Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

does a type 1 dual carb 2300+cc engine fit in a 914??
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
zaidigonzo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:53 pm    Post subject: does a type 1 dual carb 2300+cc engine fit in a 914?? Reply with quote

looking to get a 914 soon,
I have a 65 kombi and have had a ghia and a 64 bug. I have a spare 2300 cc bug engine and if I get the 914, I was thinking I could swap for more power. This 914 has a stock 1.7liter type 4 with dual 40 webers
Been trying to check out raby's site to see how much a strong type 4 long block costs but web site is not working..
Any suggestions??

Thank you

also have a euro 930 turbo, lsd, k27hfs, headers, rarly muffler, B&B intercooler and fabspeed airbox filter/eliminator, 1 bar spring and digital WUR with innovative afr 16/1gauge Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zaidigonzo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

71 914 stock engine and tranny. converted to "side shift"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wolfgangdieter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flywheel, clutch and starter will be issue! I'll swap you a '75 1.8L 914 core for that 2300cc though!
TC/TeamEvil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'll fit, depending upon the year of the 914 that you get. The earlier 914's have the same diameter flywheel as the VW.

If the VW engine has a universal case or is one from a VW Bus, you can use the '68 to '71 bus engine mount/crossmember as a base for securing it in the 914 engine bay, otherwise you'll either have to drill and tap the case or use one of those adapter plates that bolt over the oil pump cover. Sometimes these can cause a leak, if you use a torque strap to limit the engine movement it will help.

You' need to make up some aluminum filler sections to seal the engine compartment, but that's a snap, as is the exhaust.

Otherwise, it's no big deal. Just fabrication. Not entirely sure how the transaxle gearing is going to work with the engine, but so what, just get on with it you'll find out later.

Luck,

TC
Wolfgangdieter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Checkout great info at tunacan.net

"The 914/912E flywheel had a 215mm diameter face and used a unique pressure plate and disc to mate it to the Porsche transaxle. This flywheel differs from the VW flywheel in that the starter ring gear is offset differently and will cause a VW starter not to engage properly"

Issue is not the flywheel diameter but the offset of the external starter gear and the depth of the contact surface and diameter/height of clutch/pressure plated and throw out bearing. I've not tried it but if attempting it I'd surely mock it up on the ground before expending countless hours under car on your back.
zaidigonzo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

. I guess Il wait til the 1.7 dies before doing anything. Il just put that vw engine on the 65 bus after I do the long axle/gear redux delete conversion.
Thank you very much!
TC/TeamEvil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't imagine that the off set is TOO great since I used a VW semi automatic starter in my 914 and it worked wonderfully.

Not important anyway, sounds like the original poster is going to the fall back position. Too bad, this one seems like one worth pursuing since I bet a whole bunch of folks have considered this idea as an option. I know that I have . . .
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TC/TeamEvil wrote:
I don't imagine that the off set is TOO great since I used a VW semi automatic starter in my 914 and it worked wonderfully.

Not important anyway, sounds like the original poster is going to the fall back position. Too bad, this one seems like one worth pursuing since I bet a whole bunch of folks have considered this idea as an option. I know that I have . . .

Starter isn't the problem; it the location of the flywheel ring gear on the 914 flywheel vs the location of flywheel ring gear on T1 flywheel...

... regardless, the OP is going another route.

bnc
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: