Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

74 super -- orientation of steering box arm at wheel center
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
theDrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:33 am    Post subject: 74 super -- orientation of steering box arm at wheel center Reply with quote

Hey Folks,

74 super

I'm putting together my steering linkage. Can someone put a picture up of the orientation of the steering arm off the steering box when the wheels are centered?

Trying to un-dick-ify someone elses "interesting" work!

Thanks!
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: 74 super -- orientation of steering box arm at wheel center Reply with quote

This is what I ended up with with the steering wheel centered.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
theDrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: 74 super -- orientation of steering box arm at wheel center Reply with quote

thanks, so is it parallel with the frame rails then?
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: 74 super -- orientation of steering box arm at wheel center Reply with quote

theDrew wrote:
thanks, so is it parallel with the frame rails then?

I think it would have to be to get the stops to work, and to get the track arm centered when the steering wheel is centered. The pitman arm on the other side orientates in a similar fashion since it's attached to the other end of the track control arm.
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: