Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'58/'59 Beetle Discussion
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 115, 116, 117 ... 146, 147, 148  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since no one has posted anything here for a while I thought I would put something up:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Don
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice car but, as a Bus guy, I admit to being distracted by the 2 Barndoor Single Cabs in the background.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ExtremeBean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've enjoyed reading all 116 pages of this thread. It's made me even more proud of my 59. I do have a couple of questions though.

1) PO replaced the steering wheel and turn signal switch with ones of a later model. So, could the column still be original, or are the splines different?

2) I've seen all original 59s with the square later model fuel gauge. From what I've read, this not correct. So was it something people have just added years later?

3) which is the correct shifter? I've seen both the totally straight and ones that are curved? What is the history between the two?

4) On quite a few birth certificates, I've noticed where it says "option cannot be identified". This would kind of tick me off if I paid $70 for a bc. What does it mean, it can't be identified? Isn't there a list somewhere where every single option code is available?

That's all I have for now. Thanks for the answers and the thread. I'm sure I'll have more later
AustenFults500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 6:32 pm    Post subject: Seat Swap In a '58 Reply with quote

Hello fellow enthusiasts!

This is my first time posting a question to the Samba ever, so I apologize if I don't follow protocol. Haha

I am currently restoring my 1958 Beetle. A new two-toned paint job just got applied and I am preparing to work on the upholstery and seats now. However, when I bought the little car, there was no back seat and both of the front two seats were not original, but instead they were jimmy-rigged racing seats that were bolted straight to the floor pans. Sad

Now that I have the little car, I would like to have a pair of seats that utilized the original seat rails that are on the floor. However, I do not need to have the original '58 seats to replace it with. I have heard of seat swapping between bug years, but I have never found a straight-up list of what seats are compatible with what cars up to what year.

Recently I have traveled to a junkyard and looked inside some bugs for their seat frames, but the oldest bug that is in the yard is a '68 or '69. Its seat frames are in excellent condition. I took some measurements of the seats and their rails and at this point they seem interchangeable, but I may be wrong and that is where I need you guys.

So my question is: Are the seat frames in the '68 or '69 bug compatible with my "58? If not are there any modifications that I can make to the seat frames to make them fit? Up to what year will I be able to swap seats with my '58?

Thanks in advance for your input and thoughts, everyone! Very Happy
Bret2094
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Seat Swap In a '58 Reply with quote

AustenFults500 wrote:
Hello fellow enthusiasts!

This is my first time posting a question to the Samba ever, so I apologize if I don't follow protocol. Haha

I am currently restoring my 1958 Beetle. A new two-toned paint job just got applied and I am preparing to work on the upholstery and seats now. However, when I bought the little car, there was no back seat and both of the front two seats were not original, but instead they were jimmy-rigged racing seats that were bolted straight to the floor pans. Sad

Now that I have the little car, I would like to have a pair of seats that utilized the original seat rails that are on the floor. However, I do not need to have the original '58 seats to replace it with. I have heard of seat swapping between bug years, but I have never found a straight-up list of what seats are compatible with what cars up to what year.

Recently I have traveled to a junkyard and looked inside some bugs for their seat frames, but the oldest bug that is in the yard is a '68 or '69. Its seat frames are in excellent condition. I took some measurements of the seats and their rails and at this point they seem interchangeable, but I may be wrong and that is where I need you guys.

So my question is: Are the seat frames in the '68 or '69 bug compatible with my "58? If not are there any modifications that I can make to the seat frames to make them fit? Up to what year will I be able to swap seats with my '58?

Thanks in advance for your input and thoughts, everyone! Very Happy

The seat frames out of a 68 and 69 will fit in your car, but they are no where close to correct. Starting in 68 the seats went from a low back configuration to a high back configuration that included support from about your shoulders up to the middle of your back.( Ugly as sin in my opinion )There are also many other changes post 59 that set them apart as well. I would search the classifieds or put up an ad for some 58-59 seats

Bret
1962 Karmann Ghia
1967 beetle( august 66, first car)
1967 beetle (parts car)

1977 Westfalia Camper

1972 Plymouth Duster

Just another 22 year old jackass who caught the bug, and lives by the motto " NO fatchicks allowed" , I've got too many cars as is (buses N/A)
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ExtremeBean wrote:
I've enjoyed reading all 116 pages of this thread. It's made me even more proud of my 59. I do have a couple of questions though.

1) PO replaced the steering wheel and turn signal switch with ones of a later model. So, could the column still be original, or are the splines different?
If the column was changed out for a post 60 model, then the splines are different. And no, unless you car is a 60, or newer, there is no way for the wheel, switch, or column to be correct.

2) I've seen all original 59s with the square later model fuel gauge. From what I've read, this not correct. So was it something people have just added years later?
There was an electric square style available as an accessory, but more than likely yes, a mechanical one was added later on.

3) which is the correct shifter? I've seen both the totally straight and ones that are curved? What is the history between the two?
Im not sure about a totally straight one, but curved is up to 65. In 66 they went to a slimmer less curved model with a smaller knob as well.

4) On quite a few birth certificates, I've noticed where it says "option cannot be identified". This would kind of tick me off if I paid $70 for a bc. What does it mean, it can't be identified? Isn't there a list somewhere where every single option code is available?
Sometimes the factory no longer has the info for them to list. That said, I have seen some birth certificates that said cannot be identified, only to find another birth cert with that info on it. Its pretty hit of miss. Either way, im still happy that they even have birth certs available to us. Cool

That's all I have for now. Thanks for the answers and the thread. I'm sure I'll have more later

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KombiMadness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, 58/59 gurus...... would the blue/grey seat covers in my 58 RHD German deluxe be the original colour for a Kalahari Beige bug? The seat covers are obviously not original but would they have been like this from the factory?
What are your thoughts?

Another question - the car has been resprayed sometime long ago. It's looking splotchy in places. Assuming it was resprayed the same colour, which I think is Kalahari Beige, would it be hard to strip back the resprayed paint to get back to the factory paint (considering it's the same colour)?
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KombiMadness wrote:
OK, 58/59 gurus...... would the blue/grey seat covers in my 58 RHD German deluxe be the original colour for a Kalahari Beige bug? The seat covers are obviously not original but would they have been like this from the factory?
What are your thoughts?)

A Kalahari beige car from the factory would have K183 Red brown, upholstery, as well as KsK3 Brown-grey door panels. Blue grey was not used an an alternate either.

KombiMadness wrote:
Another question - the car has been resprayed sometime long ago. It's looking splotchy in places. Assuming it was resprayed the same colour, which I think is Kalahari Beige, would it be hard to strip back the resprayed paint to get back to the factory paint (considering it's the same colour)?

Yes, it can, and has been done before. You may want to check out this thread, before you decide to get to strippin. Cool

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=76072
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KombiMadness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi stale air, thanks for the info on the correct seat cover combo and trim.

Also, thanks for the paint strip thread link..... I have read that thread before and did remove some crappy top paint on my old 15 window bus to get back to the OG Sealing Wax Red.
What I meant was the extra difficulty of discerning between stripping down between 2 paint layers that are the same colour. Most of the buses on that thread are stripping a totally different colour to the underneath OG paint. This makes it much easier to see the new colour coming through. Whether you use oven cleaner, paint stripper, etc, the process gets all cloudy with the rubbing and product, making it hard to see even a different colour clearly as it starts to come through. With the same colour, I imagine it will be very difficult indeed to discern the old paint coming through, and hence stop stripping and get the caustic stripping agent off before it eats too much into the OG paint you're trying to save - if that makes sense?
To do the stripping process properly takes a lot of patience and time. That's for sure Smile Wink
RichardinNZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KombiMadness; is your car Australia built? If yes weren't your colours and interiors different to Germany as ours were the other side of the Tasman, so we can't necessarily look at what Germany did?

Edit: Just realised that you say it is German...!

'58/'59 Gurus; is the pattern on the seat typical of a German car? It is similar to the pattern on my Kiwi '58.

Thanks

Richard
My Car https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1750253
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KombiMadness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RichardinNZ wrote:
KombiMadness; is your car Australia built? If yes weren't your colours and interiors different to Germany as ours were the other side of the Tasman, so we can't necessarily look at what Germany did?

Edit: Just realised that you say it is German...!

'58/'59 Gurus; is the pattern on the seat typical of a German car? It is similar to the pattern on my Kiwi '58.

Thanks

Richard

Hi Richard,

Yes my bug was made in Germany RHD (probably intended for the UK market) but was exported to Australia. The PO before the guy I just bought it from, was an 80 year old man who had it since 1960! So it was new or near new when it arrived in Oz.

But you are correct, normally a '58 Aussie Beetle would've been a CKD assembled in Australia with different paint colors, trim and many other differences to German (European) or US export models.
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since no one has posted anything up here for a while I thought I would put something up.

Don

Last edited by sunroof on Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Don, we have an "after" pic yet? Laughing
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a during pic?

Don
Jgowin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sunroof wrote:

How about a during pic?

Don

I checked out your build thread, nice work!
Long-roofs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recent find in Idaho, '59 Mignonette. Parked in '88.

"No, I do not own a bleepin' leaf blower"

--
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long-roofs wrote:
Recent find in Idaho, '59 Mignonette. Parked in '88.

Nice car!!! I'm currently working on a original paint Mignonette car as well, I'll post up some pics.
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I'd post up my current project, and original paint Mignonette '59. This car is SUPER straight, and there isn't one single rust hole anywhere. The cool part about it is that is has all '58 parts. It has the '58 and earlier 4 tab hood, the '58 front clip area by the brake fluid reservoir, '58 only cigar ash tray, '58 and earlier rear seat bar supports, and the '58 and earlier rear seat stops. Here are some pics of when I got it, and the progress I've made so far....

jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had to section in some wiring, it had a small engine fire at some point, but didn't seem to hurt a lot except the wiring. I replaced it with factory wiring from a harness I pulled out of another '59 I had....

More progress pics....

Dash is buffing out nice....

Started stripping parts and painting....

I painted the tank black, but I may redo it gray like it's supposed to be...

Brakes are about done, all the drums are dated 58...

sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That drivers door looks better than I thought. Stud guns are amazing aren't they?

Don
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 115, 116, 117 ... 146, 147, 148  Next
Jump to:
Page 116 of 148

Jump to: