Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Spring Plate Angle/Torsion Bar Adjustment (Pics Added)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
1967250s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An aside, has anyone used urethane bushings? And what size to look for- 1 7/8" or are any made for Bus-'72? And what do you do for rust on the tube/bushing so it does not wear away the bushing prematurely, aside from applying talc?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1967250s wrote:
And what do you do for rust on the tube/bushing so it does not wear away the bushing prematurely, aside from applying talc?

I can't answer the Urethane question but definitely sand the bearing surfaces on the torsion arm smooth and shiny, rusty lumps will eat away the new bushing in no time.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if your doing the spring plate adjustment, put your jackstands under the torsion tube.

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pintail78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Stuart, I looked today, that looks best nice and beefy looking. John T.
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pintail78 wrote:
Thanks Stuart, I looked today, that looks best nice and beefy looking. John T.

it will give you more solid squat with the bus. if you put the stands under the frame rails, when you jack up the spring plates (if you are lifting your bus) then the bus will lift up a LOT easier than you would think. go for those torsion tubes, especially if you are lifting it up.

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pintail78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone had any problems with the bus lifting up when jacking the spring back up to get it over the lip? I was just going to level the bus and use the torsion bar as jack points. Seems kinda scary if the bus started to lift. Any suggestions or experience.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the bus is lifting you have the plates set wrong, are you using a protractor or doing it by "eye"?.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
pintail78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I havent done it yet, I was going -1 inner and +1 outer to raise it about 1/3 of an inch or 50'. Just a general question, someone had mentioned it and I wondering about other peoples experiences with it lifting off the jack stands.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it's set properly you can almost pry it up onto the stop without a jack but one of those little scissor jacks makes it easier, not much load there and it won't lift the bus.

Слава Україні!
pintail78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool thanks, I like to know what Im doing before I get into it. I appreciate it.
pintail78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished the job, heres my take, I have a 68 bus so its a little different than others.
-I had to loosen my parking brake cable, on mine it s easiest just doing it from the cab.
-I had to pull my brake lines off the nub to get more clearance.
-I used anti-seize instead of talcum powder, a buddy of mine owns a VW repair shop locally (for 30 years) and he said it will last longer and work better.
-I adjusted mine to 24 degrees (bentley says 23 50'), I adjusted the drivers side up 1degree, the passenger side was fine as is.
-the silver sharpie wiped off easily and i lost my marks on the first side, i just adjusted it to gets about 1 more degree from original measurements.
-I used a dremel tool to permanently mark original settings on the second side as the sharpie sucked and wiped off.
-The torsion bushings were wasted, i think they give the bus a lot of freeplay when loading and unloading, probably will effect handling, i'll see in the next few days.
-It took my 7 hours total, mainly because i had to pull all the brake stuff off after I took everything else apart, and my silver sharpie marks were wiped off on my first side.
dames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a first time mechanic and am attempting to return my bus to stock hight.It has been lowered two splines in the past I have managed to strip the rear and understand how it all goes back but on one side the spring plate looks like it stands proud but its back far enough to sit on the step so now im thinking the spring is a bit shorter is this possible?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any chance the spring plate is bent?, sometimes you have to press the bushings in by installing the cover with longer bolts first.
Here's how to post pictures: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6

Слава Україні!
dames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Busdaddy I have just had another look and im sure the torsion bar has gone in a bit far and the spring plate is fully back as it will sit on the step fine.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dames wrote:
I am a first time mechanic and am attempting to return my bus to stock hight.It has been lowered two splines in the past I have managed to strip the rear and understand how it all goes back but on one side the spring plate looks like it stands proud but its back far enough to sit on the step so now im thinking the spring is a bit shorter is this possible?

It is normal for the spring plate to not fit completely flush with the torsion bar.
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone else see the spring plate article in a recent issue of hot VWs? lots of cool stuff to look through

206-841-7324
[email protected]
scirocco_crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i did it a little differently, I increased the spring angle by one spline on both sides and used wagenswest drop plates. I have noticed that the drivers side is still lower so I am going to go back in to get another degree. I did have to use a jack to lift the spring plate in place then used the bushing cap to drive it in with the bolts. [img]
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]
Current Build 1976 VW Bus Subaru with EZ36 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9443081#9443081
Second Current Build 1979 Porsche 911SC
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=10117349#10117349
Previous Builds 78 Westy with matching trailer
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=589790&highlight=westy
78 Bay with Acura 3.2 Type S engine
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516038&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
levi20AE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rear of my bus unloaded is a little low, but when its loaded for camping and the small trailer it can get pretty saggy. I would like to lift it up a bit but don't want to destroy the new CVs and don't want to go to 930s since the current ones are brand new. Currently the axle angles are 9 degrees on flat ground unloaded. Assuming most miles will be driven unloaded what is the upper limit of the axle angle before the CV's lifespan starts to reduced????
vwcanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is an old thread ... but did it ever help me today. Thanks for the great instructions and pics patayres!

One thing to add ... when putting in the bolts to secure the hub back to the end of the spring plate, start with the 2 captive bolts followed by the 2 nut and bolts that go through the spring plate and hub. I spent 30 minutes doing it the other way around. It only took sconds to get them threaded this way.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwcanuck wrote:

One thing to add ... when putting in the bolts to secure the hub back to the end of the spring plate, start with the 2 captive bolts followed by the 2 nut and bolts that go through the spring plate and hub. I spent 30 minutes doing it the other way around. It only took sconds to get them threaded this way.

Thanks for that. I don't remember how I did my left side a while ago, but the right side was quick when I did it your way today.

Just a heads up for those who read these threads for fun- It is probably worth replacing your torsion bushings even if you don't plan on resetting the spring plate angle. Here are my used ones, notice the wear on the left bushing. The right bushing looks like that on the back, but ok on the visible side (for comparison.) When I took the plate cover off, rubber shards and powder came pouring out. 98k documented original miles on the chassis. I didn't hear any squeaks or grinds beforehand, but I had the bushings on my shelf and thought it would be fun Brick wall

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Page 6 of 16

Jump to: