Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW bug engine not starting.
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
trevelline
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:45 pm    Post subject: VW bug engine not starting. Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I just pulled my dune buggy out of the garage today and had some fun in it until I got some bad results.

I started it up for the first time in 1 year. It started up pretty easy with some fresh gas puffing some smoke out the tail pipe. I drove around for a while and it was really slacking it had no power at all. When I got back to my house I went to the rear, and twisted the distributor to adjust the timing. It started to run a bit better. I took it for another quick drive and it had way more power. Then all of a sudden the engine gained 100 rpm then died. I pulled the plugs and first noticed they are black. Im guessing the engine is running to rich. So I cleaned it off then had my buddy turn the engine over, and the plugs were getting no spark. I'm guessing my condenser or coil went out. What would have caused that to happen. I did not have the coil mounted I just had it laying up against the exhaust. Please help me to fix this I don't want to keep blowing plugs. Also the tachometer works sometimes others it does not. Any reasons it would do that?

Thanks,

Joe
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: VW bug engine not starting. Reply with quote

trevelline wrote:
I went to the rear, and twisted the distributor to adjust the timing. It started to run a bit better.

When you reached down and gave it a twist, is it possible it came up out of the drive dogs? When you take the cap off and turn the motor over is the rotor turning?

Anyway, get a real shop manual and give it a full step by step tune up. It needs one badly. If you keep randomly twisting and turning stuff, it will never run worth a damn
Smyrnaguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Points are closed. File them or replace them. Set the gap. Drive.
Baja68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

x2
My Build Page http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3852984&highlight=#3852984
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: