Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

sleeping bags
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
theadventureneverends
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:15 pm    Post subject: sleeping bags Reply with quote

Aloha

I tried the Adam and Eve sleeping bags from Cabelas bad mistake. I washed them delicate in our commercial front loader on delicate cold. They came apart in pieces and went back to cabelas.

Our backpacking ones are REI 15 degree mummy but the feet do not touch makes spooning a little unpleasant.

We are still acclimated to Hawaii and Hate being cold our road trips take us anywherewhere at anytime. I am hoping for 0 degree bags that we will leave in the Westy. REI is a plus to us. Does anyone have any suggestions?

We do have the little buddy and if this recession ends hopefully a propex.

Thank you for your time
John
akgp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just looking at one today on REI's website that looked like what you are describing except +20 not 0 degree. I haven't tried it, but I was thinking it would be great for the wife and I to use in the westy.

http://www.rei.com/product/763724
Antron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For cold weather bags try
www.armygear.net
of course they are a one person bag/ but they will keep you very warm
chimivee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

akgp wrote:
I was just looking at one today on REI's website that looked like what you are describing except +20 not 0 degree. I haven't tried it, but I was thinking it would be great for the wife and I to use in the westy.

http://www.rei.com/product/763724

There are also some "double mummy" bag options at REI and others... +15º or so.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
J Charlton Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:40 pm    Post subject: sleeping bags Reply with quote

I have a Woods bag that is rated down to -40 (same C as F) . Actually it is a two bag system. The inner bag by itself is rated to (I think) 30F and the outer (thicker) bag, by itself down to -20F. Put the lighter one nside the outer and its good down to -40. What we do is to zip them together and, depending on how cold it is, either the lighter bag is on top, or the heavier one.
Check your army surplus store for Arctic double bag systems. I think that Woods made the bags for the US and Canadian military for Arctic use.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Orbitald
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not go for the down comforter? I have two and must say they kept me quite warm before I installed the webasto diesel heater.
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a queen size down comforter
http://tinyurl.com/yfqupg4
and duvet set
http://tinyurl.com/yjew892

I like to cover my head with the down pillows when I camp in the van at ski areas.

Though I have a Propex, I sleep with it off, once under the down it makes no difference.

be careful with the Heater Buddy, it is not safe to use in a sealed Van, nor while sleeping..
powderedwaters
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking from the great white (green) north, the down comforter is the bees knees, throw in a fleece blanket or two and you'll be in spoon heaven.
snuf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the time two sleeping bags that are the same(MFG., Model#) can be zipped together for two people to fit in. If you use that to factor in the type you want , your choices of bags will be greater.
The choice of oversize sleeping bags are less, but if there is one that suits your needs and you zip two oversize bags together you can probably get the equilivant space of a queen size bed.

I have been using the Coleman Big Game sleeping bag Model No. 2000000100 and have plenty of room to toss and turn and it's long enough to cover your head. Keeps you comfortable down to minus 5º, Super king size sleeping bag, 40' x 84

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.a...amp;brand=
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use a down comforter above and one underneath us. One time we forgot the second comforter and had a sheet beneath us. This showed what an incredible difference the down comforter beneath us makes. I have -30 Celsius mummy bags for backpacking, but they aren't needed when we use the down comforters.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use a couple of these (albeit an older model) zipped together. The flannel is comfortable and they work well on the Westy bed:

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___85291

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Badger278
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Kelty Lunar from REI.

Pros: it becomes two single bags. It's warm
Cons: It's a little too wide for the pop-top, it's way too big rolled up and isn't compressible.

Space being my number one issue, I prefer a high tech camping blanket

http://www.rei.com/product/788054 or http://www.rei.com/product/781188

2012 Carrera 4 GTS
2006 Jeep LJ
2010 BMW R1200GSA

Gone but not forgotten: 2010 BMW Z4, 2008 Audi A4 Avant S-Line Ti APR, 2000 Eurovan Westy Weekender, 1999 Eurovan MV Weekender, 2007 Audi A3 S-Line, 1971 Porsche 914 2.0, 1973 Type-3 Fastback, 1972 Type-3 Squareback, 1988 GTI 16V
SSWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Install a propex heater and your quest for a sleep bag will end:-)

I'd go for a zero degree bag and use it like a comforter. I'd pick one with nylon outer shell to shed water and comfy flannel inside. Adding some insulation could also help in combination with hanging a blanket up to block off the cab.

Steve
tomkay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Montbell Super Stretch zero degree bags are a cozy silky dreamy nights rest but for the price of a couple of those a propex could be had. Bags might be a little more "versatile" than a installed heater, but you can't drive your bag anywhere.
tomkay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Montbell Super Stretch zero degree bags are a cozy silky dreamy nights rest but for the price of a couple of those a propex could be had. Bags might be a little more "versatile" than a installed heater, but you can't drive your bag anywhere.
Orbitald
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget the hat. When it gets really cold it nice to have a warm comfy hat to keep your head warm.
pb24ss
Samba Member

Location: sitting around the fire with the bluegrass band - colorado

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a kelty double-wide bag. It's huge! It's nice though. Since installing the espar airtronic we can sleep with light blankets though.

Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The selection on a sleeping bag is totally dependent on the temp range you plan on camping in. A bag that may be wonderful in the winter is oppressively hot in the summer. I would float the suggestion that it may be more practicable to get a bag set up for the summer and supplement with a down comforter in the winter. I do like the flannel lined bags, I have a Columbia double and a couple of singles, with this cozy lining. They are big squares or rectangle cut bags (depending on the size). I found mine on a closeout sale and have been happy ever since.

Personally, I have found heating the van to be problematic. So I heat just before settling down for the night and right after wake up. That way I don't have to deal with whatever gasses may or may not be produced, outside of mammalian digestive byproduct gasses. Layering your sleeping gear is as important as you clothing in the winter, you have many more options.
08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mtac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wiggy's
Been using these for 20+ years. Never been cold.
Bomb proof, washable, mate able, can combine with other models. Made in USA.
http://wiggys.com/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=63
windnsea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good deal on 3 new and 1 ‘almost’ new sleeping bags:

Just before Christmas I bought 4 new US Army Modular Sleep Systems (MSS) and an extra Bivy Cover (part of each MSS) at a bulk price in order to get one MSS for myself. As a result, I have 3 new MSS’ and also a (used twice) US Army M1949 Extreme Cold Weather Down Bag (with an MSS Bivy Cover) available for anyone interested. I’m 6’2” tall, and both bags fit me okay.

The price would be what I paid ($US 115 for each MSS, $US 105 for the M1949 bag/Bivy Cover) plus shipping UPS Ground from zip code 91107 for 10 pounds (approx. $US 1Cool. Contact me at [email protected] if interested.

Check them out on the internet at US Army Surplus Suppliers – you can’t beat this price!
- Here’s some information on the two systems:

Modular Sleeping System

The Modular Sleeping Bag System is current issue in the early 2000s. It is a four-component system:
• Sleeping Bag, Patrol (30 to 50 deg F), MSS Green NSN 8465-01-398-0685
• Sleeping Bag, Intermediate (30 to -10 deg F), CW, MSS Black NSN 8465-01-398-0687
• Compression Stuff Sack, Black NSN 8465-01-398-5428
• Bivy Cover, Woodland Camo, Camo NSN 8465-01-416-8517

The four components can be ordered together by the single number NSN 8465-01-395-1154.

Colder temperatures can be managed by using multiple components, hence the name MSS. Putting the Patrol and the Intermediate sleeping bags together provides insulation to at least minus 30 degrees Fahrenheit for a soldier dressed in polypropylene expedition weight undershirt, drawers and cushion socks. Protection to minus 50 degrees Fahrenheit is possible for a user wearing various layers of ECW clothing inside both bags.

Updated model of the M-1949 Mummy Bag – Extreme Cold Weather
In the 1970s the M-1949 sleeping bag was replaced by a new system of sleeping bags, still very close in design to the M-1949 Mountain bag. These were the Bag, Sleeping, Intermediate Cold Weather (ICW) and Bag, Sleeping, Extreme Cold Weather (ECW). The ECW bag is rated at -20 deg. F and is Down Filled.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: