Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 64, 65, 66 ... 135, 136, 137  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
BavarianWrench
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks and don't be sorry. It is liberating driving a Syncro
Westfalia without reseve. I don't want to derail one of my favorite threads, so enough talk of my rig here. At some point I may post a build of GoRusty. That's my van's name. Pm me an email I'll send you a few pics of it.
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure most of you have Craigslist notifiers set up on you smartphones. I just don't understand why someone thinks they need to repost their 4 used syncro drive shafts every 4 hours. If I needed a drive shaft, I'd search for it, no need for it to be on top of the first CL page for months. Come on.

Then again, it might be a strategy by a Front Ranger to get everyone to turn off their notifiers so they can get the jump on that $2000 syncro. Sneaky.

-d
91 Westy (Only the top 12 inches of this van (a burn victim))
BlueGrasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1981 Air cooled Van with a funky paint job for $12K?! Rolling Eyes

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/5189637356.html

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlueGrasser wrote:

Hey.... that's a discount price, because there isn't a functioning heater, nor window regulators ( window regulators? this is an 81 )
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

levi wrote:
BlueGrasser wrote:

Hey.... that's a discount price, because there isn't a functioning heater, nor window regulators ( window regulators? this is an 81 )

Just because it has manual windows doesn't mean it won't have regulators.
http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/smartlist_177/window-regulator

What gets me is the claim the kitchen has never been used in 34 years?

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's at it again. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1816439
Isn't odometer rollback/swapping a Federal crime?
This Doka and (others he has listed) has a ZZZ vin meaning the vehicle came from Europe where they use kilometer per hour speedos (except England of course, but then those are RHD) The rigs he's selling have MPH speedos, obviously swapped out from salvage yard.
He claims these low miles "documented" because he gets some clerk in New Jersey to list the milage showing on a replaced odometer.
Fraud!
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/pix/6355717.jpg
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/pix/6355718.jpg

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not even a vanagon speedometer.
katzenjammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:48 am    Post subject: ! Reply with quote

So a while back I saw an interesting Westy for sale in CA. I already have one, so I'm not really in the market, just rubber necking. After a while, the ad goes away. Then a few weeks later I see one for sale by a dealer in another state and the picture looks vaguely familiar. After some emails, here's what I know:

According to the original the seller, it sold for about 20% under his asking price, due to "significant rust". The dealer is now offering it for sale at a price that's more than 25% over the original seller's asking price, which is more than 50% above what he paid for it, i.e. originally offered for $1, sold for $0.80, and now offered by dealer for more than $1.25.

None of that really bothers me--it's a free country (sort of). What does bother me a little is that the dealer tells me (paraphrasing) "No, it has no rust at all. We don't bother with rusty vehicles."

Okay, done whining...
Westy1999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For only $37,500 this stock Westy with nearly 300,000 miles on it can be yours!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161810115974?forcerRptr=true&item=161810115974&viewitem=
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: ! Reply with quote

katzenjammer wrote:
So a while back I saw an interesting Westy for sale in CA. I already have one, so I'm not really in the market, just rubber necking. After a while, the ad goes away. Then a few weeks later I see one for sale by a dealer in another state and the picture looks vaguely familiar. After some emails, here's what I know:

According to the original the seller, it sold for about 20% under his asking price, due to "significant rust". The dealer is now offering it for sale at a price that's more than 25% over the original seller's asking price, which is more than 50% above what he paid for it, i.e. originally offered for $1, sold for $0.80, and now offered by dealer for more than $1.25.

None of that really bothers me--it's a free country (sort of). What does bother me a little is that the dealer tells me (paraphrasing) "No, it has no rust at all. We don't bother with rusty vehicles."

Okay, done whining...

If we care about our vehicles and our Vanagon "community", (and I do) we will do everything we can to educate new buyers.

When someone asks me about buying their first Vanagon and/or Westy, (and I get asked fairly often) I let them have the ugly truth side first.. If they are still interested, then we can talk about the joys of owning.

Fact is, I'd have a hard time paying this kind of money if I were in the market for a Westy.. I'd probably opt for an older T-100 or Tundra and put a basic camper on it, instead.

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
DwarfVader
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: ! Reply with quote

katzenjammer wrote:

Okay, done whining...

in a year plus of looking for my own westy (and trying to fix my finances so I can actually buy my own westy,) I've seen a lot of this kind of nonsense...

The sad part being is I see decent in shape westy's going for less than the asking price from folks who clearly don't know a lot about westys... (and in most cases the actual selling price IS more reasonable) And then those same rigs being turned around and sold for 5k+ on top of what the buyer paid for it... And only because they know they can flip it with almost zero work or money invested.

To me it's a bit disgusting, esp as someone trying to find their own westy with only so much $$ to go around... These assholes are just raising the already high cost of these rigs. Evil or Very Mad

I'll find my van someday, or it will find me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Signalocity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: ! Reply with quote

DwarfVader wrote:
katzenjammer wrote:

Okay, done whining...

in a year plus of looking for my own westy (and trying to fix my finances so I can actually buy my own westy,) I've seen a lot of this kind of nonsense...

The sad part being is I see decent in shape westy's going for less than the asking price from folks who clearly don't know a lot about westys... (and in most cases the actual selling price IS more reasonable) And then those same rigs being turned around and sold for 5k+ on top of what the buyer paid for it... And only because they know they can flip it with almost zero work or money invested.

To me it's a bit disgusting, esp as someone trying to find their own westy with only so much $$ to go around... These assholes are just raising the already high cost of these rigs. Evil or Very Mad

You just paraphrased the entire used car industry, that's how it works. I have bought a few vehicles on the cheap and resold them, does that make me an asshole, because I can spot a good deal? Price is set by supply and demand, not people flipping cars. If people are buying at high prices, that's because the demand is there for it. The ones that go cheap, go quick. That applies to any make or model, it's not exclusive to VW vans. I understand why your upset, but whether or not you think it is reasonable makes no difference. The price is only going to go up.
katzenjammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: ! Reply with quote

Signalocity wrote:
You just paraphrased the entire used car industry, that's how it works. I have bought a few vehicles on the cheap and resold them, does that make me an asshole, because I can spot a good deal? Price is set by supply and demand, not people flipping cars. If people are buying at high prices, that's because the demand is there for it. The ones that go cheap, go quick. That applies to any make or model, it's not exclusive to VW vans. I understand why your upset, but whether or not you think it is reasonable makes no difference. The price is only going to go up.

I don't disagree. If that dealer can get 50% more back East than the guy he bought it from could in California, that's just the way it is. (He just won't get it from me.) What did bother me is that he apparently told the seller it was rusty, and then turned around and told me that it had no rust.

Buyer beware. Seller beware.
Signalocity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: ! Reply with quote

katzenjammer wrote:
I don't disagree. If that dealer can get 50% more back East than the guy he bought it from could in California, that's just the way it is. (He just won't get it from me.) What did bother me is that he apparently told the seller it was rusty, and then turned around and told me that it had no rust.

Buyer beware. Seller beware.

That's another story, but completely agree with you on that point. Never go by what an ad claims, make your own observations or have it inspected.

Sadly the days of the wanderer/dreamer/hippy camper van that you could pile into with your buddies and fix on the side of the road for cheap are all but gone. They are collector status now and sought after, just the way it goes. There are some vehicles I would love to get into, but are vastly out of my price range. I can't exactly blame the market for that.
CdnVWJunkie Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1738929

T3 TDI Syncro Tristar FS. Literally FS for months on end. I imported this many years ago on behalf of the current seller. It's a really clean rig. I'm seriously baffled at why this hasn't sold yet? I thought it was a good deal when he had it posted @ $35K, now it's a downright steal @ $25k.

I will state that I do believe additional quality photos would help. The seller does live in a rather populated VW area so someone could 3rd party inspect it.
katzenjammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like this should be in the "Good deals..." thread, rather than the "Official Whine...". It's a very cool Syncro.
Dan

CdnVWJunkie wrote:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1738929

T3 TDI Syncro Tristar FS. Literally FS for months on end. I imported this many years ago on behalf of the current seller. It's a really clean rig. I'm seriously baffled at why this hasn't sold yet? I thought it was a good deal when he had it posted @ $35K, now it's a downright steal @ $25k.

I will state that I do believe additional quality photos would help. The seller does live in a rather populated VW area so someone could 3rd party inspect it.
tarandusVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really hammered interior, most of the Tristar carpet gone, stained seats, warped door cards, rust in the door, big crease in another door...its been used heavily.
BlueGrasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Threw a rod and they still think they can get over $10K with basically no engine?!

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/5210936596.html

Wow, people are crazy lately... Rolling Eyes
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlueGrasser wrote:
Threw a rod and they still think they can get over $10K with basically no engine?!

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/5210936596.html

Wow, people are crazy lately... Rolling Eyes

Only 245,000 miles and no reefer, such a deal.....

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
MayorMcCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1525654

$1400.00 steering rack
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 64, 65, 66 ... 135, 136, 137  Next
Jump to:
Page 65 of 137

Jump to: