Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Spring Plate Angle/Torsion Bar Adjustment (Pics Added)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dogo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mellow Yellow 74 wrote:
will report back on how I went

Please do. It would be interesting to see how it works out. I hope it does.
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mellow Yellow 74 wrote:
On the passenger side I want to come up about 15mm and the closest is 3 splines in either direction to give 13.6mm

On the driver side I want to come up about 38mm and the closest is 8 splines in either direction to give 36.2mm

I did the above adjustments and installed new bushings to replace the really worn ones and it gave me a lift of around 30mm on both sides - the 8 splines on the driver side was a bit less than I wanted but the 3 splines on the passenger side was way too much so I ended up redoing it with only one spline adjustment on the passenger side.

It has not lifted as much as I was hoping but it has taken some of the sag out and the two sides are level to within 5mm so this is good enough for me. The bushings were so worn the torsion bars were rubbing on the covers which explains why it was squeaking so much.
Otis2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great thread with such a wealth of information. So the '71 Westy tin top I am working on, new to us, sits very high of the ground. 25 " as measured at the upper edge of the rear wheel wells. Looking at the spring plate it rests on the lower stop and on both side the stops are worn. Determined to replace the bushings after hard klanging noise, metal on metal was heard going over light bumps in the road. Starting at the driver side I am now there where after making al sorts of reference mark The spring plate is relaxed and hanging down past the stop to an amazing 37 and half degrees as measured against the frame of the car! The body is straight and with virtually now rust. Had been garaged for 13 years prior to taking it over. Is this an indication the torsion bar is weak? The outer bushing is badly worn on the up side as if the torsion bar/spring plate only pushed up, half" off center upward. The inside bushing is lubbed out. Do I just set it all back to 23 degrees? Any help is appreciated. Bert
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Otis2 wrote:
What a great thread with such a wealth of information. So the '71 Westy tin top I am working on, new to us, sits very high of the ground. 25 " as measured at the upper edge of the rear wheel wells. Looking at the spring plate it rests on the lower stop and on both side the stops are worn. Determined to replace the bushings after hard klanging noise, metal on metal was heard going over light bumps in the road. Starting at the driver side I am now there where after making al sorts of reference mark The spring plate is relaxed and hanging down past the stop to an amazing 37 and half degrees as measured against the frame of the car! The body is straight and with virtually now rust. Had been garaged for 13 years prior to taking it over. Is this an indication the torsion bar is weak? The outer bushing is badly worn on the up side as if the torsion bar/spring plate only pushed up, half" off center upward. The inside bushing is lubbed out. Do I just set it all back to 23 degrees? Any help is appreciated. Bert

It is an indication that some PO wanted the rear of their ride to be way up in the air and nothing more. Check the condition of your bushings and if they are obviously bad then replace them and then bring you spring plate angle down to spec and you should be good to go.
Otis2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks 'wildthings', that's encouraging. So now that the new bushings have arrived, I obtained four to do both sides, I look at these. All four are the same so they are good for either inner or outer application. There are two nipples, slightly raised at '12 o'clock and four o'clock or at thirds on the rim of the wider side of the bushing. Are these orientation point, which I suspect as they don't look like injection points? And if so in what way?
I have reset my spring plate at 24 degrees and indeed I can almost place the plate on the lower rest stop. Eager to move on.
Bert
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Otis2 wrote:
Thanks 'wildthings', that's encouraging. So now that the new bushings have arrived, I obtained four to do both sides, I look at these. All four are the same so they are good for either inner or outer application. There are two nipples, slightly raised at '12 o'clock and four o'clock or at thirds on the rim of the wider side of the bushing. Are these orientation point, which I suspect as they don't look like injection points? And if so in what way?
I have reset my spring plate at 24 degrees and indeed I can almost place the plate on the lower rest stop. Eager to move on.
Bert

I don't think it matters how the aftermarket bushings are installed. IIRC two of the original bushing did need to be clocked, but such bushing are not available any more to the best of my knowledge.

Last edited by Wildthings on Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Otis2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, went ahead, with the talc powder new bushings went in with out a hitch.
Ride is now even and without the metal frame, lower stop hits.
thanks for the help.
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta save this thread for sure. I am going to us polyurethane bushings instead of rubber.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khalimadeath wrote:
Gotta save this thread for sure. I am going to us polyurethane bushings instead of rubber.

Haven't seen polyurethane bushing for a bus. Do you have a source?
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
khalimadeath wrote:

Yup! http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1769409
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
khalimadeath wrote:

Haven't seem poly either. You can have them machined out of Delrin.

Post if you find them
Tcash
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khalimadeath wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
khalimadeath wrote:

Cool, thanks for the link
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khalimadeath wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
khalimadeath wrote:

Two questions. Why would they not sell them as a set of four instead of two? And will they have the same squeaking issues that is so common with these bushing in front beams and such?
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
khalimadeath wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
khalimadeath wrote:

Two questions. Why would they not sell them as a set of four instead of two? And will they have the same squeaking issues that is so common with these bushing in front beams and such?

Maybe so you can just do the rear? In the ad it claims to rid of the squeaking.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khalimadeath wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
khalimadeath wrote:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1769409

And will they have the same squeaking issues that is so common with these bushing in front beams and such?

I'm not sure what squeaking in the front end would be caused and cured by bushings, other than shock bushings or sway bar bushings. Certainly not any torsion suspension components… Our buses use quality bearings, not those garbage red things you find in blister packs in buggy shops.

Sure, the ad says they get rid of squeaking…***

***…if you install them correctly. The proper original bushings ALSO get rid of squeaking if you install them correctly. These will squeak if you don't coat them in REAL TALCUM POWDER. Not the cornstarch powder, not the synthetic stuff either. Real. Talc. (Fragrance gets a pass, but if there are ANY other ingredients, look elsewhere.)

Sometimes it's not the arrow, it's the Indian…

Also, khalimadeath, there are FOUR bushings required to just do the rear.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that polyurethane bushing are quite popular for a Bug, but do they preform better and last longer than a set of OEM quality rubber bushings?
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khalimadeath wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
khalimadeath wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
khalimadeath wrote:

There are four bushings back there, two on each side.

These bushings are used in beetles, and the same material is used for narrowed beam bushings and such when original parts are not available. From what I understand, they have a tendency to squeak. I have heard them rolling slowly into a show and s-q-u-e-a-k over speed bumps. Not sure what the cure for that is.

I agree with the post about using real talc on rubber bushings. Not sure if it has the same lubricating effect on urethane bushings.
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
khalimadeath wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
khalimadeath wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
khalimadeath wrote:

There are four bushings back there, two on each side.

These bushings are used in beetles, and the same material is used for narrowed beam bushings and such when original parts are not available. From what I understand, they have a tendency to squeak. I have heard them rolling slowly into a show and s-q-u-e-a-k over speed bumps. Not sure what the cure for that is.

I agree with the post about using real talc on rubber bushings. Not sure if it has the same lubricating effect on urethane bushings.

Ive had urethane bushings on other vehicles and not had any squeaking. Ill be the guinea pig.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khalimadeath wrote:

Ive had urethane bushings on other vehicles and not had any squeaking. Ill be the guinea pig.

Cool. keep us posted on how they fit.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:25 am    Post subject: Torsion Bar sizes Reply with quote

Rear torsion bar sizes mysteries and disinformation
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Page 8 of 16

Jump to: