Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Who's installed an 091 Transmission in an early Bay?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter,
So what you're saying is that your 1979 bus doesn't have a 6 rib, it has a 3?

You should first try to loosen the gear shifter bolts to the floor and then try sliding the base aft. I believe this might help not hit the parking brake handle.

Also, I installed a 6 rib into a 1968 bus and never experienced any issue with the tranny being to far forward causing a problem with the linkage or shifter. The 091 I installed had an early nose cone (because the forward mounts are different) as well as an early bell housing (because the starters are different). Using the early bell housing made the tranny's entire length a bit shorter and allowed for the use of the stock mustache bar.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just as an FYI - I had an 091 in a 1600 with dual carbs and a nice cam. Hated it. The tall 4th gearing holds the engine RPM down so every little hill one hits it is downshift into 3rd. You need a 2L motor to make the best of the gearing in a late 091 whereas you need the RPM to get the HP out of a 1600 - 1800. That is my advice.
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Peter, you have the wrong trans. It will not give your engine it's full potential providing you have a 2.0. The 1700 T-4 ran a 002 and the later 1800 ran a modified 002 (5 rib). With the 002 your top speed will be slower than if you had an 091, you will run out of gear sooner.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark,
What are you trying to say?
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That 3 rib is HUGE!
rustbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 2:12 pm    Post subject: 091 trans is exactly 10mm longer Reply with quote

I found the 091 trans is exactly 10mm longer.

i compared front shift rods, the later 091 front shift rod is 10mm shorter to accommodate the longer trans.

I simply drilled a new hole 10mm further forward to connect the front rod to the long rear rod section

beetlepete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember its the journey. Breathe out .....

Thanks Everyone. I am not so concerned with HP. I would rather the better gearing with the 091 to make the most of Highway speeds and gas mileage.

That said I guess I'm in the market for a rebuilt, professionally, 091 6-rib. I did a quick search on the samba and found a few in the 500 to 850 price range. But without a history I can't tell how is an old vw factory worker, or who is a 13 year old who fancies themselves an auto mechanic. I live on the East coast, yes I know, but am willing to have one shipped from the West. If I get a used one off the samba, who should I have do the rebuild? ie. will use German parts.

Who or what companies are good and worth a look. Having a warrantee is probably a good idea, yes?

Thanks for your input
Peter
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I would rather the better gearing

"Better gearing" is subjective. I would not want the 091 gearing in anything except a 2.0L again because it was a PITA every single small grade I came to I had to downshift. What I used to fly up I found myself wound out in 3rd and limited to 3rd gear top speed - that or 3rd 4th 3rd 4th 3rd 4th up what used to be 4th all the way. On the other hand you may enjoy that 3rd 4th 3rd 4th 3rd 4th stuff. Get a 2L engine to go with that 091.
bigbore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve I quit trying to convince people of stuff like this awhile ago give them the facts like you did and move on let them find out for them selfs.
beetlepete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Quote:
I would rather the better gearing

"Better gearing" is subjective. I would not want the 091 gearing in anything except a 2.0L again because it was a PITA every single small grade I came to I had to downshift. What I used to fly up I found myself wound out in 3rd and limited to 3rd gear top speed - that or 3rd 4th 3rd 4th 3rd 4th up what used to be 4th all the way. On the other hand you may enjoy that 3rd 4th 3rd 4th 3rd 4th stuff. Get a 2L engine to go with that 091.

Steve, Yes I know that the constant down/up shifting can be a drag, but I don't drive it everyday, we go camping, sometimes long distance.
More importantly, the bus has the 2L engine so yes I want 091 to push us along.

Peter
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i thought about a 091 swap in my single cab. but with a 1600 with unknown miles on it, i changed my mind. you are not going to gain anything with a timid 1600.

a good stroker would be money better spent. or, build a engine to match the hp and tq of a 2L then do the swap. i think if you do it, you will want to kick a puppy.

the gearing will magnify a gutless 1600

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
VDubTech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete I messaged you about the 6 rib I have in a '75 I just brought home this past weekend. Good tranny, I've driven the Bus it's in. If you plan to come for a visit if you want we could do the swap right here. Sent you a pm already.
a measurement of your rod would be extremely useful.

notchboy wrote:
my dad wasnt a belittling cock when he tought me how to wrench on cars.

EverettB wrote:
One photo = good for reference.
10 photos = douchebaggery
nathansnathan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been rolling with an early 4th, late R&P for years. This makes for a final gearing taller even than an 091, 3.752 vs 091's 4.064 or the stock 002's 4.413. I am using the 091 nosecone for smoother shifting. \

The motor is just a 1.8, but with 1.7 heads. Almost every bit of the motor has been 'upgraded' though, besides the tiny valves. It has its quirks, and it does feel sluggish like in 1st, compared to stock I am thinking of going back, but having got used to it, it may be hard, all that revving and noise at like 65.
baylovr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello all...
not to barge in but I'm having problems hoping for help. I have a 74 westy that I want to put a 76 (091) trans into. I bought the 76 engine (2L) and trans out of a wrecked bus and it came with the starter. I have my old 5 rib (slips out of first) and when the two are side by side it is about 1\4" longer. I tried to put it in as is and it wont go into gear. Pulled it back out and took it to local vw shop and still waiting for answers??? Here is my best plan so far... Swap the bell housing because the clutch cable arm seems to sit at a little bit of a different angle (5\8") When i tried this new trans the nut bottomed out and my old one was about middle. I suppose I need to use my old starter? The second part of the plan is to do the idea above, drilling new whole in the shift rod.

Here is my question in short... How do I get a 76 engine with a 76 trans to fit in my 74 bus?
I have been doing a lot of reading and there is a lot of great info here! Cant find this problem answered. Any help would be appreciated!
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 76 trans and engine, are you sure it is a 2000cc engine? I just looked and discovered mine is a 6 rib but isn't the motor in a 76 a 1800? Anyways I might put the 6 rib into my 68 so I need answers too. Cool
1961 Swivel Seat camper, L345 grey
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
Swivel Seat panels are for people with no friends Crying or Very sad
baylovr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 10:54 pm    Post subject: to Reply with quote

i will check the numbers on the block tomorrow and call the PO for info. does it matter if its not a 2L (Besides the power,cooling issues with a six rib)?
It appears everything is the same externally between a 5 rib and a six rib except the length of the gearbox part, between the nosecone and trans. I assume that cant be swapped. Also the starter mount and the ribs are different of course but they don't add to the length. when i had it installed it seemed to not have enough room to slide the shift rod far enough?
bigbore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't matter if you have a 2L or not its the clutch is it a 228mm if it is then you will have to run the bell housing that came with the 6 rib and the starter as for fitting the trany it has been covered many times before.
baylovr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the response bigbore but i have another question. First some info...I bought this trans with starter and engine out 76 bus and it came all together and I believe the seller that it all worked. I put the used new stuff in and could not get it to shift right? The engine started up fine but would not go into gear? Note. My clutch cable adjustment was bottomed out on the new set up, before the old wing nut was in the middle.
Any way here is my new plan that i have been told by a 25 year Vw mechanic... Use my old 74 bellhousing with the 74 starter, which means I will need to swap my old flywheel off my 74 engine. Hook all this onto to the 091 six rib and I should be good to go.
Any info would be great! I am starting in on this tomorrow.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

baylovr wrote:
thanks for the response bigbore but i have another question. First some info...I bought this trans with starter and engine out 76 bus and it came all together and I believe the seller that it all worked. I put the used new stuff in and could not get it to shift right? The engine started up fine but would not go into gear? Note. My clutch cable adjustment was bottomed out on the new set up, before the old wing nut was in the middle.
Any way here is my new plan that i have been told by a 25 year Vw mechanic... Use my old 74 bellhousing with the 74 starter, which means I will need to swap my old flywheel off my 74 engine. Hook all this onto to the 091 six rib and I should be good to go.
Any info would be great! I am starting in on this tomorrow.

you'll make it work - just hang in there and keep track of your hours. You'll make it happen even if it takes the rest of your vacation

Last edited by SGKent on Sat May 18, 2013 12:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: