Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Compu-fire electronic ignition
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bugninva
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcelhaney14 wrote:
I wonder if the hotter temperatures of the air cooled engine have anything to do with the failure of the electronic ignitions.

our engine bays are not really any hotter than any others, at least while running...

GEX has. Just sayin
delmar acer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Compu-fire electronic ignition Reply with quote

My mechanic just installed a CompuFire electronic ignition in my 82 Westy AC. At engine temp and shut down (say for gas or a convenience store stop) it would not restart. No, its not the coil. Sad
In talking with other where I live, 2 more people have had problems with the ignition module. Reminds me of cheap China stuff. So, I am out the cost. It isn't the mechanic's fault so he won't pay for the parts. Next time, its the BOSCH
3BOS4U1 system.
Sad Mad

Bob
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Compu-fire electronic ignition Reply with quote

delmar acer wrote:
Next time, its the BOSCH 3BOS4U1 system.
Sad Mad

Bob

The 3BOS4U1 is make by Hot spark... not Bosch. And guess where it's made Think

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
delmar acer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Compu-fire electronic ignition Reply with quote

Glenn,
Thanks. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Bob
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Compu-fire electronic ignition Reply with quote

Points... i'm not a fan of electronic points replacements.

Pertronix seems to be the most popular but i've seen them fail also.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Compu-fire electronic ignition Reply with quote

delmar acer wrote:
Glenn,
Thanks. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Bob

Phone Compufire.

I had a module fail after I lengthened the wires on it. They were more than happy to replace the module at no cost, then I told them about the mod and they apologized but retracted the offer, no fault of theirs, but they were more than willing to stand behind their product until then.

Even major manufacturers have failures. I used to test drive ford 4 bangers with half a dozen ignition modules on the passengers seat because half of them failed right out of the box. Dodge lean burn boxes were another item we filled the back seat with when we took them for a drive.

No need to call something a piece of shite because of a few failures, it happens with everything and as long as the manufacturer stands behind their product, it's all good. Not sure why your shop didn't stand behind the part they provided and installed, that's not usually the way it works.

brad
herbie1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: Compu-fire electronic ignition Reply with quote

The best solution: buy a complete distributor with electronic points (~60€ or $), install it.
And keep the whole old distributor (still working!) as a spare under the rear seat. Plus a surely working ignition coil.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: