look like primer within 10 years....I know that from personal experience. My first 356s were just 'used cars' and silver, but quickly got a deluxe $30 paint job ($15 for a gallon of silver Duluxe DuPont silver enamel and $15 for the painter after I did the sanding and masking prep) to look fresh and alive.
Now, a one-stage silver is difficult to find.
When I now paint a 356 in silver, I only offer one choice. Offering several silvers became a nightmare for a customer choice, so I make it for them with something as close to what I remember new 356s to have.
Various brands will offer this code: Mercedes 9744 (or just 744) "Brilliant silver" and make sure they use the finest "European" silver base ingredient. I have been spraying Spies-Hecker (also an OEM supplier to Porsche), but in the US their 257 solid color line is NLA. I do not know if their 2-stage (basecoat/clear coat) 293 line is still around, but it likely is.
Here is that silver on my last Speedster, looking like my first in '65;
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:28 am    Post subject: Just got a Continental! Reply with quote

Hi Bruce,
Just to confirm, "06" stayed with silver metallic as an official (if optional) offering through 1963. My 1964 C coupe has a 6206 paint code as confirmed by the COA but by then it was not even offered as an option. By 1964 it was special order only.
Regards,
Jon
ensys
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is this same fine-grain metallic flake that makes 5607 (Aquamarine Blau Metallic) so difficult (if you don't count getting the color mix right).

The Trusty (T1 A) Coupe still wears its Factory version of this color (tho an early '57, on which it would later be unavailable in metallic), in pretty fair shape, on the dash. While there is likely some "fade" issue to consider, two things seem clear: It's really tough to find flake small enough these days, and, most (re-spray) versions of this color I have seen are too too-intense blue (for POP I presume).

If this venture into another color is deemed "hijack", my apologies. but the flake's the same....

S.J.Szabo
water guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know a good shop in the Seattle/Puget Sound area that rebuilds/rebushes carbs?
Thanks
Jason
356JAEGER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contact Harry, He's excellent...

http://www.biekerengineering.com/

When in doubt, think about it..
The outcome of a project is directly proportional to its preparation.
water guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

Still love the car! I have put a few miles on it, and I just love how it drives!
Looks like its going 100mph..but with a 1500...don't
need to worry about getting a speeding ticket!
water guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen several of these continental badges goldplated. Where they all this way? I cannot find any trace of goldplating on mine
DaveCarrera4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

water guy wrote:

I have seen several of these continental badges goldplated. Where they all this way? I cannot find any trace of goldplating on mine
Hi, nice car. I just pulled a '55 Continental from grandparents barn. Continental scripts are brass finish.
TheRhys
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:46 pm    Post subject: Hey! Reply with quote

Just wanted to say that Akers Porsche in Seattle is close to you and does excellent work on 356's! Denny has a couple dozen himself! Beautiful car! Very Happy
Tortie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the Continental emblems were gold plated,...but the plating was very very thin and is always worn off,..sometimes completely. The base metal is brass. If you would,..could you post a close up picture of the backs of your emblems?

There have been reproductions done with a chrome finish, and some done with a gold finish. (I don't think either had a brass base metal though)
And currently there are no reproductions being made. If you've got a set, original or reproduction,...Great! I'd either hand deliver them to the plater,..or else, insure them for thousands. I have only seen two sets sell in the past five years,..(both for over 2k(!))

I once was very skeptical of whether the front and rear Porsche emblems would be the Pre A style of aluminum alloy,...what with the Continental emblems being gold. I thought it would be odd for Porsche to put two different style emblems on the same model car. I also always saw pictures of restored Conti's with all the emblems in gold. Turns out those cars were done with gold Porsche emblems simply because it's nearly impossible to find the aluminum ones unbroken.

What turned my opinion was two things. I had a discussion with Brett Johnson and he assured me that, yes, indeed,..the Porsche emblems were originally supplied on the 55 as aluminum. That was as solid a reference I could ever hope to find....until...
When I was doing the body work on my car and dug out the copious amounts of bondo used to fix old front end damage,...low, and behold,..down in the original emblem mounting holes that had been slathered over with bondo,..there was an original broken off mounting pin. Got it out, hit it with a file,..and it was aluminum. So,..the Continental did indeed sport a "two tone" emblem set up.

(P.S...Hi Dave!)
DaveCarrera4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some pics of the back of the emblems.
Tortie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Dave,

What you have there are what I believe to be originals. (I wouldn't doubt that knowing the history of your car, ha ha) The tell tale is that casting joint on the second N in Continental. It's faint, but I think I can see it in the pictures. The originals I have seen have this feature,...the repro's do not.
Another interesting thing about original Continental emblems verses the reproductions is that if you hold the originals by the protruding "L" at the end, and lightly touch them together, they will ring with the most wonderfully high"ping",...like a chime. Repros sound dull, like pot metal.

Not to knock the repros,...at least the gold plated ones. (don't know about the chromed ones,..never had any of those) The gold ones I have seen are very well done. So much so, that if you can't inspect the back side,...you'd really not be able to tell them from originals.
water guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy...if they are that rare I am not gonna touch them. I'd probably break off the mounting tabs if I did! One cool thing, after owning this car for three years I looked in a little side pocket of the door panel and found the little Porsche emblem for the dash! And it is gold colored...
gazlaw75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A most beautiful 356, fantastic dash board and it would be pretty hard to make that ride any better in my honest opinion!!! Wow.
water guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well then stay tuned...I may sell it.
My tastes are just changing back to the love of VW's.
DaveCarrera4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

water guy wrote:
Well then stay tuned...I may sell it.
My tastes are just changing back to the love of VW's.

Any updates to your thought of selling your Conti?
water guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like I am on a seesaw thinking about it. The main thing I do not like about old Porsches is anything you need to buy cost a fortune. Luckily mine is complete minus the 16 inch wheels. I sure wish the previous owner hadn't thrown them away! My biggest hesitation is if I sell it I know I will never be able to buy one again. I did get an email from somebody with a $10,000 standing offer.... Things like that really turn me off of even thinking about selling it. I must say that this is Firetruck I recently bought has really pulled me back into the Volkswagen world. So to answer the question I am still at 50-50.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

water guy wrote:
I did get an email from somebody with a $10,000 standing offer.... Things like that really turn me off of even thinking about selling it.

Seriously... Rolling Eyes
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
water guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! I was lectured on how old Porsches are not in demand. A fully restored Continental is worth 50,000 at the most....and a restoration would cost more to do. My comment was, " if that's all they are worth why have you emailed three times over the last couple months."
He said he just wanted a fun project. My car is far from perfect, but you are gonna have to step up to even interest me. Like I said, if I sold this and tried to buy one in ten years...I'd probably have to sell my house.
It's paid for and in a warm heated garage.
At this point I am so distracted by staring at my firetruck, the porsche will be hybernating for a bit.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: