Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Camshaft selection for a stock '69 1500SP Bug
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
doncoque
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarthWeber wrote:
... just check carefully to make sure your clearances are in spec... ...make sure to check clearances to make sure the shafts fit all the parts OK?

Could you explain to what clearences you refere exactly. Sorry to ask, but I'm just a newbe when it comes to engines. Rolling Eyes

DarthWeber wrote:
Anyway, with the cheater cam, cam kit with HD springs and solid rocker shafts it should make for a nice addition to your motor.

I'm sure it will. I will document the upgrade process and post a link here once it is done. Wink
DarthWeber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to get a copy of the Bentley VW manual for your year car. It has all the clearance specs and torques for nuts and bolts. For the rocker arms themselves the ID is 18.00 - 18.02mm with a wear limit of 18.04mm. The rocker shafts should have a diameter of 17.99 - 17.97mm with a wear limit of 17.95mm. The bolts on the end of the rocker shafts will have a torque spec to tighten.
doncoque
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok guys. Just got the parts this week. I also got the copy of the bently manual for the entire process.

I'm looking forward to the overhaul process during the following weeks. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks!
gooser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very good. by all means keep us updated.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: