Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'58/'59 Beetle Discussion
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 117, 118, 119 ... 146, 147, 148  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darrin900
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:57 am    Post subject: Body style Reply with quote

Can you determine body style by vin? Ex vert, sedan, sun roof?
Darrin900
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:44 pm    Post subject: Body style Reply with quote

Is a 1/11 a standard bug? If so what are the differences from a delux?
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who's holding out on a really nice set of original green/grey door panels that they want to sell me? Very Happy
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it just me? Whenever I see someone has bought a beetle newer than '59 I think why waste your time with that later crap. If somehow I bought a '61 I'd be thinking how can I get rid of it as quickly as possible? I just can't imagine what anyone wants with 60's or 70's beetles.

Of course I don't want everyone to want '59s as much as I do then they'd be barndoor deluxe prices and no one wants that. One of the great things about '59s over the years was that nobody wanted them so they were nice and cheap to buy. I guess the moral of the story is - don't tell anyone what great cars '59s are so they will continue to buy '61s thinking they've got something nice.

Don
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sunroof wrote:
Is it just me? Whenever I see someone has bought a beetle newer than '59 I think why waste your time with that later crap. If somehow I bought a '61 I'd be thinking how can I get rid of it as quickly as possible? I just can't imagine what anyone wants with 60's or 70's beetles.

Of course I don't want everyone to want '59s as much as I do then they'd be barndoor deluxe prices and no one wants that. One of the great things about '59s over the years was that nobody wanted them so they were nice and cheap to buy. I guess the moral of the story is - don't tell anyone what great cars '59s are so they will continue to buy '61s thinking they've got something nice.

Don

Shhhh, don't say anything, im also into 61's. I would hate for word to get out about them like it has started to do with the 58/59's. Laughing

Last edited by stale air on Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Push button door handles? Dished steering wheel? 40 horsepower motor? Bah! Who needs it.

Don
Mayor Marion Berry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know how I can fit this mirror on my 59 using the doodad that attaches to the threaded door hinge pin? It looks like there is part of a broken mirror in it.

If its a lost cause, anyone know of a replacement mount for this mirror?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

roonster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi guys i have just purchased oct built 58 but reg 59 i believe it to be a deluxe model its in a bit of a sad state but all repairable best bit for me interior brown red and only ripped at seams not on actual seats,so would i be right in saying my body colour should be kalahari beige??vin number is as follows 217709
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could also be Garnet red or black.

Don
roonster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi don sorry i should have stated that the car is beige in colour but about 3 different tones due to bad repairs etc through the years
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roonster wrote:
hi guys i have just purchased oct built 58 but reg 59 i believe it to be a deluxe model its in a bit of a sad state but all repairable best bit for me interior brown red and only ripped at seams not on actual seats,so would i be right in saying my body colour should be kalahari beige??vin number is as follows 217709

roonster wrote:
hi don sorry i should have stated that the car is beige in colour but about 3 different tones due to bad repairs etc through the years

Has the dash been repainted? If not, and since you said its beige in color, then yeah, I would say that more than likely its original color would have been Kalahari. Cool If the dash has been repainted, then I would try and find a spot on the car somewhere that has not been touched to determine what the original color is.
roonster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats about the best part on car i believe its a deluxe model obviously semaphored and a uk rhd 1owner but needs A LOT of work
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mayor Marion Berry wrote:
Anyone know how I can fit this mirror on my 59 using the doodad that attaches to the threaded door hinge pin? It looks like there is part of a broken mirror in it.

If its a lost cause, anyone know of a replacement mount for this mirror?

You could try drilling out the broken off portion that is inside. You didn't include a pic of your entire mirror, but you may have luck just looking for a replacement in the classifieds.

Here is a pic of the different mounting styles.

myvolks1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 52 green-grey/ grey-green Cloth Interior Reply with quote

I know where you can buy just the cloth for your seats for about $300.

fvracer27 wrote:
jays58s wrote:
fvracer27 wrote:
jays58s wrote:
fvracer27 wrote:
Can anyone point me to the best place to get a cloth interior kit for my August 1957 52 green-grey/grey-green

Also I would love to get some L 245 light bronze but I'm having trouble finding it.

Thanks for any help

http://www.classicvws.com/58-59_interior.htm

Thanks

Any less expensive options? classicvws do not list he cloth for 58-59

Lol, less expensive? Yeah, TMI, but it is not going to be 58-59 only interior, it'll be the same cheap and incorrect crap that everyone else runs. The company in the link I sent also carries the 58-59 only cloth interior for Euro models. If you want the correct interior, this company is your ONLY choice. Their interior is as close as you'll ever get unless you find nos interior and if you're wanting cheap, you'll be going back to the link I posted. Do yourself a favor and just spend the money once, or kick yourself later for not doing it right.

Smile well I don't want cheap.... I already went down that road with other Chinese parts that never fit correct so I spent twice the money for used OG stuff.

So my car is all original and I want to keep the patina of it but the vinyl seats drive me nuts in the hot summer days and they are pretty ripped. I was hoping I could get some cloth for $500 or so but I guess not.

Thanks for the information

WANTED: DEET EICHEL (Modesto, CA), license plate frames and other Deet Eichel related items.

Wanted: Original VW
MeeferMadness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:55 pm    Post subject: Sunroof material Reply with quote

I am in the process of restoring a 59 euro ragtop and could not come up with a definitive answer to what kind of sunroof material was original on the car. Seems like 95% of the cars I see all have canvas sunroofs, but As far as I know all the factory offered was vinyl. Anyone out there know what is really OG?
Thanks
Bruce
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Sunroof material Reply with quote

MeeferMadness wrote:
I am in the process of restoring a 59 euro ragtop and could not come up with a definitive answer to what kind of sunroof material was original on the car. Seems like 95% of the cars I see all have canvas sunroofs, but As far as I know all the factory offered was vinyl. Anyone out there know what is really OG?
Thanks
Bruce

Og from the factory was vinyl. If memory serves me, 55 and back would have been canvas.
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:42 am    Post subject: 58 rag,euro, front seat. Reply with quote

Maybe i should have posted here 1st , been looking thru posts 4 a front on pic of a correct front seat 4 a 58, a width measurement of the back also. My seats r in question, back is wider than bottom, not familiar with this yr as if it's correct. Looking for interior upholstery so dont want to get it if seats r wrong. So far all i get is side views, thanks.
BartD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: 58 rag,euro, front seat. Reply with quote

morymob wrote:
Maybe i should have posted here 1st , been looking thru posts 4 a front on pic of a correct front seat 4 a 58, a width measurement of the back also. My seats r in question, back is wider than bottom, not familiar with this yr as if it's correct. Looking for interior upholstery so dont want to get it if seats r wrong. So far all i get is side views, thanks.

The back is wider than de seat base.
Can mesure them if you want
YASHA7FOLD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm joining the 50's club. Just picked ths up. I was told it was a 58 but after resurch I'm tinking it might be a 59.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like it's Kalahari. That would make it a 59. Anymore pics you can share?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 117, 118, 119 ... 146, 147, 148  Next
Jump to:
Page 118 of 148

Jump to: