Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'58/'59 Beetle Discussion
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 123, 124, 125 ... 146, 147, 148  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

hsosa1 wrote:
question vin number #2359010 march 59' rag . im trying to confirm if this car is a real rag or not . I looked at the rag and its not welded body plate show type 11 is that right for a rag?

Yeah, data plate up on the apron isnt going to tell you if its a 117 or not. Only way to tell, is like what you did, look to make sure it wasnt grafted, or by ordering a birth cert for it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hsosa1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

stale air wrote:
hsosa1 wrote:
question vin number #2359010 march 59' rag . im trying to confirm if this car is a real rag or not . I looked at the rag and its not welded body plate show type 11 is that right for a rag?

Yeah, data plate up on the apron isnt going to tell you if its a 117 or not. Only way to tell, is like what you did, look to make sure it wasnt grafted, or by ordering a birth cert for it.
I did look up the body tags on samba rag the number wouldn't be 11 or 111 .ok order a birth cert . thanks
hsosa1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Long-roofs wrote:
'59 Fjord Blue Ragtop: Missing original fenders and hood Sad

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Nice 59
bsvwoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Original Restored Drivers side door panel.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bsvwoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

1958 beetle Original Chrome bumper and brackets just back from the painter.
bsvwoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Factory Rebuilt 36 HP. Exchange Engine. After a little cleaning.
bugjeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

I am looking at a 58 bug trying to figure out the numbers on the front chassis under the hood 37049 stamped into the chassis between the two aluminum tags can someone help thanks jeff
Matthew Tolbert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

The vin is on the larger of the two aluminum plates and also under the rear seat stamped into the tunnel beside the shift coupler.
1965 Notchback S
a.wilson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Apologies in advanced if this has been posted before. Checked around first but didn't see any recent posts/photos.

Came across this VW ad in Google image search while doing a search for April '59 Reader's Digest book.
A couple of Pinterest links said it was from February '59. (No way of confirming that.. but going to take their word for it).

oemwolf
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Nice! Very Happy ^
raycer60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

I bought my 59 disassembled and am now in the process of putting her back together. I have been searching for a while and also have the 58-60 Bentley and can't come up with an answer. I have a bowden sleeve for the clutch cable that fits perfect from the pan to the replacement synchro transmission. My question is: Is there a similar sleeve for the accelerator cable that will fit from the pan to the accelerator tube that comes from the engine? The earliest I have found is on a 66 Beetle but so far nothing for my 59. Did they come with one?
This is what I found and states that it fits 66-71 model beetles.

Dewayne Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Nope... no tube for the throttle cable. However Butty's Bits in the UK makes a neat throttle cable guide that keeps the cable from cutting into the transaxle housing... highly recommended!

Drive 'em if ya got 'em, and don't brag if you didn't do the work yourself...

'64 SO34
'60 SO23
raycer60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Thanks Dewayne. I looked at that roller guide and it is very clever. I will probably order one in the near future.

iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

does anybody know the first vin # for the 58' model year ( vin number for the very first square window bug )
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

iamdonquixote wrote:
does anybody know the first vin # for the 58' model year ( vin number for the very first square window bug )

scvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

I'm wanting to know what would be the correct air cleaner for my Dec. 57 built Coral Red ragtop. I can't see where these are dated like the bus ones are. I have a few more detail pics I'm my gallery if it would help.

SOUTHERN INTEGRITY AIRCOOLERS

WTB - Sigla popout glass like in my ad.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1667775
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Both the Mann on the right, and the Knecht would be correct. The Knecht's are undated but the Manns will have the date on the bottom.
bavarian1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Anyone have a nice clear pic of their front clip with the fender off, from the outside, either side? I need a reference for the curves and creases to try and straighten out a mess. Thx
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Here is my restoration thread. There might be pics that can help you:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...p;start=40

Don
bugn24-7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Just purchased my first 58 today. It is pretty complete, a little rust but fixable. Has an ashtray that I have not seen before it has what appears to be a place to lay two cigarettes. Can anyone tell me any information about it with this VIN tag and engine serial number? ( 2172815) Thanks in advance for any help. This page is full of good info.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 123, 124, 125 ... 146, 147, 148  Next
Jump to:
Page 124 of 148

Jump to: