Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

dual carb throttle set-up and linkage
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
easyriderknucklehead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:54 pm    Post subject: dual carb throttle set-up and linkage Reply with quote

messing around with carbs today they idle now and got o k response but could use some tips.

(a) need a picture of where the throttle cable attaches to linkage ( I have the long pin that goes through the pin with the hole through the lincage and then this 2 inch gap before the return spring attachment.) should there be something there cause after I have my girl hold the pedal to the metal and I hook up the cable it kinda is floppy .

(b) can t find oil screen bolt on pan its got a oil filter and Bentley shows 1974 type 4 has screen to clean??

)C) set my points to .017 today didn t have .016 guage is it O k

and (d) any tips on adjusting carbs (what are the 2 10 mm nuts on the left side of linkcage for I notice the bar moves slowly as I adjust and how should I start this procedure.
been reading but have just basic tools
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:53 am    Post subject: Re: dual carb throttle set-up and linkage Reply with quote

Check this thread out for info on your carbs

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=399195

The oil screen cover is dead center in the bottom of the crankcase, should be very obvious.

The specs for the points is .016-.020" so your are right in the middle of the range. With new points I like to set them more towards .0180-.020" though.
easyriderknucklehead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: dual carb throttle set-up and linkage Reply with quote

thanks that's a great add for carbs.

I checked the bottom and no bolt to take the cover off in the middle it has the to metal line looking things n it that go up the front side of the engine from there. I see where ir should be looks like a round 6 inch gasket could go but nothing to remove it like a bolt .

my engine is out of a 1974 and has a regular oil filter maybe or should there be both??
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: dual carb throttle set-up and linkage Reply with quote

easyriderknucklehead wrote:
thanks that's a great add for carbs.

I checked the bottom and no bolt to take the cover off in the middle it has the to metal line looking things n it that go up the front side of the engine from there. I see where ir should be looks like a round 6 inch gasket could go but nothing to remove it like a bolt .

my engine is out of a 1974 and has a regular oil filter maybe or should there be both??

There is going to be a big round cover right in the center of the bottom of the crankcase with a single bolt in the center that holds it in place. This is a Type 3 case, but the location of the cover is the same. The Type 3 cover is held on by 6 small bolts around its edge, while the Type 4 cover is held on by one large bolt in its center.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: