Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1959 36 hp simple engine rebuild
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
embussee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:30 am    Post subject: 1959 36 hp simple engine rebuild Reply with quote

I bought a 1959 beetle chassis with the original 36hp engine and swing axel tranny. Its been sitting for forever locked up and exposed to the elements. I 've been reading the posts and looking for a rebuild kit and from what i can tell they are pretty much none existent anymore. I just want to keep it simple, reliable, uncomplicated father son project. Should I ditch it and go to to a 1600? Any advice appreciated?
58Dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There may not be "kits"...but you should be able to find all the parts available that you need. It depends on what you want in the end....I'm putting a 36hp together right now....and its not any cheaper to do than a 1600....but I like the look of the stock engine..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bart Dunn
Samba Consiglieri

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a great article from HVWs or one of the other mag's about rebuilds on a 36hp. Hank Ruder? Something like that--the author's name. Search on here and you'll find it--someone has it scanned onto their website.

Edit: Hank Roed, VW Trends, July, 1998 and subsequent months. PM me your e-mail address and I can e-mail you a copy.

Or, click on the links in this thread for the article.

Last edited by Bart Dunn on Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
embussee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys, I thought I had it bought but the chassis was to far gone for me.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: