Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'58/'59 Beetle Discussion
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 116, 117, 118 ... 146, 147, 148  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sunroof wrote:
That drivers door looks better than I thought. Stud guns are amazing aren't they?

Don

They definitely are, but it's still pretty hammered lol.
Long-roofs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jays58s wrote:
Thought I'd post up my current project, and original paint Mignonette '59. This car is SUPER straight, and there isn't one single rust hole anywhere. The cool part about it is that is has all '58 parts. It has the '58 and earlier 4 tab hood, the '58 front clip area by the brake fluid reservoir, '58 only cigar ash tray, '58 and earlier rear seat bar supports, and the '58 and earlier rear seat stops. Here are some pics of when I got it, and the progress I've made so far....

Wow, that is a clean, solid '58. Cleaning up nice too.

"No, I do not own a bleepin' leaf blower"

--
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long-roofs wrote:
jays58s wrote:
Thought I'd post up my current project, and original paint Mignonette '59. This car is SUPER straight, and there isn't one single rust hole anywhere. The cool part about it is that is has all '58 parts. It has the '58 and earlier 4 tab hood, the '58 front clip area by the brake fluid reservoir, '58 only cigar ash tray, '58 and earlier rear seat bar supports, and the '58 and earlier rear seat stops. Here are some pics of when I got it, and the progress I've made so far....

Thanks! I'll post some more pictures as I put it back together.
Long-roofs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jays58s wrote:
Long-roofs wrote:
jays58s wrote:

Is your car late '58 model year, so it has '58 parts? Just wondering how long some of the '58 stuff went? Does it have the '58 sharp edge front turn signals?

"No, I do not own a bleepin' leaf blower"

--
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long-roofs wrote:
jays58s wrote:
Long-roofs wrote:
jays58s wrote:

Is your car late '58 model year, so it has '58 parts? Just wondering how long some of the '58 stuff went? Does it have the '58 sharp edge front turn signals?

It didn't have the turn signals on it when I got it, but I'm going to run them because everything on the car is '58 except the paint color. The car was built the first week of September '58. The '58 only turn signal housings I have are also dated September of '58 so I know they're correct. Terry, (Agave58) and I started doing research and Vw didn't even start building '59's until November of '58, I'll try to find the link to post it up.
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw it mentioned about the pvc seal under the ash tray housing and I now have proof and pics. My current '59 still had them so I took pics for reference for the thread. There are 3 total, the pic only shows 2 because one fell off but I reglued it back on after the picture. It looked like the yellow weather stripping adhesive because that's what looked like the factory used to glue them down. I have a few extras from my old "59 too if anyone needs measurements or anything.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
pbenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KombiMadness wrote:
OK, 58/59 gurus...... would the blue/grey seat covers in my 58 RHD German deluxe be the original colour for a Kalahari Beige bug? ?

Maybe the interior colours for L331 Horizon Blue? ('56-'57)
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pbenn wrote:
KombiMadness wrote:
OK, 58/59 gurus...... would the blue/grey seat covers in my 58 RHD German deluxe be the original colour for a Kalahari Beige bug? ?

Maybe the interior colours for L331 Horizon Blue? ('56-'57)

Kalahari beige came with red-brown/grey interior.
pbenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Seat Swap In a '58 Reply with quote

AustenFults500 wrote:
Up to what year will I be able to swap seats with my '58? Very Happy

Yes, you want to go back to stock seats, and you need to obtain used seat frames and new runners (tracks) to weld in. Reason bare frames are a lucky find is you can check the welds and sandblast them right away, without tearing down a pair of gross seats.

Many parts suppliers carry the runners... it's a normal Brz part as AFAIK. Seat frames used on the Samba, or from the many parts businesses or at the tables at a VW show. Or try these Dutch guys: http://www.paruzzi.com/webstore/

Once you paint the frames a correct colour, you burlap the springs, put in the lining (horsehair is better than foam, and more expensive) unpack your interior kit ($400 or so) and turn it inside out. Then you slide it on while unrolling it over a two-ended garbage bag, which you later remove.

Then you use hog ring pliers to finish it off.
pbenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ExtremeBean wrote:

1) PO replaced the steering wheel and turn signal switch with ones of a later model. So, could the column still be original, or are the splines different?

I did the late-to-early column swap on a '64 a long time ago so I know what you're up against.

The good news is that this column lived on in Europe till '67 as the euro Standard, and in Canada to at least '64 as the Canadian Custom. There may be some for sale out there, or at wreckers.

Also some postal vehicles used this column. It's as much longer (about 4") as the distance a '60-up "safety" wheel is dished--the rim's the same distance from your chest.

You might try paruzzi in Holland if you can't get one here. Early columns up to '59 were 24-spline. Later Canadian Custom flat black wheels were 48-spline! It is possible to force a 48 on a 24 as long as you're cool with deforming the 48's splines that way. You'll need a 27 or 29mm socket. You want a nice new wheel nut (try West Coast Metric, I guess). There should be one black wire sticking a little way out of the column, which is the hot for the horn. You'll probably need a new steering damper.

The previously rare 6-wire turn switch that you need is now remanufactured. It can take quite a while to figure out the hookup is you don't have a diagram. Eggshell taillights use a double filament bulb where one filament shares the brake and turn, hence one of the six wires goes to the turn signal sender and another goes to the brakelight switch on the master cylinder.

In order to make the horn work you'll need a brush and connection that sits midway on the outside of the column tube inside the car under the dash. (WCM). The horn is basically always on, but ungrounded until you button. The column itself becomes the ground through the steering box gears.
pbenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain wrote:
Stupid question probably, but what is the vents below rear window go too? On the exterior. It is filthy in there from all the past decades dust. Didn't know if I could just flush it with water. Sorry again.

Actually not a stupid question to bring it up, though, because it's a hard area to clean and a hard area to paint.

Yes it feeds the air. But if the last paint job was quick and dirty there'll be runs in there, or a different colour.
pbenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sunroof wrote:
I noticed that all the weldnusts on the car are the same except for the two frontmost ones for the fender mounts.
Don

The front ones are on the inside. The cutaway is for the fender bolts.
pbenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

owdlvr wrote:
The car came with a fine-spline steering wheel which I think is correct for the car. It's a flat (no dish), offset wheel like every other 58 or 59 I've seen with a factory wheel. The problem is the inside of the column, which is floating around with no bushings, has very course splines. The outer column is early (as evidenced by the carbon brush mount), but who knows on the inner. What should the splines be? Fine or Coarse? I need to determine if my column or wheel is incorrect so I can begin looking for correct parts to match one or the other!

-Dave

Probably ancient history by now, but your column is 24 spline and your wheel is 48, and they can be persuaded to match if you're cool with deforming the splines on the 48. You need a bushing at the top, as well as the horn parts.
pbenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5vert6 wrote:
According to the vin #'s here on theSamba it is still an oval built in April of '57.

FWIW, I remember reading of a discovery of a big-window '57 sedan a long while ago. Probably in Trends or Hot VWs, maybe in one of the Brits. Car was in the States.
fvracer27
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:19 pm    Post subject: 52 green-grey/ grey-green Cloth Interior Reply with quote

Can anyone point me to the best place to get a cloth interior kit for my August 1957 52 green-grey/grey-green

Also I would love to get some L 245 light bronze but I'm having trouble finding it.

Thanks for any help

58 Bug
Womer EV3 Formula Vee
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 52 green-grey/ grey-green Cloth Interior Reply with quote

fvracer27 wrote:
Can anyone point me to the best place to get a cloth interior kit for my August 1957 52 green-grey/grey-green

Also I would love to get some L 245 light bronze but I'm having trouble finding it.

Thanks for any help

http://www.classicvws.com/58-59_interior.htm
fvracer27
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 52 green-grey/ grey-green Cloth Interior Reply with quote

jays58s wrote:
fvracer27 wrote:

Thanks for any help

Thanks

Any less expensive options? classicvws do not list he cloth for 58-59

58 Bug
Womer EV3 Formula Vee
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 52 green-grey/ grey-green Cloth Interior Reply with quote

fvracer27 wrote:
jays58s wrote:
fvracer27 wrote:

Thanks for any help

Thanks

Lol, less expensive? Yeah, TMI, but it is not going to be 58-59 only interior, it'll be the same cheap and incorrect crap that everyone else runs. The company in the link I sent also carries the 58-59 only cloth interior for Euro models. If you want the correct interior, this company is your ONLY choice. Their interior is as close as you'll ever get unless you find nos interior and if you're wanting cheap, you'll be going back to the link I posted. Do yourself a favor and just spend the money once, or kick yourself later for not doing it right.
fvracer27
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 52 green-grey/ grey-green Cloth Interior Reply with quote

jays58s wrote:
fvracer27 wrote:
jays58s wrote:
fvracer27 wrote:

Thanks for any help

Thanks

Lol, less expensive? Yeah, TMI, but it is not going to be 58-59 only interior, it'll be the same cheap and incorrect crap that everyone else runs. The company in the link I sent also carries the 58-59 only cloth interior for Euro models. If you want the correct interior, this company is your ONLY choice. Their interior is as close as you'll ever get unless you find nos interior and if you're wanting cheap, you'll be going back to the link I posted. Do yourself a favor and just spend the money once, or kick yourself later for not doing it right.

Smile well I don't want cheap.... I already went down that road with other Chinese parts that never fit correct so I spent twice the money for used OG stuff.

So my car is all original and I want to keep the patina of it but the vinyl seats drive me nuts in the hot summer days and they are pretty ripped. I was hoping I could get some cloth for $500 or so but I guess not.

Thanks for the information

58 Bug
Womer EV3 Formula Vee
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 52 green-grey/ grey-green Cloth Interior Reply with quote

fvracer27 wrote:
jays58s wrote:
fvracer27 wrote:
jays58s wrote:
fvracer27 wrote:

Thanks for any help

Thanks

Smile well I don't want cheap.... I already went down that road with other Chinese parts that never fit correct so I spent twice the money for used OG stuff.

So my car is all original and I want to keep the patina of it but the vinyl seats drive me nuts in the hot summer days and they are pretty ripped. I was hoping I could get some cloth for $500 or so but I guess not.

Thanks for the information

Yeah, you won't get original style cloth seats for $500. His vinyl seat covers alone are $820, I'd call and see what he wants for his euro cloth covers.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 116, 117, 118 ... 146, 147, 148  Next
Jump to:
Page 117 of 148

Jump to: