Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ignition coil wiring problems
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlohaMyFriend
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:39 am    Post subject: 71 Bus Coil Wiring Reply with quote

My bus caught fire and burned a bunch a wires & now I'm trying to rewire everything correctly.
Could someone please give me some advice to figure everything out correctly?
So far I figure:
Coil negative terminal:
- Negative electronic ignition wire

Coil positive terminal:
+ Positive electronic ignition wire
+ Carb combo wires to pilot & choke
Then I believe the oil sensor wire & ignition dash wire should also be connected to the coil positive terminal but I'm not sure.

On the Picture I'm holding 2 wires coming from the right which I believe are to the back up light & key ignition switch, I'm also holding a 3rd wire coming from the left which I think is to the oil sensor dash light.
The electronic ignition positive & negative are connected to the coil. The wires to the carb are not connected nor pictured.
I'd also like to know what gauge wire is suitable. I checked at the auto store & they have a 10 gauge which handles up to 30 amps but I'm not sure if that's over doing it.
Also, where is the inline fuse suppose to be located?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Rob711
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What caused fire?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: