Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Distracted driver law in Oklahoma
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The state of Iowa is trying to pass a law on texting while driving. The Senate originated the bill, and then the house tried to water it down to where it would just be for teenagers with their temporary licenses.
The teenagers protested, and said it should be everyone.
But it does not say anything about cell phones or reading the newspaper while driving, or putting on make-up, or pleasuring the driver. Just texting.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NiccoHel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why not just put a ban on having so many damn kids? fewer people on the road, fewer people to talk/text to, fewer people clogging up hospitals/the educational systems/prisons/etc.

we could save the world, one condom at a time.
Mr. Loaf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eating? Believe me, there's a lot of people in Oklahoma who could afford to miss a meal or two. But I'll sure miss the Hottie that I see every day putting on her pouting red lips at 75 mph.
frijole73b
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
I guess this guy is guilty.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Glenn, did you personally take picture?

or is that you in the car. Very Happy

"everthing is always for sale for the right price"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mlhsquared
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
I guess this guy is guilty.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

She's obviously chasing down a french fry...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnnypan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is not a person alive who would defend cancer or the deaths caused by it as an right or a freedom.Yet the biggest cause of preventable death in America...over 60,000 a year die in auto related accidents...and people think its a right not to do the simple expedient of devoting their full concentration to operating the car safely.We as a society have grown insulated to "traffic fatalities",its mainly reported as a statistic in mundane government reports.Perhaps its time we got a little more graphic with the results of fatal auto accidents....sear some images in the minds of people as a deterrent to bad driving habits.
Emeritusx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnnypan wrote:
Emeritusx wrote:
The last thing this country needs is more laws.... Not being distracted is a responsibility, and should not be a farkin' law.

More laws for freedom - not for me, just pay attention, sheesh... I think its just more control freaks controlling the sheeple...

Choosing to be distracted while engaged in a potentially deadly activity should be against the law...that doesnt constrict freedom, it provides a safer environment.

If your responsible you wouldn't choose incorrectly.

When you take your driving test and sign the document you are promising not to do that... So is everyone a liar? More laws.. yup...

edit: I am just sayin' people do not hold honor and responsibility in esteem anymore... Sign a loan, but do not pay, sign a promise, but do not keep it... It is the moral degradation of man that requires attention..
Madtat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee. wrote:
johnnypan wrote:
Emeritusx wrote:
The last thing this country needs is more laws.... Not being distracted is a responsibility, and should not be a farkin' law.

More laws for freedom - not for me, just pay attention, sheesh... I think its just more control freaks controlling the sheeple...

Choosing to be distracted while engaged in a potentially deadly activity should be against the law...that doesnt constrict freedom, it provides a safer environment.

So does gun control.

Gun control means being able to hit your target....at 65mph!!! Twisted Evil
Lee.
Samba Animal Controller

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ Wolfe wrote:
The state of Iowa is trying to pass a law on texting while driving. The Senate originated the bill, and then the house tried to water it down to where it would just be for teenagers with their temporary licenses.
The teenagers protested, and said it should be everyone.
But it does not say anything about cell phones or reading the newspaper while driving, or putting on make-up, or pleasuring the driver. Just texting.

They passed that here last year.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicksan wrote:
I was under the impression that "wreckless driving" could be applied to any person doing anything that could cause an accident and the specific laws against such things as eating or cell phone use were not necessary, maybe its just a California thing.

"Inattentive driving" is against the law. It applies to all the activities posted so far. We don't need more laws, just more judicious enforcement of the laws we have. That, and less f#%&ing lawyers to find stupid reasons for people with the means to get away with murder.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stupid and worthless update 5 years after starting this thread.

Oklahoma finally passed a law banning texting while driving effective Nov,1 2015.
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:

Oklahoma finally passed a law banning texting while driving effective Nov,1 2015.

Welcome to the club. CA has had this law since 2009.

In CA however it is NOT illegal to use the maps feature on your phone while driving. My iPhone runs multiple apps at the same time. If I ever get pulled over for texting I'll simply switch over to my maps and say I'm lost. Problem solved, ticket avoided.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cali_Army_Guy wrote:
If I ever get pulled over for texting I'll simply switch over to my maps and say I'm lost. Problem solved, ticket avoided.

No, problem not solved.
The real problem is that you're not smart enough to recognize how foolish it is to text while driving.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWKDF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
Cali_Army_Guy wrote:
If I ever get pulled over for texting I'll simply switch over to my maps and say I'm lost. Problem solved, ticket avoided.

No, problem not solved.
The real problem is that you're not smart enough to recognize how foolish it is to text while driving.

Also I doubt you will be quick enough to delete the history of the text. So hopefully you will be caught and ticketed, and maybe learn a lesson before you injure someone.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:

Dave up here in Tulsa nobody cares, although they passed this law it has not slowed idiots down from doing it. I still see it all the time. Several weeks ago I saw a cop texting and smoking a cig completely distracted, personally I don't give a shit what people do. Like Ron white said "you can't fix stupid". Wife's car has Bluetooth if you don't take your eyes off the road is that ok?. I remember a time before cell phones and computers, what did we do?
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
vwracerdave wrote:

Dave up here in Tulsa nobody cares, although they passed this law it has not slowed idiots down from doing it. I still see it all the time. Several weeks ago I saw a cop texting and smoking a cig completely distracted, personally I don't give a shit what people do. Like Ron white said "you can't fix stupid". Wife's car has Bluetooth if you don't take your eyes off the road is that ok?. I remember a time before cell phones and computers, what did we do?

Read the newspaper.
Or a magazine.
vdubyah73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: distracted driver law in Oklahoma Reply with quote

Distracted driving laws are as old as dirt. We don't need all these new cell phone/texting laws. I remember my dad getting a ticket for eating a sammich, I got one for fiddling with a 8 track. Fricken nanny states ought to just enforce the laws they have with the highest fines allowed, pay the fine or fight it either way it'll be a pain in the ass for the idiots that can't drive without wobbling when they fiddle about.

Bill

73 bounty hunter, sold.
'77 transporter, junked had crotch rot.
Dubless, but have a CPR built stroker waiting for a new to me Beetle
'93 Fleetwood Bounder 34'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: distracted driver law in Oklahoma Reply with quote

vdubyah73 wrote:
... just enforce the laws they have with the highest fines allowed,
Bill

This ^^^. Around here, the fear of a ticket is nothing- it's a part time worker's day wages. If the price of a ticket were raised enough so that it impacts somebody- that's the only way they'll learn. Boise's bedroom communities also seem to compete for stats on hitting kids with their cars and leaving kids in the car at Walmart. Last week a chick hugged the shoulder to play with her phone and rolled down a small ravine. These are distracted a-holes who need a bankruptcy and to serve time. Just Friday a bitch hit two kids because she was too lazy to scrape her frozen windshield. We're talking about one car vs. pedestrian or biker every week for the last 4 weeks here. And we're not a huge metropolis. Visit idahostatesman.com to see how far off I am on these recent stories.

I think ticket values should be scaled. Driving alone texting, $100. With a child in the car with you $200- two kids- $300 and so forth. A price on each life guaranteed to be directly affected. Shit, I think any adult passenger should be given a $20 fine for letting the driver be a dickhole. Peer pressure. That will put some of these dillholes who are endangering their families and others on notice.

A DUI in Boise usually consists of you getting pulled over for weaving; breathed; jailed, and you ruin your life for a few years. No worries, you can buy a 49cc scooter and ride it at 35 with no license in the gutters anywhere! Woohoo! Lower speeds of course in town- but still dangerous.

But in the country at high speed, you DUI yourself and you skyrocket into the Snake River in Twin Falls (a jackass just did- one mile from where Evel Knievel tried the rocketcycle). Then they send divers to see what the top side of your Buick looks like (he was just ID'd yesterday). These are the same speeds people are texting and applying mascara.

Happy Motoring Cool

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:
vwracerdave wrote:

Read the newspaper
Or a magazine.

What do you like national geographic or Hustler?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: distracted driver law in Oklahoma Reply with quote

Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: