Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1958 Goliath Express 1100
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Culito

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dfusion001 wrote:
WOW just a very beautiful unique automobile! Please forgive me for what Im bout to say but, I think that re-spraying this car is a huge mistake! Not only is the patina PERFECT, but to throw on a cheap spray would just kill this beauty!
The character it has is unbelievable that only years on top of years can orchestrate and some cars even after so many years, dont obtain what this car has!
I hope your daughter enjoys your car, but a little knowledge goes a loooooong way, and perhaps years down the road, she too will realize that re-spraying that car ( in a cheap manner even more so ) was a mistake. Specially since finding another like it will be ultra rare.

But its your car, again enjoy it, I hope she does as well and best of luck always...

I agree..the only paint this car needs is a clear coat!
johnnypan wrote:
...dont pay no attention to Culito,he's a cornhole..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ragtop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a picture of the Goliath single cab the way it came home from Cali.

Warning some might find picture inappropriate. Laughing

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dfusion001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, U seriously resprayed that Green single cab to red? Shocked
I TAKE MY HAT OFF TO YOU for finding these gems and putting them back on the road, but PLZ Stop ruining the patina!!!! Crying or Very sad Unless u plan on keeping ALL these vehicles, you are certainly decreasing their value on the resprays...

I would buy ANY of those vehicles, but the moment I knew how they used to look, as a buyer i would be sooooo turned off and probably back off the sale!

Anyhow, like I said before, they are your vehicles, do as they seem fit for you and enjoy them...
quartermilecamel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have pictures of the drivetrain. Im curious as to what they used design wise. Somebody said the front wheel drive was going after their long trip and he gave up looking for parts. Somthing that old I would think it could be made or adapted.
Andy P
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No offense, dfusion, but the previous 4 sentences of your last post seem to contrast massively with the last one and the last one also seems disingenuous.
I love patina, and truth be told I'd probably see if I could lower it on some cool period look alloys, but the truth is a vehicle that good is worth more in shiny condition than patina.
These are Goliaths, not single owner/buried in a barn/short production run 1930s Bugattis, so they're worth what they can be sold as vintage or veteran vehicles.
So either you admit it's his and cut out the condemnation while still opining the loss of the patina or you stop pretending you think it's his decision.
For the record, I don't think he would part with these for love nor money, right, Raptop?

'62 Beetle

Jägdwagen
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BUGTHUG
Samba's Rented Mule

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are FREAKY COOL. I bet your daughter will want a Toyota with AC, and power everything after a while. I hope not, but some people's kids.
I bet the one you got in Montana was happy to get out of that snow.
Looks like youre going to need some more room for your collection. Very Happy

1963 15 window bus
1966 VW bug
1966 21 window micro bus
1969 Dune Buggy
1965 VW bug
1974 VW bug
1972 Kelmark, VW drive line
1948 Chevrolet Hearse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bus guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dfusion:
Whilst I agree the sedan just looks perfect as it is, his daughter and her peers will just see it as a rusty car, so please stop beatin' on him and respect his decision to repaint the car.
OH, by the way, if you actually READ the words as well as looking at the pictures, you will see that the 2 single cabs are actually different ones Rolling Eyes
bus guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That being said, CLR it and slam it on earlies Laughing
Ragtop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dfusion001 wrote:
I TAKE MY HAT OFF TO YOU for finding these gems and putting them back on the road, but PLZ Stop ruining the patina!!!! Crying or Very sad Unless u plan on keeping ALL these vehicles, you are certainly decreasing their value on the resprays...

I would buy ANY of those vehicles, but the moment I knew how they used to look, as a buyer i would be sooooo turned off and probably back off the sale!

Anyhow, like I said before, they are your vehicles, do as they seem fit for you and enjoy them...

OK bro don't freak out as stated above the single cabs are to different vehicles and the green one has some significant rot issues that will need to be repaired Crying or Very sad . I wish I owned the red one Laughing

On a good note I showed my daughter this thread and she is going to roll the sedan in patina with clear over it.
Ragtop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy P wrote:
No offense, dfusion, but the previous 4 sentences of your last post seem to contrast massively with the last one and the last one also seems disingenuous.
I love patina, and truth be told I'd probably see if I could lower it on some cool period look alloys, but the truth is a vehicle that good is worth more in shiny condition than patina.
These are Goliaths, not single owner/buried in a barn/short production run 1930s Bugattis, so they're worth what they can be sold as vintage or veteran vehicles.
So either you admit it's his and cut out the condemnation while still opining the loss of the patina or you stop pretending you think it's his decision.
For the record, I don't think he would part with these for love nor money, right, Raptop?

I'm going to sell the Montana Deluxe as I'm fine with having one of each Wink Thanks for the kind words
Culito

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ragtop wrote:
dfusion001 wrote:

OK bro don't freak out as stated above the single cabs are to different vehicles and the green one has some significant rot issues that will need to be repaired Crying or Very sad . I wish I owned the red one Laughing

On a good note I showed my daughter this thread and she is going to roll the sedan in patina with clear over it.

Yay!! It's certainly an eye-catcher like that. My wife loves driving around in my patina bug, people around here almost snap their necks looking at it - she loves the attention. Very Happy
johnnypan wrote:
...dont pay no attention to Culito,he's a cornhole..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Andy P
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ragtop wrote:
Andy P wrote:

I'm going to sell the Montana Deluxe as I'm fine with having one of each Wink Thanks for the kind words

Geez, Raptop, make a liar out of me, why don't you! Rolling Eyes Smile

'62 Beetle

Jägdwagen
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ragtop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy P wrote:
Ragtop wrote:
Andy P wrote:

I just thought you might want to roll it Wink Laughing
Andy P
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmmm, '62 Beetle close to the road, a '62 Bus a little further from the road, a '61 Beetle shell to pick up from Sydney and a '66 Beetle parts car to pick up from a place not far from town.
Now, the Deluxe would cost $3k for the shipping container to Oz and the $5 purchase price......hell, why not.
Lets get that baby heading Down Under. Laughing

P.S. Good work turning your daughter to the "Dark Side".....i.e. patina. Wink
As I say, a comfy interior is perfect in a vehicle like that.
Nicely trimmed seats, vintage look door cards and a well hidden conservative but effective modern sound system will make it tons cool.

'62 Beetle

Jägdwagen
quartermilecamel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think it matters if its painted or not. Those goliaths will be majorly popular.
TheRustySuper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really am loving all those ashtrays. It's the kind of car my friend and I need Very Happy
dfusion001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy P wrote:
Ragtop wrote:
Andy P wrote:

Need I Say more Andy? Wink

And with my post I only intended offer my opinion, as freely as everyone does around here, without bashing or as U put it "condemnating" anyone. At the same time, stating that even though I offered an opinion only-not a suggestion, I respect his choices since those are his vehicles and very cool ones I might ad! Very Happy
dfusion001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ragtop, my fault! I didnt realize they were 2 different vehicles. And I'll take advantage of this post to offer my apologies if I offended u with my posts, It was never my intention. I'm a patina lover and those vehicles are lovely as is. Just wanted to share my thoughts, thats all.
Oh, and I'm certainly glad your daughter will give the patina a try! Hey, if she doesn't completely dig it, u can always respray it... ( I hope not Very Happy )
Ragtop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dfusion001 wrote:
Ragtop, my fault! I didnt realize they were 2 different vehicles. And I'll take advantage of this post to offer my apologies if I offended u with my posts, It was never my intention. I'm a patina lover and those vehicles are lovely as is. Just wanted to share my thoughts, thats all.
Oh, and I'm certainly glad your daughter will give the patina a try! Hey, if she doesn't completely dig it, u can always respray it... ( I hope not Very Happy )

No apologies needed the debate between patina and shinny paint is a matter of opinion and everyone is entitled to theirs. Very Happy Just like I thought these cars where gonna get frowned on but I really like all the love they got. Very Happy
Ragtop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well all the paper work is in order and got the title for the single cab. Also during Thanksgiving weekend I picked up another Goliath Express. Its a panel and is going to be used to save the single cab. Before anyone gets all hyped about it being used for parts here's the history. At one point in its life the frame was cut off at the rear and a VW bus frame with torsion housing was welded in. The whole rear deck has been hacked,its had multiple vents,windows and holes cut into the aluminum body and the roof is pretty mangled at the rear. Well here's some picture of the single cab and Panel

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: