Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Won't start when warmed up
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MGBBob80
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:44 pm    Post subject: Won't start when warmed up Reply with quote

Greetings all,

I'm in the process of bringing Buddy back to life following 20 months of being off the road. He is still a stock '78. 20 months ago I replaced the EFI wiring harness with one manufactured by Kyle Automotive Specialties. Fast forward to a motorcycle wreck and I've been a bit laid up and just starting to get back to normal.

Anyway, Buddy starts just fine when cold and I've run him around the neighborhood (~4 miles) on a couple of occasions. Problem is that he won't restart when the engine is hot. Turns over nicely, but not even a hint of firing. I've waited upwards of an hour with no success. Let him sit for a day or two and he's ready to go.

I've checked the TS-2 temperature sensor and it appears to be good (resistance corresponded to temperature nicely).

I have both the Bentley manual and the Bosch manual for the L-Jet EFI and I'd sure appreciate some friendly advice on how to proceed figuring this one out.

1978 Type 2 Transporter. 2L engine (engine code GE), Fuel Injection, 4-speed manual transmission.His name is Buddy.

"I reserve the right to be better tomorrow than I am today."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Won't start when warmed up Reply with quote

And this has all started after replacing the harness?, do you get the same TS2 Ohm readings at terminal #13 in the big plug for the ECU?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Won't start when warmed up Reply with quote

When the engine is cold, the thermo time switch sends a shot of gas in for start. When the engine is warm the thermo time switch doesn’t. This makes me think that your engine is running on the lean side and needs that shot of gas from the fifth injector. So, look for vacuum leaks. A smoke test might help
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Won't start when warmed up Reply with quote

What is your distributor set up?

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Yesterday 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Won't start when warmed up Reply with quote

Check to see if you swapped the cold start injector plug and the AAR plug on the FI harness.

is that a thing?

maybe your just getting way too much fuel and the cold start injector is firing constantly from the AAR voltage.
MGBBob80
Samba Member

PostPosted: Yesterday 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Won't start when warmed up Reply with quote

Good morning all,

Many thanks for the replies! In the hopes of keeping this thread as short as possible I am including my responses to all of you below:

Busdaddy: I do not know but will check.

Aeromech: Will do, thanks!

Xevin, Distributor is OEM with points and condenser.

Aircooledchris, Will do!

1978 Type 2 Transporter. 2L engine (engine code GE), Fuel Injection, 4-speed manual transmission.His name is Buddy.

buckswilde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Yesterday 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Won't start when warmed up Reply with quote

Swap out the condenser and see if that helps. Quick and simple. I've seen it many times with hot start issues.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Yesterday 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Won't start when warmed up Reply with quote

buckswilde wrote:
Swap out the condenser and see if that helps. Quick and simple. I've seen it many times with hot start issues.

That’s where I was going. If no change, you have a back up condenser in the bus. Buy the Napa Echelon condensers or NOS. Just not a new Bosch condenser.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
MGBBob80
Samba Member

PostPosted: Yesterday 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Won't start when warmed up Reply with quote

Great info on the condensers. I'm currently running Napa Echelon, but easy enough to swap out. Honestly speaking, I've considered swapping over to a Pertronix to eliminate points and condenser, but just haven't been able to take that step quite yet. Bought a MG that I still drive with one and it did fine, but ultimately swapped back to points/condenser. And yes, I do ramble on a bit...

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Today 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Won't start when warmed up Reply with quote

After sitting for that long, I would dose the fuel with a goodly amount of FI cleaner for each tank of fuel until the problem goes away. My 91 Vanagon went down with a full load of fuel and then sat for three years before I got it going again, it took about 70 tanks of fuel before the last of the gum from the deteriorating ethanol in the tank was fully cleaned out. A half quart of synthetic oil added to a full tank of fuel will keep the injectors lubricated so they will not stick shut during a hot restart as well.
MGBBob80
Samba Member

PostPosted: Today 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Won't start when warmed up Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
After sitting for that long, I would dose the fuel with a goodly amount of FI cleaner for each tank of fuel until the problem goes away. My 91 Vanagon went down with a full load of fuel and then sat for three years before I got it going again, it took about 70 tanks of fuel before the last of the gum from the deteriorating ethanol in the tank was fully cleaned out. A half quart of synthetic oil added to a full tank of fuel will keep the injectors lubricated so they will not stick shut during a hot restart as well.

Copy all, thanks! Appreciate the support!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: