Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'58/'59 Beetle Discussion
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 120, 121, 122 ... 146, 147, 148  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Oh ok, I checked and my steering column is definately like the one on the right with the narrow bulge. It's just big enough for the plastic bushing to drop into place and still allow the turn signal switch to snug up close enough to the cancel ring. More people should chime in on this though my car is not all original. IIRC, your car is euro? I've never taken a semaphore switch apart, or any standard model beetle column, so maybe that is the difference? It's not bus.... I don't think type 3 ever had a horn brush?? Ghia did have some differences by the late 50's. I'm no expert on those.... It's possible it could be from another euro car of the era..... Now I'm as confused as you! Very Happy

They're never really ever finished 58 rag build...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658092
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
YouBugMe58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

My 59 Euro ragtop had the short flang. I remember cause the bushing I ordered from WW was to long and I had to cut it down to fit the short flanged tube. I dont have a picture sorry.
Only 3 things matter in life, Those you Love, Those whom Love you and Your final Destination! Enjoy Them.
Seriously - If there is something you don't like about my car keep it to yourself.
MeeferMadness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies! Looks like I will use the short bushing tube. Couple of more questions; is there a difference in the drivers/vs passenger visors or are they the same. I had heard the passenger is longer, but not sure if the actual visor is longer or is it just mounted to a longer arm off the mirror?
Also what kind/style of Neiman steering lock is correct for a 58/59 car?
Thanks
Bruce
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Here's something I found interesting: I cut some repair pieces out of an August of 57 car from the boot floor. While making up a repair piece for my '59 I noticed this difference. The flange on the earlier piece is much smaller that the later one. Chalk this up to one of the many small changes between 58 and 59.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Don
Dewayne Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

What is it about an older Beetle that makes it so 'cute' when it has snow on it?
My '59 Euro Sunroof driver

Sorry, I forgot to rotate before I posted.... Razz

Drive 'em if ya got 'em, and don't brag if you didn't do the work yourself...

'64 SO34
'60 SO23
Ben Ingraham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

I have a '58 pan with new halves. I also have the title. However, the title I have was for a sale in 1987. It was never retitled. Does anyone here know the process to title just a pan not a rolling car? I'd like to sell this pan with a current and legal title.

Long story short. I purchased a '58 rag that was sold to me with a '60 pan. With the purchase I was given the matching '58 pan. The '58 car was retitled to me, but now I am trying to sell the pan because it is just taking space.

Any help is appreciated.
aoshahid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:44 am    Post subject: Original Ragtop? Reply with quote

Hello all,

I'm in the process of buying a late '58 Euro spec sunroof Beetle that is in a rather sorry state and in need of a full restoration. Given the substantial investment required, it would be nice to know (pending a birth certificate) whether it's likely to be an original sunroof car.

The headliner has obviously been changed, and the gap between the door and the roof is forklift damage.

I know it may be difficult to tell, but any indications based on the handle, bows etc. would be much appreciated - really just whether the setup looks to be 'correct' for a 58/59.

Thanks

Aleem

pops711
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

until what year did VW have a manual choke?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

pops711 wrote:
until what year did VW have a manual choke?

RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Ben Ingraham wrote:
I have a '58 pan with new halves. I also have the title. However, the title I have was for a sale in 1987. It was never retitled. Does anyone here know the process to title just a pan not a rolling car? I'd like to sell this pan with a current and legal title.

Long story short. I purchased a '58 rag that was sold to me with a '60 pan. With the purchase I was given the matching '58 pan. The '58 car was retitled to me, but now I am trying to sell the pan because it is just taking space.

Any help is appreciated.

Put the '58 body back on the '58 pan. Sell off the '60 pan.
1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
Matthew Tolbert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

RareAir wrote:
Ben Ingraham wrote:

Any help is appreciated.

Put the '58 body back on the '58 pan. Sell off the '60 pan.

This is what I would do also. To me it makes the car more valuable and easier to sell later if needed. I will not buy a car not on the original pan.
1965 Notchback S
JoelH
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

I just picked up this car today. To my best knowledge, it is a 1959 Canadian Deluxe. If you have any info you'd be able to share, I'd love to hear more. Here are some pictures of it.

'60 DD SWR Panel
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2522353#2522353

'62 Gulf Blue Ragtop Bug
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=420720&highlight=

'60 Black RHD Beetle
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6478591#6478591

1965 Sea Sand L568 Notchback
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8307805#8307805
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
63CabDriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

I just bought a 58 euro ragtop and was comparing the vin number on it to the samba VIN table and on the samba's VIN table it states 58 started with VIN # 1637 038 in August of 1957. My VIN on the pan and the body starts with 1607. So is it a really early 58 or ????
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

63CabDriver wrote:
I just bought a 58 euro ragtop and was comparing the vin number on it to the samba VIN table and on the samba's VIN table it states 58 started with VIN # 1637 038 in August of 1957. My VIN on the pan and the body starts with 1607. So is it a really early 58 or ????

It was produced in August of 1957 so it is an early 1958 model year Beetle. The numbers on the VIN table are for the last car produced that month. My understanding is that some of the very early 1958 cars have something more like oval window brakes -- something to check out on yours.
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

This car was produced during the second week of August 1957 and had '57 style brakes.

Don
63CabDriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

sunroof wrote:

This car was produced during the second week of August 1957 and had '57 style brakes.

Don

Is the first four digits on your VIN number earlier or later than mine (1607)?
Darrin900
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Looking at armrest did the 58-59 use the same ones as ovals?
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

63CabDriver wrote:
sunroof wrote:

Don

Is the first four digits on your VIN number earlier or later than mine (1607)?

I sold that car to a friend who needed a chassis for a 58 rag. I can ask him to get the VIN.

Don
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Darrin900 wrote:

Yes, they are the same, the only difference being color.
Darrin900
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

stale air wrote:
Darrin900 wrote:

Yes, they are the same, the only difference being color.

Awesome found a nos one at the bug o rama yesterday:)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 120, 121, 122 ... 146, 147, 148  Next
Jump to:
Page 121 of 148

Jump to: